Whos all Shooting Blackhorn 209

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Whos all Shooting Blackhorn 209

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have been gonna switch, but dang Sal and I are very fortunate to have our guns love the 2 50g 777 pellet Barnes TMZ combo..

I know if it aint broke, but dang the thought of no spit patching is appealing..
Grunt-N-Gobble

Re: Whos all Shooting Blackhorn 209

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

I've wanted to try the stuff, but they say it has to be ignited with a 209 primer and I have my gun set up with a different breach plug using a small rifle primer to ignite loose 777 powder.

If it would work, I'd switch over but I'm not going to buy a pound of the stuff to try and then be stuck with it if it doesn't.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Most guys that shoot it, use a 209M would you assume your rifle primer is hotter than a 209?
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

I have no idea if the rifle primer is hotter or just as hot.

I guess I could call the manufacturer, Blackhorn and ask them. Just haven't done it yet.
JUGHEAD

Post by JUGHEAD »

Getting setup to shoot it right now. Piss on a bunch of Pyrodex and/or Triple 7. I sold my Savage smokeless because I've heard so much good stuff about this Blackhorn....those folks better be right or somebody's getting a knot on their head. :D
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

i know a few guys tryed it and then they went back to the 777, and yes 209's are hotter :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
HuntSource

Post by HuntSource »

While I've only shot it one season through one rifle, Blackhorn 209 delivered more consistent accuracy, bullets were easier to load, and it was significantly cleaner than anything else I've used. Until last year, I had been using T7 for several years. Even so, I can't imagine that it'd be an improvement over smokeless out of a Savage. If the Savage fit me better, that's what I'd be running.
JUGHEAD

Post by JUGHEAD »

HuntSource wrote: Even so, I can't imagine that it'd be an improvement over smokeless out of a Savage. If the Savage fit me better, that's what I'd be running.
If the Savage were cheaper and lighter, I would still have one. But, since we really don't have much need for a muzzleloader in Alabama with our rifle season, I just couldn't justify keeping it....especially when I bought a brand new CVA Optima for $75.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I'm shooting it out of a Rem 700 ML that has been retrofitted to fire 209s. I tried Fed 209As and CCI 209Ms and had trouble getting consistent ignition with the the standard flash hole in the breech plug. Drilled out the flash hole from .030" to .040". Now it shoots great with CCI 209Ms...105 grains volumetrically of BH 209 gives 1772 fps with a Barnes 300 gr XPander. Accuracy is 1.5" for 3 shots with no need to spitpatch or even clean between shots if you don't want to. It doesn't draw moisture like 777, and you can leave the gun loaded all season if you want to. I'm never going back.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Grunt-N-Gobble wrote:I've wanted to try the stuff, but they say it has to be ignited with a 209 primer and I have my gun set up with a different breach plug using a small rifle primer to ignite loose 777 powder.

If it would work, I'd switch over but I'm not going to buy a pound of the stuff to try and then be stuck with it if it doesn't.

Small rifle or large rifle primer, it should work fine. It is still a lot hotter than a PC cap.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Spuriosity wrote:I'm shooting it out of a Rem 700 ML that has been retrofitted to fire 209s. I tried Fed 209As and CCI 209Ms and had trouble getting consistent ignition with the the standard flash hole in the breech plug. Drilled out the flash hole from .030" to .040". Now it shoots great with CCI 209Ms...105 grains volumetrically of BH 209 gives 1772 fps with a Barnes 300 gr XPander. Accuracy is 1.5" for 3 shots with no need to spitpatch or even clean between shots if you don't want to. It doesn't draw moisture like 777, and you can leave the gun loaded all season if you want to. I'm never going back.
Sal shoots a new CVA Optima and I shoot an Elite.. We would both have to either have our plugs drilled or I believe Blackhorn or CVA sells a larger flash holed plug..

I shoot the Elite for both rifle season and muzzy season.. It shoots as well as most rifles at 100 yards if not better and it is the one gun I truly enjoy sitting down an shooting..
mrlongbeard

Post by mrlongbeard »

i have shot Blackhorn powder for a couple years now. wouldnt go back to pellets if you guys bought them for me. no more crud ring to deal with,much more consistant velocity,by far the most accurate i have used. very easy to load bullets. I purposely shot my gun and left it uncleaned for 2 weeks, with zero sign of corrosion,the gun is stainless. Blackhorn will not suck up water like pyrodex pellets. Try them guys , you will be pleasantly surprised.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I think Slicky and Reloader both swear by it. If I shot a ML I would try it cause they recommended it.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Shooter wrote:
Grunt-N-Gobble wrote:I've wanted to try the stuff, but they say it has to be ignited with a 209 primer and I have my gun set up with a different breach plug using a small rifle primer to ignite loose 777 powder.

Small rifle or large rifle primer, it should work fine. It is still a lot hotter than a PC cap.
Well, maybe it's worth a try. But maybe I'll make the call first. Don't want to waste money.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

BH 209 is definitely harder to ignite than loose 777, which I used for years. But if you can get your gun to burn it, it is well worth the effort.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Grunt-N-Gobble wrote:
Shooter wrote:

Well, maybe it's worth a try. But maybe I'll make the call first. Don't want to waste money.
You wont be stuck with it.. Buy it see if it works, if it does not, send it up to me, than you will not be stuck with it.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

tell ya the truth....I wasn't much impressed with it just yet. I did mess up the hole and completely drilled out the flash hole on accident.

Gotta fix that and will shoot some more to see if that is all of my problem with it.

shot 3 types of primers..777, Rem clean bore and winch 209 and all of them failed.

Don't know why other than the powder must have got moisture from being in and out of my truck and office.
I never had a problem with 777 going booom...
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote:tell ya the truth....I wasn't much impressed with it just yet. I did mess up the hole and completely drilled out the flash hole on accident.

Gotta fix that and will shoot some more to see if that is all of my problem with it.

shot 3 types of primers..777, Rem clean bore and winch 209 and all of them failed.

Don't know why other than the powder must have got moisture from being in and out of my truck and office.
I never had a problem with 777 going booom...
The clean primers are NOT recommended they are not as hot.. I would try some M primers and see what you got..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Soon as I get another breech drilled I will try a M and see what happens.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gun Talk”