Love'n my little NWTF Winchester rite now.

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
FOX FIRE

Love'n my little NWTF Winchester rite now.

Post by FOX FIRE »

My new neighbor has a rotten basset hound that for some reason feels he needs to walk the 300+ yards up to my house to take a big steam'n dump, then when he leaves my fiest follows him off & I dont want her near the road to get ran over, for the last week or so I've threatened to burn him up so he'll stay away.

Noticed my dog have'n a fit while ago & looked to see the basset sniff'n around, jumped up & dropped a couple short brass 7 shot in my Win & walked out to see him waddling up the drive, he was at least 50 yards away & I only had a window about 2 feet wide as walked between 2 trees, leveled down on him & squeezed a round off, he squalled tires all the way outta site, burned his smelly turd sqeezer up, really suprised me consider'n the distance & ammo used.

Dont take me wrong I dont find any pleasure in shoot'n dogs & especialy neighbors dogs but its ther responsability to keep them fenced,tied or put up, I keep mine tied on a run line & only let her off after I get home from work, dont want to have to replace any of my neigbors propperty my dog mite have torn up.

This being said I've been on the fence about sell'n the Win for a while, but after a shot at that distance with short brass I'm think "Man, this gun can really shoot."
When I was just a baby my mama told me son, always be a good boy & dont ever play with guns.
ArkansasDon

Re: Love'n my little NWTF Winchester rite now.

Post by ArkansasDon »

:x I would of handle it differently, w/o a firearm. I could see if it was livestock or the dog was in a threating manner. But none of them were discribed in your post. Plan & simple, that was cruelity to someones pet. You quoted "Dont take me wrong I dont find any pleasure in shoot'n dogs", unquote to me you were bragging on the shot you made & your title of this post Love'n my little NWTF Winchester rite now.. That sucks & it is sick & I can think of some colorful words for you too. :roll:

I hope the moderator removes this post
Last edited by ArkansasDon on October 21st, 2012, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Bad!!!!!!!!! Call the law and have dogs owner warned. Then have dog taken to pound.
Dog does not know any better.
Never shoot a dog.
Good thing you didnt do it to mine.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Not cool dude, dog could still get an infection and die.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Three things you don't mess with. A man's Wife, his money, or his dog. Not necessarily in that order. Bad things tend to happen when you mess with either one.

I agree it is your neighbors responsibility to keep his dog under control. But shooting at your neighbors dog at any distance in a non threatening situation is wrong. Shooting at a neighbors dog isn't very smart, posting it on a public forum is even, lets say less smart. There are even legal issues involved with what you said you did.

I agree, this post needs to be pulled.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
FOX FIRE

Post by FOX FIRE »

Sorry gents, no offence meant & I'm not bragging on my gun thank you, just saying it suprised me that it even burnt the dog at that distance considering I was using short brass, and as far as the pound goes we live in a very rural area & ther is no pound so many dogs get dropped , besides I have 2 grand kids that play in my yard & I dont want them getting bit by any dog much less one that never gets its yearly vacinations & piles up with the res of thier mangy dogs. ( and lets not forget having to clean my grandkids shoes from all the prizes he leaves behind)

I've called the police before & his exact word were "take care of it yourself we have more important things to do than play dog catcher & if its ther dog its ther responsability."
When I was just a baby my mama told me son, always be a good boy & dont ever play with guns.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Sorry Not buyin. Not the dogs fault.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Did I really just read that?! WOW!! Brother I'd say you got some issues. It should of been handled in a different manner. I bet your grand kids would be proud of you for shooting a dog. A Bassett hound at that? Glad we aren't neighbors!
Pass the biscuits!!
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

Johndoe wrote:Sorry Not buyin. Not the dogs fault.
Have to agree with ya John. I live in a small town of 460 population. We have strays dumped in our area all the time but our town folks make it a point to try to find homes or they drive 38 miles to Batesville to the pound or humane society. Arkansas passed a law on cruelity to animals, it is a felony. Their lots of animal programs that foster dogs too. We got our last Rat Terrier "Scooter" from a foster program. These programs are national wide. The small town bit I dont buy it. You posted your thread on the manner of how accurate this gun was, on your neighbor dog & poop and how terrific the shot was from a questionalble gun. You dont see what the rest of us are saying? That aint right
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

To each his own, but if the dog kept laying steamer beans in the yard and didnt stop messing with your animals I would have approached the owners first. If it would have been an agressive pet or animal i would have shot it, but the little wiener would have gotten a pass from me. Even though dogs droppin bombs in your yard pisses everyone off you should have told the jackwagons next door first.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

ArkansasDon wrote:
Have to agree with ya John. I live in a small town of 460 population. We have strays dumped in our area all the time but our town folks make it a point to try to find homes or they drive 38 miles to Batesville to the pound or humane society. Arkansas passed a law on cruelity to animals, it is a felony. Their lots of animal programs that foster dogs too. We got our last Rat Terrier "Scooter" from a foster program. These programs are national wide. The small town bit I dont buy it. You posted your thread on the manner of how accurate this gun was, on your neighbor dog & poop and how terrific the shot was from a questionalble gun. You dont see what the rest of us are saying? That aint right

Who pays for these programs? :lol:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Had a similar but different problem a few years back.. The neighbors small white Jack Russell found the area we cleaned birds. Problem lied not with him feasting on the remains, but the fact there is a gun blind very close. The small dog would be there all evening long barking and tearing at the carcasses.

This went on for a month or more and seemingly deer movement at this location dwindled. Being that they are good neighbors and in no way wanted to harm the small dog I came up with a solution. The next deer we harvested after skinning and quartering I placed the carcass, guts and hide on the property line where the little fellar crossed to go to the other area..

Man that little dog loved it, he would be there on that carcass every evening and not leave until his little white body was all red and brown with guts.. Doing so deer sightings out of that blind went back up.. It was a win win solution.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

YOU SHOT THE DOG !!! :shaking:

:grommit:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
FOX FIRE

Post by FOX FIRE »

Ther was a dog rescue about 40 away but shut down due to lack of funds, I understand times change but around here most people deal with it themselves, even most dog men I know will "cull" thier dogs if needed.

Just so everyone will feel better The dog has resumed his roaming, I seen him in another yard yesterday evening & stopped my truck, rolled the window down & whistled , he wagged his tail & walked off, he's fine.

I wonder if ya'll would've even gave it a second thought if it had been a cat.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Good Lord man. You did 2 things wrong. You shot an Innocent Dog and bragged about it on a public forum.
Get over yourself. What if they shot your fiest when it followed their basset. You would be pissed.

John

What's up with that
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dam Son,... You've stirred up a hornets nest now. I know you live up in the mountains of TN, and the part of the mountain your from is closest thing to Deliverance there is in the world, been there, know that there are no blacks in that county. Only place in the world like it.
I can not condone your actions, you should have done something differently FIRST. And most of all,... kept something like that to yourself.
Yea, I've seen Quail hunters burn thier bird dogs butt with 9s, when ever they would chase a deer at a good distance, but one thing that I have learned over the years, you don't mess with someones children, grandchildren or pets.
You need to delete this thread as fast as you can.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

SHAME ON YOU ! :o
Last edited by vaturkey on October 23rd, 2012, 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Was it the boy playing the banjos dog?!
Pass the biscuits!!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Feed Jake.

ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

Turkey Talker wrote:
ArkansasDon wrote:

Who pays for these programs? :lol:

Who pays for the apotion & fostering programs for strays, Here in Arkansas it is done all by donations. You have 10 days to have the animal neutered or spayed by a local vet, if the animal has be neutered or spayed then shots & check-up then the vet mails in a certificate to the county animal control you picked up the animal in. If you dont have this done in the 10 day they pick up the animal. It a very good program. Better than a bullet
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gobbler wrote:Feed Jake.

now thats some funny stuff right there!

I had a black lab named Jake...

when ever it was my sons time to feed him, I would start singing that to him. He hated it when I did that. made him feel all sorry and feed the labs extra food. :usa:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Lmao feed jake
FOX FIRE

Post by FOX FIRE »

Have to say you gents are correct in shaming me, been on my mind all day, entirly true it shouldve been handled in a more civilized way, decided to appologise this evening & make things right as possible

So I knocked off work early so to catch the owner before it got too late in the evening & found the dog nearly a mile away walking tward the highway, picked him up a took him home, knocked on the door & the owner came out on the porch & I explained what happened, needless to say he wasnt happy about it, we put the dog on the p[orch & gave him a good look'n over & I then ran hy hands down him to see if anything could be felt & squeezed/pressed all over the side that was tward me, we found nothing that seemed to tender or made him flinch.

Told him I would have taken to a vet of his choice in he wanted me to & have him propperly checked & he declined & said he thinks he's fine but will watch him thru the week & let me know, we shook hands & parted way.

All appologise for such actions, you guys were right & put me in my place so no hard feelings I hope, if the mods think they need to ban me I understand entirely.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Dont worry this isnt commy land
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

No hard feelings here. That was big of you to man up. Not many people would have done that.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff

Return to “Gun Talk”