savage smokeless

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Rockhound

savage smokeless

Post by Rockhound »

I didn't post this up during deer season but better late than never i guess...

I got the wild hankering for a new ML so i decided on the savage ML2 found one NIB at a local store and. Purchased it and let me tell you it was the smartest deer hunting decision i ever made! Sub moa groups are not a problem and its so much cleaner and cheaper to shoot.

Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: savage smokeless

Post by Turkey Talker »

Sweet rig, and nice buck.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dang Rock,.. Thats a sweet looking rig you got.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Thats a beauty,and smokeless too.May have to have one!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

? How much powder do ya put down the tube?
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

sweet
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

savage smokeless

Post by drenalinld »

I had a load using 46 grains of IMR 4759. I bought a couple 8 lb containers years ago. Great gun. Nice deer.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Great Gun Great deer.. Congrats
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

They're both nice'uns. That will be my next ML. Those Savages are sweet. But no more than I ML hunt, it is hard for me to justify a new one. My old Remmy shoots 1.5" groups with Barnes 300 gr XPanders and BH 209 powder. It's the next best thing to smokeless, relatively clean and trouble free with regards to cleaning.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

devastator wrote:? How much powder do ya put down the tube?

Im using 43 gr. Of imr sr4759 at the moment i plan to work up some before bext season
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Spuriosity wrote:They're both nice'uns. That will be my next ML. Those Savages are sweet. But no more than I ML hunt, it is hard for me to justify a new one. My old Remmy shoots 1.5" groups with Barnes 300 gr XPanders and BH 209 powder. It's the next best thing to smokeless, relatively clean and trouble free with regards to cleaning.

Our ML season is only 2 weeks long so i was in the same boat. But man im glad i bit the bullet
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I looked on their website and couldn't find the MLs. Am I overlooking something ?
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

redarrow wrote:I looked on their website and couldn't find the MLs. Am I overlooking something ?
They are no longer in production, i think they do a special run every 6 or 7 years when they have a sufficient quantity of orders built up. When they do produce it is black/camo stock and blued barrel. They dont produce any stainless anymore
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Nice bucks.

I bought an ML2 years ago when the 2 just came out. I've killed some darn nice bucks with that rig. 4759 is hard to beat, I use 42grn under a 300grn Bonded SW in HPH12 sabot with MMP subbase. Used to run 44grn 4759 under 250SSTs, but had a few blow up bad hence the switch to the bonded pill.

I wish it would shoot the Barnes TMZs, but no dice in mine. My Omega with 110g BH209 shoots the 250TMZ much flatter than my ML2 with SWs, but I still prefer the ML2 for the ease of maintenance.

loder
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Reloader wrote:Nice bucks.

I bought an ML2 years ago when the 2 just came out. I've killed some darn nice bucks with that rig. 4759 is hard to beat, I use 42grn under a 300grn Bonded SW in HPH12 sabot with MMP subbase. Used to run 44grn 4759 under 250SSTs, but had a few blow up bad hence the switch to the bonded pill.

I wish it would shoot the Barnes TMZs, but no dice in mine. My Omega with 110g BH209 shoots the 250TMZ much flatter than my ML2 with SWs, but I still prefer the ML2 for the ease of maintenance.

loder
Randy Wakeman says the Savages shoot the 300 gr Xpanders really well if you want to shoot Barnes. Not that much difference in BCs between the Xpanders and the TMZs. My gun shoots the 300s really well but won't shoot the 250s at all.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

What language are you guy's talkin??
I'm still shootin 120gns of Black under a 430gn Maxi ball in .54 cal, iron sights.
Primitive my Butt!! LMAO!
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

I've shot 5 of em. 4 blue and 1 stainless. 1 of the blue ones was the original ml pre accu trigger. It shot real good. The stainless was terrible. They had problems with them that's one reason they are not offering it. It had tight and loose spots and felt like pushing the sabot down 60 grit sandpaper. 5-6" groups was the best I could get it to do with various bullets from 200-350 grain. Tried 4759, 5744, n110, n120, r7, r10, imr4350, h322 and others. One blue would hold a 2" group consistently and the pre accu trigger one was a shooter with 5744. Mine wouldn't shoot any other book loads nor one of the other blued ones. Ended up shooting 350 gr white powerstars with 72 grains xmr2015 in mine. It would touch holes if I did my part but the recoil got your attention quick lol. Good guns for the money, built heavy. If anyone gets one be sure the scope is not touching the recoil lug as that was a known problem on some. It will not shoot and will drive you nuts trying to figure out what's wrong.

Return to “Gun Talk”