New shotgun scope

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
KPcalls

New shotgun scope

Post by KPcalls »

I have a friend that I let borrow my ole Simmons pro diamond turkey scope to try last year. He hunted with it this year and decided he likes having a scope on his 870. He wants to buy a new scope and really can't decide what to get. He likes the camoed Nikon I have with a typical recticle. I looked around last night and noticed that Nikon has discontinued their turkey scope. While looking I did see that the newer Simmons shotgun scopes are now 32mm. So many different choices...Tru-glow, Weaver, Bushnell....etc, any suggestions guys...?
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: New shotgun scope

Post by vaturkey »

Leupold 2x7 Shotgun Scope ! :thumbup:
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I checked it out. It has the BDC recticle now like the Nikon and not near as much eye releif. Look's like all are geared towards the BDC reticles now which really wouldn't matter to me if I were buying a new one.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Just found a Leupold with the turkey reticle at midway for 219.00...didn't see any on luepold website.
Doedaddy

Post by Doedaddy »

I love the Leupold turkey plex scope. But, I bought 2 Tasco Bantam shotgun scopes for my 20 ga turkey guns and I'm very impressed so far for $40. I may throw them in the pond after a season. They hold up to the recoil so far.
Pick me out a winner Bobby!!!
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

E- Bay has lots of them ! :thumbup:
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Never thought of that vaturkey.....I may have to buy me a new scope too....new shotgun on the way and it's BLACK and my Nikon is realtree APG green....Hmmmm...
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

No scopes for shotguns. Sights, not scopes. :-)

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Johndoe wrote:No scopes for shotguns. Sights, not scopes. :-)
What.... :D John I've always wanted to try a Mueller....but, I like the 3-4 power of a scope.
d.winsor

Post by d.winsor »

I have been using scopes on my turkey guns since 1992, Last year I bought the Fast Fire 3 sight, since I bought a new gun, Works just like a scope, no magnification, battery lasts just about forever, has a low battery indicator so you won't get caught at the wrong time out of juice, also has a lifetime warranty from Burris, who by the way has excellent customer service. You don't have to worry about scope eye or cheek slap with it, you can keep both eyes open and get on your target fast or you can use one eye if that is what you are use to. If you are looking for a new scope it might benefit you to research the Fast Fire 3. You can also put a modified choke in your turkey gun and use 2 3/4" shells to hunt rabbits, squirrel, dove, etc., with the Fast Fire 3.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Doedaddy wrote:I love the Leupold turkey plex scope. But, I bought 2 Tasco Bantam shotgun scopes for my 20 ga turkey guns and I'm very impressed so far for $40. I may throw them in the pond after a season. They hold up to the recoil so far.
My Simmons has taken alot of abuse over the years and is still kicking. I don't remember what I paid for it but I'm guessing under a 100.00
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

d.winsor wrote:I have been using scopes on my turkey guns since 1992, Last year I bought the Fast Fire 3 sight, since I bought a new gun, Works just like a scope, no magnification, battery lasts just about forever, has a low battery indicator so you won't get caught at the wrong time out of juice, also has a lifetime warranty from Burris, who by the way has excellent customer service. You don't have to worry about scope eye or cheek slap with it, you can keep both eyes open and get on your target fast or you can use one eye if that is what you are use to. If you are looking for a new scope it might benefit you to research the Fast Fire 3. You can also put a modified choke in your turkey gun and use 2 3/4" shells to hunt rabbits, squirrel, dove, etc., with the Fast Fire 3.

I'm not going to knock that type of sight because I've never tried one, but I seriously doubt I would be happy with one because there is no magnifacation. I know of several I killed because I did have the magnifcation.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I had a scope for a little while Kenny. Cost me 1 bird and almost another so I ditched it for a tube style red dot. Hated the tube style. Then when reflex came in I have them on all my turkey rigs.
Also walked home covered in blood from a scope on a shotgun. No fun.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
jcrob1

Post by jcrob1 »

KP I believe Natchez SS had some refurbished Nikon Turkey Pro's in stock last time I looked for a good price. That's what I have on my 12 and I love it.
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

I've got the Nikon turkey scope on my gun and love it. It tracks perfectly when making adjustments and with 5" of eye relief, you shouldn't get bit by it either. You'd have to be holding your gun pretty loose to get smacked.

The only thing I have issue with was the sun shade. I could never get it to screw on smoothly......those threads are very fine.
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

Man I love those older Simmons ProDiamond scopes! I have two of the 2x and I'm actually looking for a 4x.

They were cheap but man they take a licking! I've had one on a Beretta 391 for over 10 years and it's never skipped a beat!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have a 500 with the Bushnell Circle X, its been good in all regards
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I have a 500 bantam w/leupold turkey plex. Shoots real nice TSS patterns. I can shoot it both eyes open.
allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

PALongspur wrote:Man I love those older Simmons ProDiamond scopes! I have two of the 2x and I'm actually looking for a 4x.

They were cheap but man they take a licking! I've had one on a Beretta 391 for over 10 years and it's never skipped a beat!
I have a couple of those and have tried to tear them up but can't. They have extended eye relief and diamond reticle really works as a range finder as well. Both of mine are the 4X and until quite recently, Doris had one on her competition gun. She's set a world record and won 3 world championsips with that combination. They are very hard to beat.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Thanks for all the ideas and comments guys...
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

My first turkey gun had an old Burris 2.75 post scope.. I shoulda never parted with it.. That post was so slick, slide it right under his noggin and let him eat..

But I will say 2.75 is too much power.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I bet that would work nicely....My Nikon is a heavy duplex which I do like.

Return to “Gun Talk”