Cheap red dot options

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
kythunter

Cheap red dot options

Post by kythunter »

Looking for a decent red dot for $100 or less. It will be going on a new Stevens .410.
Leaning towards Bushnell TRS25 or a Mueller quick shot.
My concern with the Bushnell is the front lens is red and may spoon a gobbler. Anybody using the TRS25 have any issues?
Already have a Vortex Venom on an 870 just don't want to spend more on a sight than I spend on the gun.
WAGinVA

Re: Cheap red dot options

Post by WAGinVA »

FF3
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I put a sightmark mini on my yildiz. It’s held up so far.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Buy an FF2

Cheap sight equal cheap results. I had a truglo that was terrible about moving. Quickly got rid of it.
I saw ff2's recently for as cheap as $120 new.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I just traded for a new meprolite. I got 125 in it
El Sicario
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Took my TRS25 off my gun for the very reason you stated. I'm certain it cost me shots on two different birds last season.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

kythunter wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:20 pm Looking for a decent red dot for $100 or less. It will be going on a new Stevens .410.
My concern with the Bushnell is the front lens is red and may spoon a gobbler. Anybody using the TRS25 have any issues?
Already have a Vortex Venom on an 870 just don't want to spend more on a sight than I spend on the gun.
I've been shooting the TRS-25 since it came out on my turkey guns.

Last year it was on a Stevens 555 .410 and this year it's on a Stevens 555 28.

The same one the whole time, never had a failure, just moved it from one gun to the next as I changed guns.

When I first got it, I used to worry as you and held my hand in front of it until I shot, haha. I soon quit doing that. I have never had one get wise or flare. I have had them walk straight up to me and shot them at two steps.

I always worried more about the battery going dead on me during a hunt. I even carried a spare battery. One year after the season I turned it on "3" and left it on in my gun safe to see what it did. After 8 weeks it was still running. Now I just change the battery before the season and don't worry about it.

IMHO it's not an issue on Eastern's here in Alabama, your mileage may vary.
Last edited by duurmeehr on February 24th, 2019, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
fnsup

Post by fnsup »

Amazon currently has the 3 MOA Burris FF3 with Picatinny Mount marked down to $179. Not sure how long it will remain at this price, but worth considering.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-300234-Fa ... pons&psc=1
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Have heard the Bushnell is good. Seen them work long enough I might try one.

The Mueller broke on me before I even shot it.

Burris is giving free FastFire III on rebate if you buy an AR332 from them. IF you can sell the AR332 without taking a huge loss you get a big discount on the Fast Fire.

The last one I got came with a Burris MTAC scope I wanted. Buying the combo, that came with the scope mount and Fast Fire, was $80 more than just the plain scope.

Point is Burris lets those Fast Fire IIIs go cheap. Also, the warranty is good. I ruined one by mounting it with a screw standing proud of the mount. Burris returned a new one in the box, no questions asked. (Fortunately I recognized the problem and filed the screw head down before ruining a second one.)
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

DVOR.com has the vortex venoms for $175 right now as well.
KyScott

Post by KyScott »

I’ve had a Meuller quickshot on my 870 Max Gobbler for years and it has held up well. There are a lot of good options out there less than $200. I picked up a Swampfox Kingslayer the other day for $129 with their Presidents’ Day sale to put on my wife’s 870 build. I am very impressed with the quality that went into biulding it. I’ve already tested the auto shut off and it works as advertised. Very nice crisp 3 Mia dot and it comes on as soon as you touch the up button with no delay. It has a 50,000 round replace or repair warranty and 30 day return money back guarantee. Great YouTube review below with Daily Shooter plus you can get 20% off by using coupon code DAILYSHOOTER.

https://youtu.be/sFFCYtYF1wE

https://swampfoxoptics.com/kingslayer/
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Thanks for the feedback men, lots of good options. I was reluctant to us the word "cheap" because I don't want a cheaply built sight I guess inexpensive is a better word.
I'm probably thinking too much about the front red lens on the TRS25, but many red dots have them and many a gobbler has been killed using them. Do they spook all gobblers no way, but they may spook one every now and then. I'd say movement of any kind spooks a gobbler and it's blamed on the sight.
Not going to hunt with the .410 much so leaning towards TRS25. For the money it seems like a solid waterproof sight according to the specs and reviews.
The swampfox looks interesting. If I hadn't bought the vortex venom already for the 870 I'd consider it.
blueridgegobbler

Post by blueridgegobbler »

Check out the AT3 tactical RD50. I just ordered one $65 today only through their website if you use the promo code. It has a lifetime warranty. Mine should be here in a day or so.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Some will laugh, I have had a 40 mm Tru glo on my 20 since 06. Have no clue how many birds it's killed between sal, I, friends clients. How many patterning rounds it's taken all on a b square. I've crawled this thing for miles through 15 states. I've thrown it after misses still on. Maybe I got a gem.

In all those time I've lost zero, I brought 2 shells one day. I body shot a bird, it's flopping. Walk up blow a hole in dirt now screwed. I put the full Rodney King beatdown on it with stock.

Like I said some may laugh as it's all cheap, but dad gum it's never failed, I fail it.

Thought of Burris and vortex but happy.
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

Whittaker guns has the Weaver micro dot sight 4 moa MPN# 849255 on their website for $40 might be worth checking out. whittakerguns.com or 270-229-0140.
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
Muzzy61

Post by Muzzy61 »

duurmeehr wrote: February 24th, 2019, 5:40 am
kythunter wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:20 pm Looking for a decent red dot for $100 or less. It will be going on a new Stevens .410.
I've been shooting the TRS-25 since it came out on my turkey guns.

Last year it was on a Stevens 555 .410 and this year it's on a Stevens 555 28.

The same one the whole time, never had a failure, just moved it from one gun to the next as I changed guns.

When I first got it, I used to worry as you and held my hand in front of it until I shot, haha. I soon quit doing that. I have never had one get wise or flare. I have had them walk straight up to me and shot them at two steps.

I always worried more about the battery going dead on me during a hunt. I even carried a spare battery. One year after the season I turned it on "3" and left it on in my gun safe to see what it did. After 8 weeks it was still running. Now I just change the battery before the season and don't worry about it.

IMHO it's not an issue on Eastern's here in Alabama, your mileage may vary.
My experience has been the same as duurmeehr
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Went with the AT3 Tactical RD-50. It has great reviews and is an extremely tough little sight with a great warranty and specs.
Guess I'll find out for myself how gobblers react to the front red lens.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

I went the cheap route and then the “best value” route before I finally learned not to screw around with sights. I don’t even want to get into the heart ache.

Buy the best optic you can buy. Fastfires seem to be a really good turkey Reddot touted by a lot of people.
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

SwampDrummin wrote: February 26th, 2019, 6:46 pm I went the cheap route and then the “best value” route before I finally learned not to screw around with sights. I don’t even want to get into the heart ache.

Buy the best optic you can buy.
This. Hard lesson to learn, but I have a lot of experience in the subject. Never go cheap on optics. If you use your equipment heavily, it is not a matter of 'if' but 'when'.
blueridgegobbler

Post by blueridgegobbler »

just mounted the AT3 RD50 on my 301 410, mounts solid and has a bright crisp dot and has a lifetime transferable warranty. Field of view may be a little small but they seem to be a great company. The cheap on optics is a weird thing ive had to send back Leupold Vari x 3's and they bought as good as they get.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

blueridgegobbler wrote: March 1st, 2019, 1:06 pm just mounted the AT3 RD50 on my 301 410, mounts solid and has a bright crisp dot and has a lifetime transferable warranty. Field of view may be a little small but they seem to be a great company. The cheap on optics is a weird thing ive had to send back Leupold Vari x 3's and they bought as good as they get.
Same here mounted the AT3 RD50 last night. Sight is smaller than I imagined and the front red lens isn't as bright as the pictures. Seems like a solid sight. 2MOA is perfect.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

kythunter wrote: March 1st, 2019, 1:24 pm
blueridgegobbler wrote: March 1st, 2019, 1:06 pm just mounted the AT3 RD50 on my 301 410, mounts solid and has a bright crisp dot and has a lifetime transferable warranty. Field of view may be a little small but they seem to be a great company. The cheap on optics is a weird thing ive had to send back Leupold Vari x 3's and they bought as good as they get.
Same here mounted the AT3 RD50 last night. Sight is smaller than I imagined and the front red lens isn't as bright as the pictures. Seems like a solid sight. 2MOA is perfect.
Do you guys think this RD50 would work with a rib rider mount, or is the sight too small to be that far away, needing to be above the receiver?
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

If you spoon a gobbler, you will likely get spurred.
Ultimate Predator
duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

MKW wrote: March 2nd, 2019, 11:27 am If you spoon a gobbler, you will likely get spurred.
I usually get a friend to hold the head and feet.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Follow up review of the ATR Tactical RD50.
The sight zeroed in perfectly on my Stevens 301 .410.
Hunted with it in Kentucky and the sight performed great, no issues.
I have a Vortex Venom on an 870 20 gauge and I honestly like the RD50 better.
The sight window is fine and I really like the large rotating knob that you have to manually turn to the desired brightness.
The brightness numbering is large and easy to read. It's just a rugged little sight that performs as needed.
AT3 Tactical customer service is top notch as well.

Return to “Gun Talk”