1 can of Garbanzo Beans (drained)
String and small piece of cheese cloth

Homemade Chili Powder

3 Tbs Paprika
1 Tbs Ground Cumin
2 Tbs Oregano
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder

For extra heat add Crushed Red pepper to taste.

Get your cooking pot, and add in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, diced hot peppers, and chili powder, and get those cooking down on Med High while you brown your meat.

Once you get your meat browned, drain it if you have any fat, and add it in to your mix of veggies and spices. It should be cooking good by now, so turn it down to about medium heat.

Take your cheese cloth, and wrap your Scotch Bonnet or Habanero up whole (make sure stem stays attached), tie it up with your piece of string, and leave about a foot or so tag of string on the end so you don’t lose it.

Place the pepper wrapped in the cheese cloth in the center of your pan, and make sure to let your tag hang out of the pot so you can keep tabs on it. Cook at medium low heat with the pepper for about 1 hr.

Remove the pepper very carefully after an hour (the key is to not bust the pepper, but allow some heat to cook out through the whole pepper, as to not get that scorching burn from the extremely hot pepper but a milder heat with the same flavor characteristics). Add your 3 cans of beans, and cook for 1 more hour.

Now you are ready to chow down. The flavor gets even better as the flavors marinate over the next few days.
Last edited by slickyboyboo on October 18th, 2012, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: My rendition of Deer Chili!

Post by Spuriosity »

Sounds good to me, especially the habanero. I'm a habanero fiend. My bushes are about played out...can't stand the cool weather. But I've got a lot of hot sauce put up for the long pepperless winter. Hard to beat venison chili. We throw a party every year and invite a couple dozen people for venison chili. Everyone loves it...even the ones that profess to not liking game.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Yep, that habanero makes it pop, but cooking it that way, keeps it from being too hot to eat. I have to agree about the folks not liking game, you can set beef and deer side by side, and when cooked right the deer will always disappear first if no one is told what it is.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Heck yeah, deer is good!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Slickyboo, that chili sounds great. I like your chili powder recipe. Got to try them both.
Spur, I've been a habanero head for years now. I've got a habanero pepper jelly recipe that I've made for years. I used to cook the left-over peppers in a crock pot (outside) in vinegar with a head of garlic to make pepper sauce. I tried something different last fall. Last fall, I grew 5 lbs. of red habaneros. I harvested and fermented them uncooked in a ceramic crock for about 6 weeks and it yielded about 2/3 gallon of bright red mash that has been aging in glass jars in the fridge since last November. The plan is to use a hand cranked food mill to remove pulp and seeds and cut it with one part vinegar to two parts mash. It's not an original recipe but it looks simple and good enough for me. It's already got a smooth flavor and is plenty hot now. I'll probably bottle it up around the holidays. Gil
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I am going to do an antelope french dip tomorrow
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dang Barry, I still can't figure out how you managed to stay fit and trim, with all those sweet recipes of yours,...lol
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Shooter wrote:Dang Barry, I still can't figure out how you managed to stay fit and trim, with all those sweet recipes of yours,...lol
Ha Ha, Tommy, I only wish I was still as fit and trim as I was in college. Back then I could eat whatever and be fine, now days I have to work at it! :D

Return to “Camp Dinner”