Glock 20 - 10 mm

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Glock 20 - 10 mm

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I don't currently own a handgun. I've never really had the desire until now. I've shot several of Dad's hanguns through the years ranging from 22s to 44s. Dad has always loved the things, especially the old cowboy style revolvers.

If I decide to buy, I'm considering a Glock 20 Gen 4 in 10 mm. I don't plan to use it for every day carry, but instead for carry while hunting bear country, alongside a bear spray cannister.

The Glock is reasonably priced for a 10. Do any of you guys have experience with the Glock 20?
Gmed

Re: Glock 20 - 10 mm

Post by Gmed »

I am a Glock armorer. The Glock is a simple and reliable semi-auto. Use it within its limits and remember it’s not a lot more than a .357 magnum, just more rounds at hand with the hi cap magazine. Pick your ammo wisely - a good 180-200 grain bullet like a loading from Cor-bon etc, and you should be way better off than not having anything. Look at the Glock model 40. The 6” barrel makes quite a bit of difference.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Thanks for the info.
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I hear they work if you learn how to use them. If you're not a handgun enthusiast you can shorten your learning curve by having a handgun that points naturally. I recommend trying different pistols to see if the sights are aligned where you point it. If it doesn't point naturally find something that does. Glocks don't work for me and I'm not willing to learn how to make it work. Too easy to just use something that does from the start. If Glocks don't point for you, XDs might. 1911s point for just about everyone, but they're heavier.

My gun for that purpose is a S&W 69. I'd suggest it except learning to run a double action revolver is one reason why so many people prefer pistols nowadays.

Post by 935 »

I'm always thinking about a new handgun. This is the 10 I'll get when the money and the notion line up.

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g40-gen4-mos

As howl said, try a few and see which one works for you. Grip angle is the key.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

Agree with what Howl said on trying different ones. Glocks fit me like a bad pair of Saturday night dance shoes and I have tried to learn them, but they just don't fit like a M&P (not available in 10mm) or a XDM which is available in a 10mm also.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

If your have not previously been a handgun enthusiast I would urge you to buy not just one , but two. Find the big bore revolver or pistol which fits your hand, has sights which easily align for you and which carries comfortably. Once you find a big bore firearm which you like, check out and buy a 22 cal. handgun with a similar heft, feel, and ergonomics which matches those of the large bore gun. You can afford to shoot a 22 cal, they are fun to shoot for you and the family, and you can hone all of your shooting skills on a firearm w/ substantially less recoil and noise and will find that the practice w/ a 22 will translate to and enhance your shooting of the large bore firearm. I always try and match all my big bores w/ a similar 22 for both handguns and long guns and the practice w/ a 22 cal is invaluable. As an aside, I'm a big fan of revolvers for their safety and ease of operation and use a cross-chest holster to distribute weight when carrying large heavy N-frame sized or larger revolvers and for big bear protection check out the S&W 460 which also chambers the 454 Casull and 45 Colt and is a great hunting cartridge.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

I have both revolvers and semis. Always a trade off when picking the piece. When I'm packing a trail gun, I much prefer the revolver for simplicity. I don't have to worry about FTF or FTE and then reaching to clear the jam. With the revolver, just pull the trigger and it goes bang. If not, pull it again.

Agree with decoy on the cross chest holster. I carry a single action Ruger this way very, very comfortably.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I can't find a G20, 29, or 40 in stock anywhere, so probably doesn't matter. Lots of 9s, but no ammo to speak of. 45s also, but was thinking a 10 if I go auto. I just can't stomach $1600 for one. I suppose GunBroker is an option.

I did just do a little research on the XDM and watched some YouTube reviews. It looks like a good option for my use. The 4.5" or the 5.25. I probably can't find them either, but will look for one to check out.

If I decided on a revolver, I wouldn't go over a 44. I've shot a 44, 357, and multiple 22 revolvers in the past (it's been a while) and I don't want to hang onto anything more than. 44.
okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

Hobbes_mobile wrote:I can't find a G20, 29, or 40 in stock anywhere, so probably doesn't matter. Lots of 9s, but no ammo to speak of. 45s also, but was thinking a 10 if I go auto. I just can't stomach $1600 for one. I suppose GunBroker is an option.

I did just do a little research on the XDM and watched some YouTube reviews. It looks like a good option for my use. The 4.5" or the 5.25. I probably can't find them either, but will look for one to check out.

If I decided on a revolver, I wouldn't go over a 44. I've shot a 44, 357, and multiple 22 revolvers in the past (it's been a while) and I don't want to hang onto anything more than. 44.
Glock hasn't produced much for months due to Rona.

I had a 20, sold it off once kimber produced a 10mm in their target model. At the time I had it the triggers were horrendous. Really wish I would have kept it since they came out with those Roni conversions. Would have turned it into a pig slaying machine.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Not a lot of difference between .357 and hot 10mm. .44 mag is a pussycat in a full size heavy Ruger. Just gotta find your sweet spot for what you're willing to carry. I don't find an L frame or GP100 in .357 any more pleasant than .44 mag, but others do. I can't stand a K-frame .357 at all.

Course bigger bores do cost more to feed. Significant if you have only the one to practice with. My next big bore revolver will probably be the Redhawk made to use .45 Colt and ACP. I'm a .44 fan, but your ACP rounds are more economical than .44 Special. The truth is I shoot more if I can get cheap factory ammo than I do if aI have to load my own.

I have always had good luck with gunbroker.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I found the 5.25" Springfield XDM 10mm locally. I wasn't expecting to find it, so I bought it without my usual pick it up and look at it for a month before I decide routine. I'll shoot it this week, probably tomorrow, for the first time.
IMG_20200719_163552630.jpg
IMG_20200719_163532842.jpg
nyhunter

Post by nyhunter »

I have the Glock 40 gen 4 mos 10mm, absolutely love it, very very accurate out to 60yds. thats the farthest I was able to shoot it . The 20 would make a great gun if you want a little shorter barrel .
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Nice! And half a pound less than a GP100.

Post by 935 »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: July 19th, 2020, 6:57 pm I found the 5.25" Springfield XDM 10mm locally. I wasn't expecting to find it, so I bought it without my usual pick it up and look at it for a month before I decide routine. I'll shoot it this week, probably tomorrow, for the first time.

IMG_20200719_163552630.jpg

IMG_20200719_163532842.jpg
Marvelous, simply marvelous. Can't wait for the shooting video.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

Keep an eye out for some of double tap's ammo. Been shooting their 200gr hard cast and 150gr controlled expansion at critters for a good while. The 150 is a solid whitetail round and the 200gr is my go to for big 150+lb hogs.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I bought Buffalo Bore hard cast 220s for bear country.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I got a 10 mm rock island. I love it.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “Gun Talk”