O/u guys

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
wingbonehntr

O/u guys

Post by wingbonehntr »

For you guys shooting o/u’s, I’m setting up a Stevens 555 28ga, and was wondering if both chokes need to be same length? I wanted to shoot an extended choke in one barrel for longer shots and a flush full or modified in the other for close shots. Will the extended choke affect the wad or shot column out of the shorter choke? Thanks
decoykrvr

Re: O/u guys

Post by decoykrvr »

No, you will be good to go w/ the two varied chokes w/ the upper barrel the tightest.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

No issues with chokes being of different lengths, but I always shoot the more open tube on top.

I shoot a heavier load in the tight barrel. There is less perceived recoil from the lower barrel of an O/U because the lower barrel recoils straight back into the shoulder with less muzzle flip compared to the upper barrel. That is why all competition shooters set their O/Us up to shoot the bottom barrel first. It is easier to get back on target for the second shot due to the decreased muzzle rise when shooting the bottom barrel first. Also, my O/Us shoot closer to the same POI when the heavier load is shot in the bottom barrel. Most O/Us will throw patterns from the upper barrel higher than the lower. That tendency is exacerbated if you shoot a heavier load in the top barrel.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

It doesn't appear to. You may find the bottom barrel hits several inches lower than the top.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Spuriosity wrote: June 18th, 2019, 7:30 am ... Most O/Us will throw patterns from the upper barrel higher than the lower. That tendency is exacerbated if you shoot a heavier load in the top barrel.
I'll have to try that out.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've always shot the top barrel first due to the ease of reloading and degree that the o/u has to be opened. In the old days w/ fixed chokes, most o/u shotguns had the tighest choke in the top barrel and the more open choke as the bottom barrel. I'm also a fan of double triggers and long ago, after numerous screw-ups on grouse and woodcock w/ the barrel selector locking up and precluding taking off the safety, quit fooling w/ the barrel selector while hunting. Hence my preference for double triggers. The first o/u with which I hunted turkeys w/ was a Beretta -BL4, 3", 30" barrels, w/ a fixed top full and bottom modified. My only modification to the gun was installation of a small mid-bead which, interestingly, greatly aided w/ shooting cripples on the water as well as head shots on turkeys. I also hunted turkeys w/ a Browning A5, 12 gauge, 3", 32" full choked shotgun and a Stevens 10 gauge, choked full w/ 36'' barrels. You had to hunt w/ what was available and there were no short barrel, tightly choked turkey guns.

Return to “Gun Talk”