Any advice appreciated

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Grizzly Johnson

Any advice appreciated

Post by Grizzly Johnson »

I am looking at setting up a dedicated turkey rig for a person suffering from astigmatism. A bead has been used in years past but looking at possibly a red dot type sight.... I have read a few threads on here with comments here and there but need some focused input.

So I have looked over the red dots like the RMR type footprints... Trijicon, Swampfox, Holosun.... to use with the Scalarworks type mount for a very low profile. I have also looked at the Vortex Spitfire as someone suggested in another thread.... something similar that will work with an EGW pictinny rail....

My main concerns are the lighting conditions where dot "washout" could occur and battery life.... which on most sights today seem to be on the long side.

Gun is a Stoeger M3500

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
SwampDrummin

Re: Any advice appreciated

Post by SwampDrummin »

I‘ve got it in both eyes, never had a problem with low power scopes. Me and re-dots never got along for a wide variety of issues. Me and beads got along worse. The reddot blur being doubled never made them an issue though , in fact your question was the first time I thought “oh yeah that is probably why it got so big in brighter settings”
liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

I have battled an astigmatism for years and honestly a scope and crosshairs was my best solution.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Several guys who have problems with the red dots have switched to the Swampfox Kingslayer green dot. No washout and no starburst effects. As far as battery life it’s lowest. But easily replaced on the side of the optic. So I am carrying an extra battery with me
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

You also have a GN promocode for EGW and Swampfox.

Swampfox promocode is GOBBLE2020
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I suffer from astigmatism but it is corrected by my glasses. I have used FF IIIs for years with no problems whatsoever. Mine is mounted extremely low on my 11-87 with a Burris 336 mount. I have found the dot brightness to be spot on in all lighting conditions with the auto setting and never get starburst or washout. Battery life is super long, the sight is super light-weight, and the price is not bad for what you get. I have lost a couple of the snap on covers they use, but Burris CS has been great and sent one out promptly - free of charge. I am a very satisfied customer.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

One thing that might help would be to buy a system with the smallest MOA dot available. Any blob would be smaller.
Grizzly Johnson

Appreciate the responses to you all, thank you , this gives me more info to make a better decision.
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
Elmerfudd

Post by Elmerfudd »

I also have an astigmatism but not too severe. I have FF3, Nikon Spur, Holosun HS507C and SwampFox red dots. The above advice is correct - buy the smallest dot available. I have an FF2 with a bit larger dot and on brighter settings it looks like a big comma. My 2 and 3 minute dots are much much cleaner. All of those I listed above give me a clean dot, Holosun maybe just a bit cleaner than the others listed. Also and if your friend has the bucks - Leica has a red dot reflex out now, same shape as the others but its not a reflected image dot like the ones I listed above (either that or its a different lens design). I looked through one recently and its hands down the clearest dot Ive ever looked at. Etched dot reticles don't react to astigmatisms the way the reflected dot sights do. (apparently) The Leica and the Trijicon SRO are the nicest I have ever looked through and priced accordingly.
Grizzly Johnson

Thank you for the reply!

Return to “Gun Talk”