410?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
old dog

Re: 410?

Post by old dog »

I started hunting in a different time when shotguns weights may have been an inconvenience but it was just part of the game and most often not a concern. I can remember lugging my old Wingmaster all day jump shooting ducks or kicking up pheasants. One of the pleasant amenities when I started turkey hunting were slings. At that point the weight really wasn't a concern. In fact, a heavier gun helped recoil. I believe I can still handle 7 pounds.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

hoobilly wrote: July 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm
GLS wrote: July 1st, 2019, 6:37 pm The BPS 20 ga. could be the heaviest 20 ga. pump made. The current Ithaca TurkeySlayer 20 is also heavy, about the same weight. The BPS specs for field, wooden stock, states 7 lbs. 1 oz or the same weight as a Benelli SBE or 870 SuperMag both in 12. For my purposes, buying a gun that carries like a 12 and shoots like a 20 isn't in my future. YMMV.
My ithaca 12 weights 7.1 with a sling. Not overly heavy
Kind of like it's owner, after waffles and syrup ! :toothy7:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

spider316 wrote: July 1st, 2019, 7:56 pm
hoobilly wrote: July 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm
GLS wrote: July 1st, 2019, 6:37 pm The BPS 20 ga. could be the heaviest 20 ga. pump made. The current Ithaca TurkeySlayer 20 is also heavy, about the same weight. The BPS specs for field, wooden stock, states 7 lbs. 1 oz or the same weight as a Benelli SBE or 870 SuperMag both in 12. For my purposes, buying a gun that carries like a 12 and shoots like a 20 isn't in my future. YMMV.
My ithaca 12 weights 7.1 with a sling. Not overly heavy
Kind of like it's owner, after waffles and syrup ! :toothy7:
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Yea that 7lb bps really does soak up the recoil compared to my 870 youth model
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I have a stack of old Ithaca M37's in 20 and 16. The old 20's are less than 6 lbs. My 16's are 6.25 to 6.5 lbs (solid rib). My 20 ga. TS M37 is at 7 lbs. The old M37's 12 ga. are about 7. The newer guns are heavier. The older guns in 20 ga. are all 2.75 and have thinner barrels than the newer ones which have screw-in chokes.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GLS wrote: July 1st, 2019, 9:01 pm I have a stack of old Ithaca M37's in 20 and 16. The old 20's are less than 6 lbs. My 16's are 6.25 to 6.5 lbs (solid rib). My 20 ga. TS M37 is at 7 lbs. The old M37's 12 ga. are about 7. The newer guns are heavier. The older guns in 20 ga. are all 2.75 and have thinner barrels than the newer ones which have screw-in chokes.
its been 9 years since my Ithaca 20 was stolen with the other 7 guns

that and the 870 hurts the most. and I had 2 Benelli SBE's that were taken then too

both of them killed a pile of gobblers. makes me sick thinking of how many more i would've kilt with them.

liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

Dare to be different. There is always the 28 gauge, and best of both worlds.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: July 1st, 2019, 1:51 pm The tungsten shells have really increased the options for turkey hunters since you last hunted them. If you want the 20 gauge BPS for purposes other than turkey hunting, you can load your own shells down to whatever level you want. A one ounce 20 gauge load in the BPS would be very low recoil, but still plenty effective. You can make almost any shotgun into an effective turkey gun these days, so buy whatever gun you want and then use the appropriate shells for your purpose. Good luck choosing.
'xactly. If you don't want an ultralight gun and don't mind handloading, that is.

Is anyone offering 7/8, 1 and 1-1/4oz loads for 20ga yet?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Re. weight: A person who hunts most days, logging long miles on their feet, after pressured public land birds and has perhaps got a little longer in the tooth will perhaps appreciate a light gun more than others. Up until last year I hunted public land like that almost exclusively. This past year I switched to country club hunting. All my ultralight gear is now unecessary. It is still nice though and will be more so in years to come.

Also, if you haven't seen one yet you don't realize how nice is the gobbler lounger. You will very likely carry one. They weigh and carry like an extra gun. A turkey chair plus an ultralight .410 come out to about the same weight as that old nine pound 3.5" 12ga I used to carry.

The one which, after carrying most days of a season, and then swapping for a six pound 20ga along with lightweight boots, left me feeling like I might float up off the ground. Picture a fella looking tired but sorta walking with a bounce down a logging road in the predawn and picking his feet up a little too high. Think in terms of what it feels like to take your back pack off after a day of climbing mountain trails or taking off a hard hat after wearing it long hours.

I'm only partially joking
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

howl wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 6:31 am
poorcountrypreacher wrote: July 1st, 2019, 1:51 pm The tungsten shells have really increased the options for turkey hunters since you last hunted them. If you want the 20 gauge BPS for purposes other than turkey hunting, you can load your own shells down to whatever level you want. A one ounce 20 gauge load in the BPS would be very low recoil, but still plenty effective. You can make almost any shotgun into an effective turkey gun these days, so buy whatever gun you want and then use the appropriate shells for your purpose. Good luck choosing.
'xactly. If you don't want an ultralight gun and don't mind handloading, that is.

Is anyone offering 7/8, 1 and 1-1/4oz loads for 20ga yet?
Not commercially but the recipes have been out for awhile. Kyle Smith's 1 oz. load and Hal's 1 5/16 oz load are both very good. Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Don't think of handloading as a money saver. Think of it is as offering versatility and extending the season's activities. It's the turkey hunter's equivalence of a fly fisherman's fly tying. Gil
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GLS wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 10:31 am Don't think of handloading as a money saver. Think of it is as offering versatility and extending the season's activities. It's the turkey hunter's equivalence of a fly fisherman's fly tying. Gil
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

exactly!

old dog

Post by old dog »

Yikes! I just saw the price of Federal TSS. Times really have changed. I remember when we waterfowl hunters were forced away from lead. I bought some Bismuth and at a buck a shell, it was shell shock (pun intended). I soon swung to steel and then the blends. I've still a few boxes of older 12 gauge turkey loads but in these times I am no longer sure they will kill turkeys. LOL. That being said, TSS must be one heck of a load if everyone is on board with it.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

old dog wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 1:55 pm Yikes! I just saw the price of Federal TSS. Times really have changed. I remember when we waterfowl hunters were forced away from lead. I bought some Bismuth and at a buck a shell, it was shell shock (pun intended). I soon swung to steel and then the blends. I've still a few boxes of older 12 gauge turkey loads but in these times I am no longer sure they will kill turkeys. LOL. That being said, TSS must be one heck of a load if everyone is on board with it.
Considering how many turkeys you’ll kill compared to ducks and geese it’s not that bad or hurtful on the wallet

Has to be seen in person on how it crushes gobblers. Close and far if desired. But Tss shines in the 20 and below gauges. When you see 410 patterns rivaling or beating the 12ga 3.5” loads from 15 years ago it’s a no brainer. If you want to test some let me know

old dog

Post by old dog »

Not only is your word good enough for me, I'm sold by what I've read here. Next spring I will be carrying TSS shells. I was just a little shocked. lol. In 1973 I bought a new Camaro R/S for 3400 bucks. Now they are ten times that. Granted wages may have gone up but not proportionately, especially since I'm retired. Be it known that when I shoot at something, I want a quick, clean kill. These TSS shells are probably worth every penny.

Thanks, Hoobilly
crow

Post by crow »

Another benefit of hunting with a lightweight gun is that it is a lot easier to hold the gun steady in a ready shooting position for long periods of time without moving.

recoil pads have improved since 2008, check out some of the better ones for your new lightweight gun

Return to “Gun Talk”