Rib Mount Reflex sight mounts

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Jstocks

Rib Mount Reflex sight mounts

Post by Jstocks »

Any recommendations for an over under mount on the rib for a ff2 or ff3?
liv2hnt

Re: Rib Mount Reflex sight mounts

Post by liv2hnt »

SumToy.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I second on the Sumtoy. I was in the shop last week and they looked excellent. Gil
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Anybody got a pic of the Sumtoy rail? I saw a Browning Cynergy gun today online that comes with a short rib mount that looked good.
mrclif

Post by mrclif »

I ordered one haven't installed yet but William(sumtoy)sent me this pic when I was ordering. Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Getting my rib drilled and tapped this week for my new Yildiz O/U 20. I bought the same Sumtoy mount. Really looking forward to getting that gun ready for 2020.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

So the rib is tapped from the top for this mount?
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Yes, the base is the same as the base for receiver mounted setups, Sumtoy just cuts a space in the bottom of the base to allow the base to snug down on the rib.

Yule

Post by Yule »

So what are the pros / cons of mount placement? I have not used a FF III type sight, so interested to know if there are advantages to mounting closer ( on receiver ) vs out on the rib? I can see in the pic that this is an O/U, so there is no action. If mounting on a pump or semi, is there a preference? Thanks
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Yule wrote:So what are the pros / cons of mount placement? I have not used a FF III type sight, so interested to know if there are advantages to mounting closer ( on receiver ) vs out on the rib? I can see in the pic that this is an O/U, so there is no action. If mounting on a pump or semi, is there a preference? Thanks
In general, I think most are going to receiver mount if possible. Just doesn't work out that way with an O/U. I personally have one receiver mounted FF3, one speedbead mounted, and when. This O/U comes back, I'll have one rib mounted. Some like the sight close to their eye, and others prefer it further forward. I had my rib mounted base set pretty close to the picture above, but I've seen some mounted further forward bases on shooter preference.

turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I personally like the reflex mounted as close to the eye as possible, the O/U doesn't allow that so the rib mount is about the only option a person has. I really like the SpeedBead mount simply for the fact if your battery would happen to crap itself you can sight right down the rib and use your bead, (actually had this to happen a couple years ago).
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Distance from your eye increased, your field of view will decrease. That’s the only difference I find with mounting closer versus further.

If I was not working on this project for my middle daughter, I’d probably just use the bead on this gun, but I find that kids are more reliable with a dot than a bead.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I have one done as pictured above. I asked for it to be mounted far enough forward that I could carry the gun at the balance point. If you're shooting both eyes open with a reflex style I don't see why it matters where the sight is. Having it forward where you can manipulate the buttons from a firing position can be handy, though. Sometimes that FastFire is way too bright on automatic.

I bedded the mount to the rail due to the groove being a good bit wider than the rib. There's not much to the rib to thread. The mount is pretty much held by one screw while the other has maybe a turn of thread. A screw through the thin part of the rib isn't going to stand much more than 10 inch pounds. Bedding the base to the rib with plastic steel made for a secure mount.

Beware which screw goes where. I had to file a screw head down to be able to mount the red dot without damaging the red dot due to the screw head standing proud of the mount.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

turkeyinstrut wrote: June 5th, 2019, 10:48 am I personally like the reflex mounted as close to the eye as possible, the O/U doesn't allow that so the rib mount is about the only option a person has. I really like the SpeedBead mount simply for the fact if your battery would happen to crap itself you can sight right down the rib and use your bead, (actually had this to happen a couple years ago).
Those sights are made to work well with pistols so a further distance from you eye is not a problem.

I use the RMR from trijicon. Battery can't go dead...just sayin. :D
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

I have four different O/U's, and every one of them has the FF3 mounted like the .410 in this pic. Don't know why anyone would say they can't be mounted there. :dontknow:
8E4D7E19-637B-4953-A379-6455A352499B.jpeg
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Sumtoy did some machining on the receiver of my Yildiz sxs so that he could make a 336 mount sit level. He then drilled and tapped 2 holes to attach it. It's a dedicated turkey gun, so it doesn't matter that a permanent change has been made to it. This makes it possible to get the FF3 all the way back on the monoblock.
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

Shame there’s not an “over the counter” rib mount for a FF akin to the mount for Aimpoint’s s-1 micro. Aimpoint is the ticket if you got $700 laying around.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

BumbleFoot wrote: June 7th, 2019, 2:21 pm Shame there’s not an “over the counter” rib mount for a FF akin to the mount for Aimpoint’s s-1 micro. Aimpoint is the ticket if you got $700 laying around.
Aimpoint used Aimtech's Rib Rider before developing their dedicated sight. JP Rifles also has some rib mounts. The Rib Rider is solid on a Mossberg pump. The other I haven't tried.

Return to “Gun Talk”