Perch on Ice

A general fishing discussion here.
hobbes

Perch on Ice

Post by hobbes »

I've not been on the ice since leaving Colorado, but I got out with a few guys today looking for perch. I've never caught them before, but one of the fellas in our group has been catching a lot of them recently. We didn't get into the numbers he's been seeing, but everyone ended up with 6 or 7 by the time two of us quit. The other two guys may have ended with a bang though after we left. It's my understanding that they are fantastic table fare. I've filleted them and will find out tomorrow night.

Six perch on ice.

I ended up with seven perch, all between 10 and 11 inches, and one small bow that I'd have released if not for how I hooked him. One of the guys had a good 20" bow and a good Ling (I'd never seen a Ling other than photos).

RapscallionVermilion

Re: Perch on Ice

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Oh yeah :thumbup: Those look nice and fat. One of the best eating freshwater fish in my book. Same family as a walleye.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Some of the best eating fish out here.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Yup, Delicious eating fish, the wife dips them in beat up raw egg and then rolls them in seasoned instant potato flake for a coating, fry until golden brown.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Perch are by far my favorite fish to eat. They have a flavor unto themselves. Enjoy your catch, Hobbes!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Reminds me of my fishin' days on Sag. Bay when dad had to baby sit me at 4 yrs old, sittin' on an old metal pail freezin' with my gortex clothes & swampers, that I didn't have back when :roll:

Maybe that's why I don't like to fish, and enjoy it more here in SC :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Enjoy the eats :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I did!!!!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Looks like, good stuff right there. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I'm posessed now with planning to get out and catch more. :)
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

hobbes wrote:I'm posessed now with planning to get out and catch more. :)
I bet you'll be back at it before to long. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

hobbes wrote:I'm posessed now with planning to get out and catch more. :)
They will do that to you. Good eating for sure. :thumbup:
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Those are some hog perch, and that skillet of 'em frying looks delicious! My mouth is watering just thinking about ice-caught fried fish....nothing better!!!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

nicely done and fried up nice!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Came across this while doing a search for something else. ANYHOW, are those yellow perch fillets in that pan?!
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Yes, they were yellow perch. Those in the picture are the only perch I've caught. That particular lake doesnt always have safe ice conditions, but it has good numbers of fat perch. There is always lots of controversy about the 50 perch limit.

I fished it once last year, hand augering holes all over the place and could not find them. I just dont put enough consistent effort into fish like I would have 20 to 25 years ago. Ive decided that if Im to ever become a serious ice fisherman I'll have to buy a power auger.
Attachments
20160118_191439.jpg
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That is sick! A perch that long where I fish would be half the girth. And most I catch are smaller. I can't imagine being able to get fillets regularly.

I fish them in summer and fall when they're on the weed lines. The rest of the year I don't find them where they're supposed to be. We don't have a limit in GA. I'd stock the freezer if we didn't eat all I catch right after I catch it.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

F0A971F4-1355-44F0-A485-D332646D4FB6.jpeg
15BBFEB0-421E-45E0-9623-BA326C381C95.jpeg
I like me some perch!!
Attachments
B8F2D768-556C-4AF2-A655-CC720DC45E78.jpeg
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Id love to get into them like that Hognutz. They catch them like that regularly at this lake on ice, but you have to be consistent about fishing it. I'm sure they do good from boats also.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Good grief. There's multiple GA state records in there. Good for y'all!
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

howl wrote: October 16th, 2017, 9:40 pm Good grief. There's multiple GA state records in there. Good for y'all!
I never realized that Georgia had yellow perch. I was under the impression that they were more of a northern states species since we didnt have them in Southern IL or Western KY. I thought the same about walleye too and have since learned different.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I've heard of as far South as FL. The must get smaller as you go South. Biggest one I ever caught was the first one I ever saw. SC record is about 3#. Pretty sure that one was bigger. I'd only ever seen one in pictures and had no thought of a record book. I looked at it a bit and tossed it back in the lake. That was an oxbow of the Wateree River down around Sumter, SC.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Best eating fish for me, only thing close is gills and catfish. People talk walleye up but they pale in comparison Imo..

When I was in hs, used to vacation rent a house on a lake. I'd take paddle boat out and pound 12+ inchers.

Alot of our really good perch lakes have gone to crap..Hard to find good ones anymore. Alot of 6".

In the great lakes region Friday means fish fry at local watering hole. Alot of bars are now advertising Zander as walleye and perch, it's a Pike/perch cross. Good but not the same
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I’ll eat perch any day over walleye. It is my favorite, by far. Perch has a distinct sweet taste whereas walleye is like zucchini. It has little taste ( which is why non fish eaters like it) and tastes like whatever you make it taste like. I’ve eaten a ton of both and would never turn down either one. But at the end of the day, given a choice. I’ll take yellow perch every time!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: October 17th, 2017, 8:10 pm I’ll eat perch any day over walleye. It is my favorite, by far. Perch has a distinct sweet taste whereas walleye is like zucchini. It has little taste ( which is why non fish eaters like it) and tastes like whatever you make it taste like. I’ve eaten a ton of both and would never turn down either one. But at the end of the day, given a choice. I’ll take yellow perch every time!
Me too bud

It's like brookies, some think their too fishy. Then why you eating fish. I will say I've lived on a blue ribbon brookie stream and my folks operated a pay to fish pond when I was growing up. I have cleaned literally thousands of trout.

When Mike Miller was up and tagged out he showed me a way to clean them I had never seen, he skinned them by pulling the head backwards and skinning them. Honestly slickest thing I have seen and best fish I've had.

I'll try to find video of it

Return to “Fishing”