Wild Turkey Breakfast Sausage

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Wild Turkey Breakfast Sausage

Post by HunterGKS »

I wanted to try something different with some of this years turkey so I checked my seasoning mixes & found a packet of Backwoods Fresh Breakfast Sausage Seasoning. I thought: “What the heck. I’ll take it to The Roost this fall. The guys at The Roost will eat anything.” ROTFLMOHAO!!!! I spread the process over 2 days as I like to have the meat partial frozen, especially for grinding, as it makes the grind easier. I finished up this afternoon (Sunday) & cooked up a couple of sausages plus a patty made from what was left inside the grinder/stuffer tube. It was really good with just a little mild spiciness. The only issue is that the bulk is very sticky & hard to work with. Maybe after freezing/thawing, it will be more pliable

In order to avoid a lot of questions, I’ll explain the 3 additional ingredients.

1. Encapsulated Citric Acid: Citrus acid with a hydrogenated cotton seed oil coating. The coating keeps the citric acid from releasing during mixing & stuffing. It prolongs shelf life by lowering the PH of the sausage. There is a slight tangy flavor that is covered up by using the Trehalose.

2. Trehalose: Helps to take the “wild” taste out of meat as well as eliminating “freezer flavor” & is a natural sweetener & antioxidant.

3. Lem Cure: Can be used in making sausage, jerky, bacon or ham. It helps to reduce the risk of botulism in meat, slightly aids the preservation of meat, & enhances the flavor of the finished product

INGREDIENTS

• Turkey – 80%
• Pork – 20%
• Seasonings
• Water

DIRECTIONS

1. Trim all fat & white skin from the pork & turkey & cut into grinder-sized pieces.
2. Grind the pork & turkey once with the medium grinder plate once.
3. Mix the seasonings in the appropriate amount of water as noted on the packet.
4. Mix the meats & seasonings thoroughly.
5. Stuff the edible collagen casings and/or the bulk tubes.
6. Cook & ENJOY!!!!

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Wild Turkey Breakfast Sausage

Post by pullit »

looks good, how many turkey's did you use to make that much sausage?
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

pullit wrote:looks good, how many turkey's did you use to make that much sausage?
More than I planned, the breast from a jake & a gobbler. I wish they packaged the seasoning in 5 lbs. packets. I could have split the seasonings but the results never seem to be as good as doing it all at once.

I'm pressure cooking the legs & thighs now for some pulled turkey.
George

WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

bet that bulk would work well in a tomato sauce (spaghetti, marinara, etc) and served with Spaghetti squash!!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

WoodMoose wrote:bet that bulk would work well in a tomato sauce (spaghetti, marinara, etc) and served with Spaghetti squash!!
Probably would. I'm going to mix it in with a bunch of eggs, chopped bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, & cheese. The fall crew at The Roost will have a good breakfast.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I just can't do that George to a turkey breast. Too valuable. It's gotta be fried. It does look good though. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

HunterGKS wrote:
WoodMoose wrote:bet that bulk would work well in a tomato sauce (spaghetti, marinara, etc) and served with Spaghetti squash!!
Probably would. I'm going to mix it in with a bunch of eggs, chopped bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, & cheese. The fall crew at The Roost will have a good breakfast.

oh man,,that's a great sounding breakfast - I just need those GPS coordinates for where you are serving!!!
The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Thanks for sharing. The quickest way to make eggs better, is to snuggle them up with some sausage. :D
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I like steak and eggs for breakfast this time of year, nothing beats White Tail Fawn Backstraps and a couple of fresh fried wild turkey eggs.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Camp Dinner”