Sauteed Dove

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
WoodMoose

Sauteed Dove

Post by WoodMoose »

Warning: no bacon, sour cream, nor Italian salad dressing were used in the making of this dove meal!!

I know - blasphemy,,,,,,,

anyhow,,,,,,,,as I was cleaning my dove from the other day,,,,I released the legs came off whole very easily,,,,,don't know why I never noticed this before,,,,,,so I took the legs, the hearts, the gizzards, and the breasts,,,,,,,,cleaned 'em up and got them ready.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sautéed Dove Pieces

5 dove (or as many as you want)
extra virgin olive oil
butter
2 jalapenos
Cracker Boy seasoning mix
ground black pepper

I filleted the meat off the breast bone,,,patted them semi-dry,,,,inspected for random feathers and such,,,,,,,see one on the leg there,,,,need to get it off,,,,

get a skillet hot with EVOO, a tablespoon of butter,,,,,when butter melts add the jalapenos and sauté them to infuse the flavor in the EVOO/butter,,,,,

then seasoned the pieces to preference with the Cracker Boy and black pepper,,,,,,

toss them in the pan and brown on each side then turn down some and cook till done,,,,,the filleted breasts still took about 4 - 5 minutes longer than the other pieces,,,,,

meanwhile,,,,I had some Boudin on the grill (I prefer it grilled versus steamed) and had some duck I seasoned and grilled for the next days "hunt lunch),,,,,,,

the Boudin turned out nice,,,,,,,,not sure if I go to Lousiana each fall/winter for the ducks or for the Boudin!!

anyhow,,,,served it up with some kimchi and fresh garden cucumbers,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,dove legs are WAY better than the breast meat,,,,,its only a small bite or three on each leg,,,,perfect appetizer type dish,,,,,,,,not a lot of work to keep them,,,,,,and I WILL keep them for now on,,,,,,
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Sauteed Dove

Post by soiltester »

How that's some good & tasty eats!!! :thumbup:

I sure miss my Louisiana hunts with the guys, and the craklins', boudin, and rau!!!
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Congratulations on not thinking one has to cook game with bacon or soaked in Italian dressing to "improve" or mask the wild flavor. If I want bacon taste, I cook and eat bacon. ;) To quote author Steve Bodio on cooking and eating game: "I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds "taste like liver"- good LIVER doesn't taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter." Only difference in how you cooked those dove and how I prefer snipe, woodcock, dove and duck is I don't cook it "done". Rare to medium rare is the most flavorful for me. (While I love gizzards and livers, I toss them to my two Brittanys while cleaning the birds. ) Bodio goes on to quote his friend and author Guy de La Valdene:
"My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): "As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol." Bon Appetit! ;) Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I pluck my doves and leave the legs on, then roll in egg and flour and fry them. Cook some mashed potatoes, gravy, and purple hull peas for sides. Been eating them that way all my life, and its one of my favorite meals. But that does look like a great way to serve them.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Steve, did you get a chance to air out the sxs and spreader loads on dove this past weekend? Gil
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

GLS wrote:Congratulations on not thinking one has to cook game with bacon or soaked in Italian dressing to "improve" or mask the wild flavor. If I want bacon taste, I cook and eat bacon. ;) To quote author Steve Bodio on cooking and eating game: "I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds "taste like liver"- good LIVER doesn't taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter." Only difference in how you cooked those dove and how I prefer snipe, woodcock, dove and duck is I don't cook it "done". Rare to medium rare is the most flavorful for me. (While I love gizzards and livers, I toss them to my two Brittanys while cleaning the birds. ) Bodio goes on to quote his friend and author Guy de La Valdene:
"My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): "As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol." Bon Appetit! ;) Gil

I agree both on the limited "adds" and the preference for rare/med rare,,,,,,in this case my beautiful ladies were dining as well and they don't take to any meat with red,,,,and I was too lazy this time to cook them separate,,,

I love that de la Valdene quote!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Here's a plate load of sauteed dove breast medallions and fresh-picked wild chanterelle mushrooms from two seasons ago. I cooked them separately and smoothered the doves. This is good:

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

GLS wrote:Steve, did you get a chance to air out the sxs and spreader loads on dove this past weekend? Gil
Gil, our season comes in Saturday. But I may take the 625 opening day. I shot it some yesterday and there is just no denying that I shoot better with it. Gonna try to give them both a good test tomorrow. Glad you had some success!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

GLS wrote:Here's a plate load of sauteed dove breast medallions and fresh-picked wild chanterelle mushrooms from two seasons ago. I cooked them separately and smoothered the doves. This is good:

that looks real good!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:I pluck my doves and leave the legs on, then roll in egg and flour and fry them. Cook some mashed potatoes, gravy, and purple hull peas for sides. Been eating them that way all my life, and its one of my favorite meals. But that does look like a great way to serve them.

your post made me pluck one,,,,never tried that before and I may be a convert,,,,plucked very fast and easy,,,,,,,

cooked it on the grill,,,,not quite hot enough as it didn't get the nice brown that I wanted,,,,but tasted great at medium rare,,,,,,since I only plucked one I cooked it with some duck breasts I had left,,,,,,,

thanks for bringing that up!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

When I pluck dove, which is about half the time, I cook them on my version of a "beer can" cooker made from a coat hanger and without the beer. I don't have photos of dove (or snipe) cooking, but here are some woodcock I cooked for my daughter this June. While these don't need additonal browning, for dove, I remove from the wire and sear on the cast iron pancake skillet for a few seconds. My grill's internal temp exceeds 500 F with the lid down and all it takes is a few seconds per breast side to sear the skin; it looks better but as you noted, the taste is fine without the skin browning.
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

I like that idea GLS - thanks

Return to “Camp Dinner”