Grilled Backstrap

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Grilled Backstrap

Post by Johndoe »

For years I liked venison but did not love it. It was too dry or too tough and so on. People fried it with too much crap on it. They wrapped it in bacon or put a marinade on it.
I have found the perfect way to grill it with very little STUFF on it and its the best I can find.
1st Never Freeze Backstrap. Eat it or send it to me. :D
2nd Never salt meat before you cook it. It will dry it out.
3rd Good meat dont need it and bad meat dont deserve it. (Marinades), (A1)
Take 1LB of butter and melt in a small sauce pan. Then put in a teaspoon of lemon juice. Then 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. Fresh is even better but not needed.

Here is the key. Cook the butter and stuff till it boils and browns a touch. The flavors must meld together.

I cut my straps in half cause 1 end is always thicker.
Set them on a med hot grill and baste. Flip them and baste again then close the lid.
Check them in a couple minutes and baste before and after the flip.
Cook them till they are still red in the middle but will burn your finger when you touch the red after you cut it open.
Let sit for a couple minutes and slice. Only salt and pepper to taste after you have sliced and placed on a plate.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Grilled Backstrap

Post by HuntnMa »

Cooked it like that before, awesome.....
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

The simpler,the better.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Yep My thought is if you want Bacon grill it and eat it while the strap is cookin.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Might be ok, but I am not eating any wild game meat that is pink or red in the middle, sorry but too many little things to be contracted from uncooked meat. I like deer, elk and antelope but I like my cooked.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Grumpy wrote:Might be ok, but I am not eating any wild game meat that is pink or red in the middle, sorry but too many little things to be contracted from uncooked meat. I like deer, elk and antelope but I like my cooked.
10-4
Send it all to me. When you cook it done you ruin it.

John

What's up with that
BrentM

Grilled Backstrap

Post by BrentM »

Anything beyond medium rare and you start to ruin venison or duck in my opinion. I've always figured that's why a lot of folks say they don't like wild game: they never had any that wasn't burnt
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Johndoe wrote:For years I liked venison but did not love it. It was too dry or too tough and so on. People fried it with too much crap on it. They wrapped it in bacon or put a marinade on it.
I have found the perfect way to grill it with very little STUFF on it and its the best I can find.
1st Never Freeze Backstrap. Eat it or send it to me. :D
2nd Never salt meat before you cook it. It will dry it out.
3rd Good meat dont need it and bad meat dont deserve it. (Marinades), (A1)
Take 1LB of butter and melt in a small sauce pan. Then put in a teaspoon of lemon juice. Then 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. Fresh is even better but not needed.

Here is the key. Cook the butter and stuff till it boils and browns a touch. The flavors must meld together.

I cut my straps in half cause 1 end is always thicker.
Set them on a med hot grill and baste. Flip them and baste again then close the lid.
Check them in a couple minutes and baste before and after the flip.
Cook them till they are still red in the middle but will burn your finger when you touch the red after you cut it open.
Let sit for a couple minutes and slice. Only salt and pepper to taste after you have sliced and placed on a plate.

John
That ain't grilled...its fried...to me anyways.

I just had backstrap tonight. Coated in olive oil and cracked pepper. Put it on the grill (outside) with some hot coals going. I use wood not charcoal. I agree...cook until outside is done but red or at least pink inside. Cooking through until its all gray ruins game IMO...unless you are deep frying it.

Had fresh cucumber from the garden with it and some 3 bean salad and garlic bread. Great dinner!!

I freeze most of my game. I don't buy any meat really, just eat game, so I need to freeze it. I double wrap it in cellophane and squeeze the air out to eliminate freezer burn. Tastes good to me and I enjoy my game all year long.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

What part of that says FRIED to you? :dontknow:

What's up with that
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I have to agree with Treerooster on the freezing. I don't buy beef. I put several deer a year in the freezer, and if we eat red meat, that is what we eat. I've eaten a lot of venison both fresh and frozen, and it is always good.

IMO, the quality of venison depends on the care that is taken with the meat in the field, and the way it is aged, prior to consumption. I hang my venison in a cold room kept at 37 degrees for 10 days with the skin on to prevent drying (inner loins come out immediately). In pretty much all cases, the backstrap, that has been aged and frozen, is far superior in both taste and tenderness to the inner loin that is fresh.

I also agree that cooking venison beyond medium (med. rare is much better) ruins venison and gives it an undeserved reputation for being tough and unflavorful. The only exception to the above statement is for ground venison that is mixed with small amounts of hamburger or beef fat, which needs to be cooked more thoroughly.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I agree, I freeze lots of venison each year. I hate to buy beef at the store.
I just dont freeze back strap.
I like to hang for 10days also. I also like to save some wild hog to grind with venison to make our sausage. I'm not big on links but love some good ground pan sausage.

John

What's up with that
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

BrentM wrote:Anything beyond medium rare and you start to ruin venison or duck in my opinion. I've always figured that's why a lot of folks say they don't like wild game: they never had any that wasn't burnt
amen!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

That sounds yummy!!!

I may be wrong on this, but for most big game cooking, about the only 2 animals that have to be cooked well enough to kill parasites are bear and pigs.

Any deer, elk, moose is best cooked medium rare to medium at best. There just isn't enough fat content in the meat to keep it from drying out.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

As stated I like mine rare. My niece cuts the more done outer part off and eats the rarer part. One fine you lady right there.

John

What's up with that

Return to “Camp Dinner”