Food from the field

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Food from the field

Post by howl »

Working on finishing up last season's sq. before it get freezer burnt. I prefer to cook it down in gravy after frying but the kids don't eat shrooms. I wasn't going to make bechamel sauce and gravy both.

Oven roasted okra beats asparagus in my opinion. Which is good because planted a bunch!
0703201953.jpg
0703201158.jpg
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Food from the field

Post by GLS »

looking good!
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

How do you oven roast the okra ?
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Okra: Cut tip and stem section off. Smaller the pod, the better. On a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, scatter pods on sheet and sprinkle olive oil them. Put pan into preheated oven, 400-450 F. Monitor until it begins to darken. Time is pod size dependent. I like a few darker than green. Broccoli and cauliflower are different tasting vegetables when roasted. The whole head of cauliflower is vertically sliced in half inch or more cuts. Slices look like brain sections. I get two to three slices from the center before it crumbles into florets. The stem holds the center florets together. Cook the same way as the okra. I salt them before cooking. Cauliflower should be darkened brown. You can flip while cooking, but I don't. Broccoli is broken into florets. Drizzle with olive oil, salt. Cook the same way. If the pan side appears burned, so much the better. I use either parchment paper or foil to ease clean up. Gil

Return to “Camp Dinner”