Sand trap for TSS?

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
alpha burnt

Sand trap for TSS?

Post by alpha burnt »

Different kind of trap. TSS has me thinking about making a form out of 2x4, facing with drywall and filling with sand. If I am right, a bullet would have a hard time making it through the sand, much less shot. Sifting sand to recover TSS shot when drywall begins to fail. Has anyone tried this? I have seen the others, thought this may be cheaper and less deformation on the shot. Probably more labor intensive though.
alpha burnt

Re: Sand trap for TSS?

Post by alpha burnt »

TSS has a density of 18 g/cc and gold is 19.3 g/cc, guess you could pan the sand too?
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I use rubber roofing .045. Eight layers and works real well. The sand and drywall will be messier and more labor some. With the right design, a trap built with a way of screening the shot as the sand was released out of the bottom then the sand reused and a trap face that held the sand in the trap would work. If it was to stay permanent and not to be hauled.
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

https://youtu.be/0F8y_nc7TlM

Found this on youtube, guy used rubber matting inside the shooting side and described it as self sealing, keeping the sand in. I believe the shooting side probably needs to be a thin but durable medium, probably not drywall...My thoughts on drywall are a bit off as I could not imagine it taking too many patterns before turning to powdery mess. Maybe the rubber would suffice on the shooting side?
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

The TSS will not deform no matter what you shoot it into. Only thing I have ever seen it do is shatter when shot against the back of my steel box trap.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Johndoe wrote:The TSS will not deform no matter what you shoot it into. Only thing I have ever seen it do is shatter when shot against the back of my steel box trap.
I think you are correct about the deformation. I reclaim most of the TSS I shoot when working up patterns and sighting in guns. I think the only thing that will deform TSS is TSS. A small percentage (maybe 5%) that I recover have a flat spot or dimple on them. A much, much smaller percentage are split in two. I think that damage happens in the shell upon ignition as the pellets smash against each other.
Last edited by Spuriosity on June 2nd, 2015, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

I did not realize that about the TSS. Does not deform but will shatter. Guess the mat style is the best.

Return to “DIY”