had a lot of fun this morning

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

had a lot of fun this morning

Post by hawglips »

I didn't hear anything gobble on the roost, so I eased along towards the creek hoping to hear something down there. As I got there, I heard a bird gobble back away from the creek, so I made my way to the vicinity.

When I got fairly close, I called and got no response. So, I set up for a spell to call and see what happened. After about 30 minutes, I got up and moved in the direction I thought he had gobbled from, and stopped to call on my box. He hammered back at me, and the adrenalin surged! And so I moved on closer and set up.

He wouldn't answer my first couple series of calls, but then he gobbled at a crow, from the same spot. Having him pinpointed, I eased up a bit closer and sat down.

He didn't answer any of my subsequent calling, but he started gobbling at most every crow that sounded off. And he hadn't moved. After a bit more working on him, he started going back and forth in about a 50 yard arc, gobbling at crows, but not at me. I figured he didn't have any hens due to the way he was moving, and I could tell he was a cautious, timid bird.

Well, I wanted to keep the pressure on him, and keep trying to build his excitement, so, I waited till he gobbled once more, and I eased up about ten yards closer and sat down again. I was now pretty dadgum close -- probaby 60 yards from him. After I started calling from there, he gobbled more frequently and seemed to be moving faster back and forth on his arc. The closer I got, the hotter he seemed to be getting. But he still wouldn't come any closer.

There was this old pushed up dirt in between us, and when he got back directly behind it, I took a big gamble. I crawled up another ten yards or so and sat down tree-less. I waited till he gobbled again, and I called from that new, yet closer spot. That really seemed to excite him, and about 30 seconds later he gobbler again, this time slightly closer.

So, I started scratching. I did two, then three series of scratching and waited.

About 2 minutes later, I saw his white head bobbing towards me, heading directly for the pushed up pile between us. I got my gun pointed at the pile and waited.

About about two minutes went by, and he gobbled from back behind the pile, about 40 yds away. I kept quiet, knowing I had him anxious, and having already got him to break towards me.

Another minute or so, and he gobbled again, then again. While I waited with my gun aimed at the pile.

Then there he was. He eased up the hump to where I could see the upper half of his body, he extended his neck looking for me, and I ended it.

He was an old bird, with 1-1/4" spurs. And that was some kind of fun!

jrseale82

Re: had a lot of fun this morning

Post by jrseale82 »

Thats a nice bird. Glad you were successful. My slump continues. I heard 8-9 on the roost but couldnt get a good postion (or decide which one to go to) so I set up between 3 of them at a place I normally hear them gobbling later in the morning. I sat there almost 2 hours calling every now and then with a bird gobbling here and there. Then one gobbled fairly close but I waited a while and never saw or heard him again. Finally I walk towards the back of the property and get one to gobble about 300 yards away. I hurry to set up thinking he might come and as I am sitting down he comes over the hill in front of me and runs off. I cant catch a break. Dont mean to steal you show or hijack your thread. Congrads on a great and succesful hunt.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

Nice gobbler Hal. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Yea, now thats what I'm talking about.. Hunts like that, keep it all exciting and fun.
Nice gobbler too.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Nice job, way to put the move on him.
"INFIDEL"
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation