Bore cleaner

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
KPcalls

Bore cleaner

Post by KPcalls »

Which bore cleaner would you recommend for a shotgun....?
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Bore cleaner

Post by redarrow »

Can't beat good ol Hoppes #9.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
d.winsor

Post by d.winsor »

I would use Hope's #9 Elite gun Cleaner, There is no odor what so ever, as there is with regular Hope's #9. Also they say it cleans down to the pores of the metal. It says it removes fouling down to the molecular level That other cleaners cannot touch. Also it says it removes carbon, lead and most copper fouling. It says with continued use it cuts cleaning time by as much as 80%. I called Hope's and asked them if it would damage Camo finishes, They told me no it would not.

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber 2-in-1 Bore Cleaner Container says it removes all types of fouling, carbon, powder, copper, lead and plastic wad residue. Also says it leaves a rust preventive coating all in one step.

I use both normally I use hope's #9 Elite, but when I do a lot of shooting with my shot gun or when I shoot a lot of sabots out of my muzzleloader I will use Birchwood Casey.

As with any bore cleaner they don't work very well unless you put it in your barrel and then let it set 10 to 15 minutes for the chemical to work, then wire brush and dry patch it and put your lubricant in the bore. Be Cautious with Birchwood Casey, it will damage surfaces and camo finishes. When I use it I will take my barrel off and get it totally away from camo sections of my gun. I will not use it on any camoed barrel. I had some Birchwood Casey on my hands and picked up my camo barrel and it started eating off the camo. On my camo barrel I use only Hope's #9 Elite.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

THIS ! Removes Lead, Copper, Power Fouling In Rifles, Pistols, Muzzleloaders, & Shotguns. Removes any & all plastic shotgun wad fouling. This is the best I've ever used & I shoot alot ! :thumbup:
allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

KPcalls wrote:Which bore cleaner would you recommend for a shotgun....?
I have tried, evaluated and published articles on sevral but I just can't find anything that does the job better than Hoppe's #9. It's also very reasonably priced and pretty much available everywhere.

I don't know if you've read the article on "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel", I call it deep cleaning but if not, you might want to give it a look. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=282

One of the most important parts is to give the Hoppe's time for the chemical action to remove the gunk that accumulates in older guns and even comes in new guns.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Thanks guys...I had some aerosol type I had used until I ran out, but honestly don't remember what kind it was.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I use whatever I have Hoppes, Birchwood Casey, Rem Bore bright, Break free CLP..

To be honest my favorite which is hard to find is Outers Nitro Solvent.. It does not have that greasy feel to it like the others listed above..

Best Smelling is Butchs bore shine :mrgreen:
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

vaturkey wrote:Image

THIS ! Removes Lead, Copper, Power Fouling In Rifles, Pistols, Muzzleloaders, & Shotguns. Removes any & all plastic shotgun wad fouling. This is the best I've ever used & I shoot alot ! :thumbup:
x2 All I've used for years. Gets the plastic fouling right out.
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

Good old KROIL will work just fine, I use it in all my benchrest rifles both short and long range BUT do not get it into the trigger assembly, it will gum it up like chewing gum but it work awesome in the bore..

Return to “Gun Talk”