scope or red dot?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Frank G

Re: scope or red dot?

Post by Frank G »

It’s rare but on occasion I wish you could “dial” it up a bit. Is that what I think it is ???? Overall I hunt hardwoods, cedars and pines, some quite thick. When I started purchasing them they were in the mid 6s now mid to low 4s. Both eyes open "dot it" "send it". No finer red dot on the market. :thumbright:
Frank G In Tennessee
He may be the lead gobbler…… my first lead his last lead!
aristico

Post by aristico »

Thanks for the help guys...im going to let him look thru both a scope and red dot and let him pick...
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Frank G wrote:It’s rare but on occasion I wish you could “dial” it up a bit. Is that what I think it is ???? Overall I hunt hardwoods, cedars and pines, some quite thick. When I started purchasing them they were in the mid 6s now mid to low 4s. Both eyes open "dot it" "send it". No finer red dot on the market. :thumbright:
I have never had to hunt with mine on max. The only knock on a red dot is a very bright day, looking into the sun. Other than that, they rock. For early mornings or late evenings, there is nothing better. Mid day, you just crank up the intensity.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Frank G

Post by Frank G »

GLS wrote:Where the dot lies, the shot flies. Most of the time. Sometimes the dot must not be on the head when the trigger is pulled. ;)
Like that line GLS, mind if I use it? :D
Frank G In Tennessee
He may be the lead gobbler…… my first lead his last lead!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

have at it. Gil :mrgreen:
Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

Scope. I own a turkey pro and a FF3 and I trust the scope because I've used one for over 10 years and its never failed me and I hunt with it everyday for a month and a half each season. I really like the FF3 but I trust my scope
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I'm going with a FFIII this time. I tend to get "scope eye" on hard kickers. :oops:
d.winsor

Post by d.winsor »

One other thing you can do with a red dot, is to slip in a modified choke in your turkey barrel and use 2 3/4 inch shells to hunt pheasant, squirrel, dove, quail, or rabbits. Using both eyes open acquiring a target is fast and accurate. The only scope I know of that can come close to this is a nikon monarch 1 x 4x on 1x, but I prefer the red dot for that kind of work.

Return to “Gun Talk”