A5 with Long Beard

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
SumToy

A5 with Long Beard

Post by SumToy »

New A5 with a 670 and 3 inch Long Beard at 40 yards. I think HV 13 needs to be nervous.
Attachments
Win LB 12 A5 (310x550).jpg
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A5 with Long Beard

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:shock:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Thats incredible William.. I think everyone when they first heard about this shell and "shot lok" technology as a gimmick.. But they sure got something figured out..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

what shocks me is that is a 670 and doing 201 at 40? holy crap thats with lead???????

:o :o :o :o
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

hoobilly wrote:what shocks me is that is a 670 and doing 201 at 40? holy crap thats with lead???????

big back bore gun is one reason. Now that said the Remington only ran 665.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

SumToy wrote:
hoobilly wrote:what shocks me is that is a 670 and doing 201 at 40? holy crap thats with lead???????

big back bore gun is one reason. Now that said the Remington only ran 665.
understood

but man 201 is unreal with lead :shock:

I did run high 180's with the WInchester HV #6's in a Beretta and a 665 tube.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
savduck

Post by savduck »

It's still lead
HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 »

Lead has been killing them for years. The only time HTL is needed is if you are shooting over 40. Lead has enough penetration to take a turkey @ 40 with 6's. For me I can consistently kill Turkeys with #8 dove loads if I wanted.I don't think I have shot one any further than 25 yards in 3 years. Our terrain don't allow it. Most of the time when I set up on one the longest shot I have is 30 yards because of how thick the woods are.
Last edited by HookedSpur83 on December 23rd, 2013, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

That's probably the best 40 yd lead pattern I've seen. With the shot encased in resin, it'll be interesting to see what it will do in more open chokes also.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

hawglips wrote:That's probably the best 40 yd lead pattern I've seen. With the shot encased in resin, it'll be interesting to see what it will do in more open chokes also.
I agree. Amazing pattern.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

HookedSpur83 wrote:Lead has been killing them for years. The only time HTL is needed is if you are shooting over 40. Lead has enough penetration to take a turkey @ 40 with 6's.
Not to totally derail Williams thread and completely I agree lead will kill every bird at 40 and in if the pattern is sufficient and the shooter does his job.. But I think one of the biggest advantages of HTL being a 40 and in shooter is not the penetration but the ease of getting a sufficient pattern at 40 yards..

I personally feel the lead loads we have had available as of late are just not that great.. Alot of time, effort and money through testing various loads through various chokes and still not guarantee adequate pattern density for personal standards.. HTL offerings made it very easy to attain 140-150 type numbers and in alot of cases a one stop shop and less expensive in the long run..

This load however seems to narrow or eliminate that gap...
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I have broken 200 with a single shot New England pardner with a 3-1/2" turkey barrel shooting Winchester XX 6's. I haven't shot it in years. When you shoot it it will be several seconds before you remember where you are at and what your name is. Most violent recoil I have experienced!!!

That's an impressive lead pattern!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

drenalinld wrote:I have broken 200 with a single shot New England pardner with a 3-1/2" turkey barrel shooting Winchester XX 6's. I haven't shot it in years. When you shoot it it will be several seconds before you remember where you are at and what your name is. Most violent recoil I have experienced!!!

Ya damn Wuss.. Sal has a H&R or NE 3.5 inch single in original factory green leaf which was her primary turkey gun up until last year..
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

A5 with Long Beard

Post by drenalinld »

Hahaha. I would love to watch you shoot it w/xx 2.25 oz 3.5!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

drenalinld wrote:Hahaha. I would love to watch you shoot it w/xx 2.25 oz 3.5!
I have put 3.5 Win XR through it and HV.. It sucks :lol:

I will tell you we have a good supply of the old white hevi that it shoots well and that stuff has little recoil, she has killed a pile of birds with that gun and for alot of years it was the gun I handed people I would take.. It is a joy to tote however, makes an excellent hills gun..

You can tell when she has killed a bird with it as her cheek bruises :lol: Dad shot a bird in a weird position a few years back, he shouldered it in his bicep.. With aging muscles his bicep was yellow for a couple a weeks, it looked great with his scope ring on his eye from the day before with his 500 grand slam. :lol:

I need to take some pics.. Its pretty cool with the original camo and factory rifle sights do not see many like it.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

A5 with Long Beard

Post by drenalinld »

I wish I had one camo with sights! I have the 10 ga version but it is heavy heavy! Mine is wood. Had camo tape on it for years. Pulled it off.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
drenalinld wrote:I have broken 200 with a single shot New England pardner with a 3-1/2" turkey barrel shooting Winchester XX 6's. I haven't shot it in years. When you shoot it it will be several seconds before you remember where you are at and what your name is. Most violent recoil I have experienced!!!

Ya damn Wuss.. Sal has a H&R or NE 3.5 inch single in original factory green leaf which was her primary turkey gun up until last year..
HA!!!! Them dang NE singles have got to be the hardest kickin guns I know of,... Bar none!!!
I patterened my pops NE 10 many years ago from a sitting position,....Geeeeez!!!!
Not only did it knock my hat off, but it has been the only time my hat was laying on the ground in front of me, not behind,...LOL! Thank God that gun is long gone!

Ain't nothin wrong with lead as far as leathality. The problem is it spreads out much quicker than HTL, therefore the patterns are not near as dense.
Maybe these new shells ain't so bad, but I'm sticking to these pellets made of Gold for now.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Eventually, we'll all have to shoot something besides lead - it'll be illegal. It's a shame, but the left is not going to rest....
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Shooter wrote:
HA!!!! Them dang NE singles have got to be the hardest kickin guns I know of,... Bar none!!!
I patterened my pops NE 10 many years ago from a sitting position,....Geeeeez!!!!
Not only did it knock my hat off, but it has been the only time my hat was laying on the ground in front of me, not behind,...LOL! Thank God that gun is long gone!
One of my close friends has one in 10 bore.. He shoots lead 5s of some variety.. He always makes references like "they don't stand a chance im taking the big bore" "nothing escapes the big gun"... I always want to set him down my 20gauge vs his 10 bore on paper..
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

hawglips wrote:Eventually, we'll all have to shoot something besides lead - it'll be illegal. It's a shame, but the left is not going to rest....
Hal's right. It's not a question of if, but when.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

chatterbox wrote:
hawglips wrote:Eventually, we'll all have to shoot something besides lead - it'll be illegal. It's a shame, but the left is not going to rest....
Hal's right. It's not a question of if, but when.
Yup

Return to “Gun Talk”