Rifle Bullet question

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Rifle Bullet question

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sal shoot a Ruger Ultra Lite 243.. For years and years she has shot the 100g Federal Nosler Partition round.. Two years ago we switched up to Barnes Vortx 80 G Tipped Triple shot X Bullet for no reason other than for something new..

Ok so upon shooting both bullets last year, I was shocked to find both bullets shot the exact same POI, absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Why is this with the Barnes having a stated muzzle velocity of 3350 and the Federal Premium being 2850..
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Rifle Bullet question

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

At multiple distances? 50, 100, and 200?
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

It a good thing. No ammo spent adjusting POI. Some ammo will shoot very close to other ammo.
Stink is on to something here. Shoot multiple ranges to see inpact there. Dead on at you chosen sight in distance is great but trajectory at different ranges will most likely be a little different. Dont change a thing, just know POI at those ranges also.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Out to 150 dont shoot any further than that.. Just was curious..

Yeah and I agree its a good thing, after watching her pile up deer with the partitions for years and than seeing what the TTSX does I have no fear in grabbing either round while walking out..

The gun shoots both rounds very well, even the partitions.. Surprisingly it shoots very well with 55g Win Ballistic Silver tips as well.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I think you need to examine the ballistic coefficent of the terminal velocity related to the relative humidity of the weather. This in turn will give you the POI of each bullet depending on the muzzle velocity and the density of the metal and of course the burn rate of the powder that each company uses.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

I would never sell that rifle.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

One thing about the barnes is that it may weigh less but it is around the same size because copper weighs less than lead. I shoot the Barnes 80 grain out of my .243 and it is a bad little bullet.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

davisd9 wrote:One thing about the barnes is that it may weigh less but it is around the same size because copper weighs less than lead. I shoot the Barnes 80 grain out of my .243 and it is a bad little bullet.
Im swapping everything over to Barnes they just do not fail.. What the TMZs do out of a muzzy is just incredible.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

what was the rifle zero'd at 100? going from 80 to 100 grain at distances less than 200 yards doesn't make that much of an impact. shouldnt be less than .23 at 200 yards.
Remember that your rifle is still in its RAINBOW at 125-150 yards. Once it reaches its climax and begins to fall will you notice a drastic change.
If you go to the Hornady website they have a ballistics calculator that you can input in all coefficients and weight and compare loads.
Sounds like a sweet little rifle!
Last edited by Turkey Talker on November 12th, 2012, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Yeah its a cool little gun, short little 20 inch bbl. Works nice in shooting houses as ya arent beating on the walls to get it out a window.

The only things I do not care for on the gun is the 3 position safety, prefer the older Ruger safety and it does not have the old skeletized stock, which she wants one.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
davisd9 wrote:One thing about the barnes is that it may weigh less but it is around the same size because copper weighs less than lead. I shoot the Barnes 80 grain out of my .243 and it is a bad little bullet.
Im swapping everything over to Barnes they just do not fail.. What the TMZs do out of a muzzy is just incredible.
I have done so. My main rifle is a Savage 11 .270 win and I shoot the 130 grain barnes. Shot a doe earlier in the year and had to tuck her lung back in through the exit wound. Here is a buck I shot with the 80 grain ttsx in my 243 win. He was not huge but it was late in the year and I was nervous about using an 80 grain bullet. I wanted to put my mind at ease and a decent body buck for SC, 125 lbs, stepped out so I let on down range. This is the exit wound at 60 yards double lung.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... -20112.jpg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I got to get me a box of those TTX 80 grains for my Styer 243! I have some reloads with varget and 72 grain speers for coyotes. man they are viscous on them.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Sal shoot a Ruger Ultra Lite 243.. For years and years she has shot the 100g Federal Nosler Partition round.. Two years ago we switched up to Barnes Vortx 80 G Tipped Triple shot X Bullet for no reason other than for something new..

Ok so upon shooting both bullets last year, I was shocked to find both bullets shot the exact same POI, absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Why is this with the Barnes having a stated muzzle velocity of 3350 and the Federal Premium being 2850..
This is not that uncommon, I have heard of, and seen it myself a few times, but does not usually happen.
More often than not, it is the sign of a gun that has been put together true, and the barrel is sweet.
I have a custom Rem 700 chambered in 7mm STW. It shoots most bullets POI.
It also shoots a clean/oiled/patched barrel, the same POI as a fouled barrel.

Just a side note, I have never shot Barnes, so I can not speak anything about them.
I shoot Noslers 95% of the time, even in some of my match rifles.
Sierra's, Hornady's, Berger's, and Lapua's make up the other 5%.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote:I got to get me a box of those TTX 80 grains for my Styer 243! I have some reloads with varget and 72 grain speers for coyotes. man they are viscous on them.
You should try them.. I did some googling on them when they were new and on alot of the "shooting forums" whereas the fellas take it as seriously as we do gobblers the accuracy was noted for a factory round.
Shooter wrote:
Just a side note, I have never shot Barnes, so I can not speak anything about them.
I shoot Noslers 95% of the time, even in some of my match rifles.
Sierra's, Hornady's, Berger's, and Lapua's make up the other 5%.
I am just a fan of the simplicity of how the all copper construction works. My father shot the PMC loading of the original X Bullet for years and I and Sal in the Muzzys and now her rifle they just plain work. I have never had a fail to pass through so I have never found a bullet, but each and every recovered Barnes bullet on various forums look identical.

In the frontstuffer its a No Brainer for me, I have tunnel vision with the TMZ, T-EZ and Expander. If I purchased a frontstuffer that failed to shoot these accurately I would most likely sell the weapon.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I see Barnes has some rebates on their factory ammo. http://www.barnesbullets.com/rebates/ I might have to try some out.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

The TTSX is an incredible bullet. Good medicine for any animal in North America. It is more fail safe than the Fail Safe!! I hand load it for my 300 mag using the 168 gr at almost 3,400 fps it is wicked, wicked, wicked.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

I have loaded the barnes but with time constraints and as few I use a year I buy their factory loads. You will see a different in price between the hand load and factory but performance is right there together. I highly suggest them. They are a great bullet and retain 99 - 100% of their weight. Their ballasitcs are great as well.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sal whacked a fat nannie last night with the 80g TTSX.. She shot her in the neck and OMG the entrance and exit were just sick. :shock:

Would have taken a pic, but she had it mostly skinned out when I walked to where she killed it.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I don't have to tell you Sal is a good one!
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

My brother and I both shoot the .243 barnes TTSX 80 grain bullets and have been more than impressed with the results. I shoot the 110 barnes TTSX tipped federal premium bullets out of my .270 WSM at a factory claimed 3500 fps and can also say those babies are nasty for deer.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

el diablo wrote:My brother and I both shoot the .243 barnes TTSX 80 grain bullets and have been more than impressed with the results. I shoot the 110 barnes TTSX tipped federal premium bullets out of my .270 WSM at a factory claimed 3500 fps and can also say those babies are nasty for deer.
Sal won a Win 70 270 WSM a few years back at a DU or NWTF banquet.. We had no use for the gun so she sold it to a guy at church.. He brought her his targets.. :shock: And than all the pics of deer he kills with it.. Kinda kicking ourselves for letting it go without shooting it.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

the WSM is a good round but I prefer the 270 winchester. If you reload it is not a big deal but if you buy factory ammo the cost is different. I have heard great things about the WSM but they just do not add enough ballistics for me to justify it. If I ever get some free money and cannot decide what to do with it I might get one to play with, but a shotgun will probably be bought first, haha.
BigHooks

Post by BigHooks »

I have a wsm winchester 300, love the way the winchester ballistic silvertip 150 shoots in the gun, only thing I hate is theres not to many companys out there that makes 300 wsm bullets inless you load your own. That's worth anything, with the silivertips it's a great shooting gun, but I beleave any gun can out shot it;s owner.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

BigHooks wrote:I have a wsm winchester 300, love the way the winchester ballistic silvertip 150 shoots in the gun, only thing I hate is theres not to many companys out there that makes 300 wsm bullets inless you load your own. That's worth anything, with the silivertips it's a great shooting gun, but I beleave any gun can out shot it;s owner.
One of my good friends just bought a 300 WSM a month ago.. Due to the bullet availability he was forced to buy Fed Prem 150 Nosler BTs.. They shot really well and he took it to NE. He shot a buck and it did not go very far but the blood trail was pathetic. Upon gutting and skinning the deer he found that the bullet had did what ballistic tips due and essentially exploded in the whitetail causing massive trauma internally with no exit.

Naturally he is none to excited about the performance.. I warned him when he shopped for ammo for this gun to go with a bonded BT such as Noslers accubond or the Barnes TTSX if he insisted on a BT. Otherwise something more traditional like a Partition or Fusion..

Return to “Gun Talk”