Hatfield Single Shot .410?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Daryl

Hatfield Single Shot .410?

Post by Daryl »

Anyone know anything about the Hatfield 410? Just saw one and they look like pretty well made guns. Opinions?
Hayudog

Re: Hatfield Single Shot .410?

Post by Hayudog »

Just my opinion. I bought one earlier this year when I couldn't get a Yildiz shipped to me, and the Savage 301 T was like turkey teeth, pretty much unfindable west of the Mississippi.
First shot with the Hatfield, I got a mouse under my eye like I'd been kicked by a rented mule. That was a 2 3/4" bird shot, just to see where it was going to hit. Trigger pull on the Hatfield was over 10 pounds out of the box. I spent a few hours on it, and it's better now... about 6 pounds. Do a search on Hatfield shotgun triggers.

Anyway, I have acquired a Savage 301T. Killed two longbeards with this year. And just back from a quick trip to Texas, and bought a Yildiz .410. No question that the Yildiz is a prettier wood gun. It seems to have better wood to metal, and seems to lock up tight. It has a better trigger out of the box than the Hatfield. My plan is to send the barrel to Sumtoy, have a choke and mount for a red dot done by William. My plan was the same for the Hatfield. I just didn't do it.

So, if you haven't bought it, I'd say look at either the Yildiz, or the Savage 301t.

In the long run, the Savage will be less expensive. Comes camo stock and forearm, comes with an acceptable X-full choke. And guys are using Jebs chokes and getting really good results. It comes with a piccanny rail. It's an exposed hammer gun, like the Hatfield. And I think , ready for a sling. Just saw one advertised for $164.

The Yildiz is a proven platform for the last few years. ( They sell them at Acodomy Sports) Guys were having custom chokes and rolling their own TSS and killin turkey's for a number of years. It's a gun that doesn't have an exposed hammer. Tang type safety. With it you'll need to have a choke installed, and a rail if you want one. Not a lot of fringe with these .410's, so a sight is the norm. I haven't gotten a price on the choke and rail, but it'll be more than the gun, my guess.

Good luck, and have fun
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I had one. Shot good with Sumtoy choke.

Terrible trigger.

I sold it and bought a stoeger double from a member here.
To be honest, I know a guy who’s fixing to have a brand new savage for sale. His supplier just got it shipped to him. I’d go that route or buy the $120 Yildiz on gunbroker.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate your time and experiences.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The weight of the Yildiz is 3 lbs., 3-4 oz., depending on wood. The action is anodized aluminum and the barrel is finished in satin chrome. Both surfaces corrosion resistant. The breech is reinforced with a steel disc set striker. According to spec sheet on the Savage, it's 5 lbs. Anyone weighed it to check? Gil

Return to “Gun Talk”