Scope suggestions?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
HoltBensley

Scope suggestions?

Post by HoltBensley »

Looking for some suggestions on a price friendly scopes but good quality to mount on a 301t .410
Skimerhorn

Re: Scope suggestions?

Post by Skimerhorn »

Vortex venom
HoltBensley

Post by HoltBensley »

Looking for a scope not a Red dot but yes the venom is slick!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

HoltBensley wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 8:11 pm Looking for a scope not a Red dot but yes the venom is slick!
I had one of the Leupolds NWTF models that had the crosshairs and the circle.

someone mentioned on Facebook that Leupold would put any type of reticle in a scope. I would try and buy a low power scope with a 40-42 bell and have that same type reticle placed in it
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
HoltBensley

Post by HoltBensley »

I like the leaupold nwtf but just a little pricey for an 150 dollar bang bang
Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

HoltBensley wrote:I like the leaupold nwtf but just a little pricey for an 150 dollar bang bang
Wasn’t this scope discontinued? I kick myself for not getting one or two of them.
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

At the range you should shoot a turkey at no one with anywhere near normal sight should ever need a scope on a shotgun.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

ol bob wrote: January 5th, 2020, 7:54 am At the range you should shoot a turkey at no one with anywhere near normal sight should ever need a scope on a shotgun.
That is one opinion, I guess. That is more than likely the same opinion of someone that has never hunted with a scope for turkeys.

To the original poster, I have two of the Leupold NWTF scopes and they are great, but honestly all you need is a good quality scope in the 2-4X range. Mine are 2x7 and they never see anything much higher than 4. The main thing is make sure the scope you choose has plenty of eye relief, so your face isn't too close to the scope. Search ebay for a Nikon, Burris, Leupold and if you are not in a big rush you will come across a great deal.

Good luck and you will love the precision of a scope with today's loads and chokes, it make all the difference.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

ol bob wrote: January 5th, 2020, 7:54 am At the range you should shoot a turkey at no one with anywhere near normal sight should ever need a scope on a shotgun.
More than a few shotguns do not shoot to point of aim! My first turkey killer (which I still use) is a Benelli SBE that pattered 12” low and 12” right with the loads that I was using. An aiming device corrects this.
Having a scope of any type makes for pinpoint accuracy. Not always needed, but always appreciated. My eyes are old and tired but have used a red dot on all of my turkey shotguns since day one.
Each to his own but I am on the red dot bandwagon. ( Aimpoint for me)!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

You take those comments and put them on Facebook Ol Bob, lol.
In theory if humans were perfect machines then I would agree.

In reality, we peak, twist, rush, and at some point, your eyes start to go. We also haven’t figured out how to manufacture every shotgun in a way that that they all shoot to point of aim straight out of the box. So I don’t agree. A gobbler’s moving head (or not moving bead) in cover at 30-40 yards is also a challenge....scopes help with the “point and pray” game.

A low power scope is where it’s at. Unfortunately I don’t think there is a cheap option on the market right now. Someone prove that I’m wrong though. You definitely want one with sufficient eye relief too.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

This is why red dots rock. Zero magnification and unlimited eye relief.
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

I did not say that you do not need sight adjustment, just that you don't need a scope, I'm 75 years old, one eye, and cataracts and can still see a turkeys eye at 40 yards so why would I need a scope to kill him.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I applaud your ability, Bob!! If your gun shoots to POA, you are good to go!
In my case, beside the sight adjustment, I don’t “need” a red dot, but I love the certainty of one. There is no guess work. Put the dot on his head and it’s game over. Every time.
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

A red dot is not a scope but they are the best thing that has ever been made for a turkey gun.A scope has power a red dot does not and you don't need any.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I hear what you’re saying, Bob.
I’m a red dot guy on turkey guns. Some like a scope. Some like a plain bead. Each to his own. What works for you may not work for them and vice versa. Nothing is mandatory.
You use what works best for you.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

ol bob wrote: January 6th, 2020, 7:58 am I did not say that you do not need sight adjustment, just that you don't need a scope, I'm 75 years old, one eye, and cataracts and can still see a turkeys eye at 40 yards so why would I need a scope to kill him.
I bet in your day you did some things with women you didn’t really need to do but sure were nice.......... :turkeywave:
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

They are pricey. But if I were buying a scope I would get Leupold VXR 1-4 Scope. It has a cross hair and
fire dot reticle.
Mike
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Well I have (2) 870's one 12 and one 20. They both have scopes and OMG, I can't remember what brand.....I'm thinking Nikon. I'll check shortly. I have scopes on my turkey guns because I like it that way. Are they needed....nope, but that's my preference. However you choose to hunt is up to you and only you.

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Bigvet

Post by Bigvet »

I agree w CamoMan. I put a Leupold 2x7x33 duplex on my Tristar Viper .410. Vortex Venom on my Stevens 301T. Not sure which I like best, Red dots or scopes. I just need to shoot them more to decide.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I have a Bushnell Banner 2x7x32 camo model on both my shotguns and it works great!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hootie2

Post by Hootie2 »

I really like my vortex 1x scope, it was made for muzzleloaders and they discontinued it but i like it better than my Leopold 2x7 turkey scope because at 1x the field of view is huge.
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

I have used a 1X Burris and a 0 power Pentax on turkey guns and they worked perfectly. When the Burris red dots started getting popular I switched to them and like them equally as well. The scopes reside in my safe if anyone is interested. What I like about the red dots and scopes on a turkey gun is the ability to see the whole turkey when lining up the shot. With the bead sight system, that I used for years, you obscure the bottom 2/3rds of the turkey when taking a fine aim.

Casey

Return to “Gun Talk”