Perch on Ice

A general fishing discussion here.
hobbes

Re: Perch on Ice

Post by hobbes »

I've only eaten one walleye and it was Isaac's 30" walleye after I skinned it to mount. I thought it tasted great, especially for such a big fish. I posted it on here in the past, probably 5 years ago.

I didnt have perch to catch when I was really into fishing, but we really liked crappie. Bass was goid also, but I released most of them. Bluegill were good if we caught them big enough. I like smaller channel cats also. Some of the bigger cats I tried were too strong and I didnt care for them. I like most farm raised catfish, but have bought some that werent good before. I dont care for tilapia.

Some of the best fish I've had has been fresh snapper we caught in the gulf.

As far as trout go, I like smaller trout. I used to really like the bows and browns that we'd fillet when fishing Arkansas. The small brookies that I find here in mountain lakes are really good also, but Ive not filleted them because of their size. I dont like the bigger bows 20" up. They taste more like salmon and I dont care for salmon.
Attachments
20170604_223423.jpg
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

So he skinned the brook trout? I’ve never ever skinned a Brookie. Always ate them with the skin on. Like you, Tom, I’ve cleaned and eaten a bunch of them.
Rolled in seasoned flour and pan fried in butter.
Geez.. I’m killin myself here!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: October 18th, 2017, 10:40 am So he skinned the brook trout? I’ve never ever skinned a Brookie. Always ate them with the skin on. Like you, Tom, I’ve cleaned and eaten a bunch of them.
Rolled in seasoned flour and pan fried in butter.
Geez.. I’m killin myself here!!
Bud slickest thing I've seen. Literally I would clean 2000+ a year like normal gut, scumline out, you want head on or off.. He guts than cuts throat thingy between gills goes with the head over the back and the skin peels off :scratch: than he fillets and no bones. Damndest thing I've ever seen. And he's fast.

Honestly it got me to thinking, let's face it trout is normally strong. This tamed it a good bit. How much of the strong flavor comes from the skin. :? Best trout I've ever had.

Do you have Facebook or I'll find away to share his video
Saorobale

Post by Saorobale »

I've found some superb augers this year. You can read the reviews of some of them here.
HennedUp

Post by HennedUp »

I have to agree that perch through the ice are mighty fine eating, along with those native brookies, crispy tails and all. Nice perch and a beaut of a walleye too.
Bob

Return to “Fishing”