Ribs

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
3toe

Ribs

Post by 3toe »

This 4th I tried ribs on the Kamado Joe for the first time. I used the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs but shortened it to 2-2-1 since I was cooking baby backs. For those that don't know, this method is 2 hrs smoke, 2 hours in foil on the grill, 1 hour grill unwrapped with sauce brushed on. Temp is at 225 degrees Let me tell you, they were fall off the bone. I only have a picture of them about to be taken off, but I think you can see they were cooked right. I cooked 4 slabs and I don't think there was one rib left after we were done eating.

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Ribs

Post by Gobbler »

Man those look great!
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Those do look good.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

My wife can make a rack of deer ribs taste like pork ribs and they fall off the bone. First remove all the fat you can with a knife, then put them in a pressure cooker for about 90 mins. at about 10 lbs. pressure. That will melt and blow the rest of the fat out of them. Then layer in a roasting pan with your favorite BBQ sauce and roast at 350 for another 2-3 hours. Will be the best ribs you have had.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Man!!!, I don't know how I missed this! Those are some of the finest lookin ribs I've ever seen!!
Do you take orders?? Dam, I just ate, and that still made my mouth water,...lol.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Grumpy wrote:My wife can make a rack of deer ribs taste like pork ribs and they fall off the bone. First remove all the fat you can with a knife, then put them in a pressure cooker for about 90 mins. at about 10 lbs. pressure. That will melt and blow the rest of the fat out of them. Then layer in a roasting pan with your favorite BBQ sauce and roast at 350 for another 2-3 hours. Will be the best ribs you have had.
That sounds so simple even I could do it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

Looking good, I havent done babybacks in a while as I'm more consistent with spares... May need to give them a try again....
BrentM

Ribs

Post by BrentM »

I'm gonna try that....... I've been doing 3-1-1 at a little higher temp, but I always like to experiment.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

It looks as if you are cooking on a kamado.. My whole problem with the 2-2-1 on the Akorn Kamado is the super moist cooking environment of the kamado does not allow the color to set and I still have a pile of moisture on top the ribs at the 2 hour mark.. I normally have to go 2.5+ before foiling.. And I have gone to reducing foil time so they do not fall off the bone.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
3toe

Post by 3toe »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:It looks as if you are cooking on a kamado.. My whole problem with the 2-2-1 on the Akorn Kamado is the super moist cooking environment of the kamado does not allow the color to set and I still have a pile of moisture on top the ribs at the 2 hour mark.. I normally have to go 2.5+ before foiling.. And I have gone to reducing foil time so they do not fall off the bone.
Yes, I am cooking on a Kamado Joe. Never had an issue with moisture sitting on them at the 2 hr mark. If I don't want them falling off the bone I will use 3 hrs smoke, 1 hr foil, 1 hour unwrapped.

Return to “Camp Dinner”