Burris Fastfire III

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Verite

Burris Fastfire III

Post by Verite »

I have a Nelson Custom on a Kimber frame. I recently bought the flat top rail so I could mount a red-dot sight.

The red-dot I purchased was an inexpensive, fragile affair that lasted just long enough to teach me a few things. As I bought it mainly as a proof-of-concept item, I do not mourn its passing. Here is what I learned.

1) I do like the micro-compact reflex style on a pistol vs. the tube-type.
2) I don't like having to remove the sight to change the battery.
3) I don't like having to back off locking screws before making adjustments.
4) I don't like having to remember to re-tighten those locking screws before shooting again.
5) I would like a button vs. a switch to power on.
6) I don't like the huge knob on the side of the picatinny mount.

I started looking around. The Leupold is crazy money as are several of the other makers. Has anyone tried the Burris Fastfire III? It seems to be well thought out and of high quality without being outrageously expensive. It's still a fair bit of coin so I'd like to hear from some actual users.
Jstocks

Re: Burris Fastfire III

Post by Jstocks »

It’s a good quality sight. I have both the ff2 and the ff3, as well as a vortex venom. All 3 good sights. Ff2 has bottom battery access so looks like it’s out.
jryser

Post by jryser »

Vortex Venom is my fave, and I have all of the above. FF2 got sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

The FF2 with locking screws makes it fool proof

I wish the FF3 had the locking screws

Venoms shifted the dots on me. Never again. Burris for me
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

Have had my FF3 for two years and love it
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Been running an FF II since '06 and an FF III since 2012. Just dropped my turkey gun about a week ago. It landed on the frame of the FFIII and bent it. Shot the gun which shot 32" low @ 40 from previous zero. Ran out of up adjustment and it was still 11" low. Called Burris about repair. Told them I did it and it wasn't under warranty (paperwork I had from 2012 said One Year Warranty). The guy said,"It's under warranty - all Burris optics are now warrantied for life." Said to send it in. I love the sight. It only weighs an ounce. The auto brightness works great. Batteries last forever. No need to remove to change the battery. Has always held zero until I dropped it on the pavement and busted it. Great customer service. What's not to like?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I ran an Aimpoint military grade red dot on my SBE and got rid of it when I traded my SBE for another gun. I ran Trijicon Reflexes on my Super Bantam and 835. Reliable, but heavy. When I switched over to single-shots in 2012, all have been equipped with the FFIII. I've had built 6 single-shots, all but one have an FFIII. Three of my buddies have them on the guns I had built. They love it. I once cross-threaded the battery cover and it was replaced immediately with no questions asked after I told Burris what happened. Lose a cover? One will be on the way no charge. I agree with Spur. What's not to like? Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Got a couple. One gun fell on the sight and bent the hood a little. It held zero. I don't like the tinted glass or quality of, but it is good enough. With discounts, rebates, etc. neither of the ones I have cost over $100. There's probably better, but not for the money when they run deals on them all the time.

Return to “Gun Talk”