Too Tight

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
fisherxp

Too Tight

Post by fisherxp »

Sometimes "too tight" is a good thing, but I'm convinced that is not the case with my turkey gun. For several seasons I've been striving to tighten up the pattern of my 835 with the use of heavy shot and various tubes, and I finally have a killing machine at 50 yards. However, this past season I commenced to miss three separate toms at 20 yards, so am presently trying to put things back the way they were when I never missed a bird. This situation reminds me of an old adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" And another: "stupid is as stupid does". I realize that several ammo makers market shells with combinations of shot that are supposed to be effective at all ranges turkeys are typically shot. Guess I should have tried this...but does it work?? I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks guys.
Fatmo

Re: Too Tight

Post by Fatmo »

835 50yard gun!!! Are you shooting 3.5 or just 3"? Drop your bead down on the neck at 20. TSS seems to help that for some reason. I have a great pattern at 20 and 140s in a 10"at 60yards. TSS helped all my guns patterns, it turned my 20 gauges into 50 yard killers. I don't shoot that far but if I make a FU on the judgement it is there. As far as the varied federal load, "why not put your full turkey load where you want it" 1/3 short-1/3 mid-1/3long It works as designed, BUT!!! I'll spend my money on TSS or the best load I can.
Jrmcc

Post by Jrmcc »

I don't think your problem is the lack of duplex shot. I think the problem is the Indian more so than the bow.

But I can think of 3 solutions
1.) A red dot lined up with a red head usual end up with a dead bird.
2.) Open up your choke, what you give up at 50 you will gain at 20.
3.) It's a scatter gun learn to shoot it and where it hits with the bead. The actual poi may surprise you with a tight choke and go unnoticed shooting rabbits/squirrels on the run with a modified.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Always liked the old lead only factory choke and a couple ounceasing of sixes with those. It's hard to miss with and will make one flop at 50 in all conditions.

The gun probably does not shoot exactly to poa.
fisherxp

Post by fisherxp »

Thanks guys for your helpful comments. JRMCC made a good point too. At 87 years of age my senses are indeed deteriorating. But, I hate to give it up; I'd truly miss the thrill of the hunt and would have a difficult time adjusting to store-bought burger in place of venison and wild turkey breasts. So, my plan is to open up the choke on my 835, shoot close and take it a season at a time. Hope you guys have an enjoyable and productive turkey season.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

A duplex load is not only a compromise on the best features of the different shot sizes, but also the worst features. For the larger shot, you give up pattern density. For the lighter shot, you give up penetration. If you are shooting TSS, 9's are the best way to go for both density and penetration at the distances you want. It's great that you want to keep on keeping on. When I grow up I want to be like you. :) Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Wow! 87 and still turkey hunting! It's extremely unlikely that I will live to be 87, much less still be turkey hunting at that age, but at 65 I've had to make a lot of changes to my setup to avoid missing turkeys.

Changes in my eyesight have made it difficult for me to make consistent shots. I addressed it by putting a Burris FF3 on my gun, and by switching to a sxs with one barrel using an open choke for close shots. I also switched to a 20 gauge gun and #9 TSS; it's much lighter than my 12 and that means it's easier to carry and easier to hold in the ready position.

If you are willing to spend some money, I would swap out the 835 for a 20 gauge of some type and use an open choke and TSS #9. I'm not sure that you can make it a 50 yd gun with a forgiving pattern, but I do think you could make it a 40 yd gun and still have a wide pattern at 25.

I'd forget about trying to have a pattern with 300 hits in the 10" at 40, and strive for one that produces 100 hits. That is plenty to kill the turkey every time, and it means that all the other shot are making you a wider pattern that is more forgiving of aiming error. The choke you need to produce such a pattern will vary greatly with the gun. On guns with chrome lined barrels I think you might need just a cylinder choke to get such results.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

87, same age as my youngest son but he don't hunt turkeys. :dontknow:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grumpy wrote: March 14th, 2019, 12:45 pm 87, same age as my youngest son but he don't hunt turkeys. :dontknow:
here I thought you were about 24 and just acting old :shock:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: March 14th, 2019, 11:02 am
I'd forget about trying to have a pattern with 300 hits in the 10" at 40, and strive for one that produces 100 hits. That is plenty to kill the turkey every time, and it means that all the other shot are making you a wider pattern that is more forgiving of aiming error. The choke you need to produce such a pattern will vary greatly with the gun. On guns with chrome lined barrels I think you might need just a cylinder choke to get such results.
I agree with the light gun being helpful. My 12 ga Beretta 686 UL comes in at 6 pounds. With just 1.25 oz of mixed (reclaimed) 9s x 8.5s, I get 110/10 at 40 with a wide, forgiving pattern in close with a light mod tube. With 1.625 oz of shot (typical 20 ga load), you could probably open up the choke even more.That's the load I shoot for the long stuff with a tight choke. The FF III is a great suggestion as well. I have no interest in shooting TSS without one.
Jrmcc

Post by Jrmcc »

Light gun, red dot, and a more open choke should get you back on track. I'm near sighted and the three dot fiber optic sights everybody uses on turkey guns just didn't work for me. I got the red dot and can focus and see everything clear again and center pattern hits were I want it to.
fisherxp

Post by fisherxp »

More good suggestions....thanks again guys. I'm getting ready to pattern my new set up and looking forward to opening day.

Return to “Gun Talk”