ShurShot Stock question

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
alphamaxinitout

ShurShot Stock question

Post by alphamaxinitout »

Last year I bought a Boyd’s thumbhole stock for my 1187. Didn’t really think it through because it made the gun HEAVY. So, I’m looking at the ShurShot. I saw a review somewhere that said that it would make it impossible to use your bead on the vent rib. I don’t really see that being an issue, but I want to see if anyone had had such a problem.

If it DOES make the bead unusable, what suggestions do y’all have for a thumbhole stock that will allow me to use the bead? Also, is it a nice enough stock to maybe get raised sights to offset the height difference? Trying to narrow down which I’m going to buy before I have the gun cerakoted.

Thanks!
Skimerhorn

Re: ShurShot Stock question

Post by Skimerhorn »

I got one for my 870 and it made it very unnatural to use the bead. I had planned on red dot anyway. I think you could use it with a lot of practice, but I would be hesitant to
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I put one on an 870 last year, but already had planned to install a Vortex Venom also. I attempted to sight down the barrel before the install of the Venom, but found it to be really awkward as mentioned above. I had to really put some effort into lining up the double beads.
FloppinTom

Post by FloppinTom »

Shurshot holds my head up too high I can't get down on the gun tight enough to use the bead comfortably on my 870 express 16 ga.
Get there early, stay late, sit still and don't use weather as an excuse to stay home.
LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

I have a shur shot for my 870 and it’s very comfortable but I agree it keeps your head up a little high. I have a ff3 on mine though it’s perfect if you want to go that route
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

If your gonna use the bead the shurshot isn’t for you.

Rifle sights or a red dot works
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
alphamaxinitout

Wow. Seems pretty unanimous. I like the ShurShot but hoped to use my bead to keep things simple. I have been toying around with the idea of a red dot. That may just push me over the edge to go through with it.

Thanks for the information, y’all.

Is anyone else using a different brand/style pistol grip stock on an 870/1187/1100?
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I've only got one season with it, but I have not regretted the change.

Justin W

Post by Justin W »

I put a set of try glo gobble dot sights on mine 870 20 gauge compact. Works perfect but I did have to modify the front sights to match poa with poi.
alphamaxinitout

Well, upon getting the responses, I think I’ll go for it. Was halfway debating having the receiver drilled/tapped for a rail. AND been looking for a reason to buy a SIG Romeo red dot. Turkey gun is about to be taken up a few notches.

Thanks for the reply’s, y’all!
chipper

Post by chipper »

You won't regret it, I wish I would have went to a red dot 20 years ago, finally went to one 3 hears ago and absolutely love it.
alphamaxinitout

chipper wrote: February 12th, 2019, 9:21 am You won't regret it, I wish I would have went to a red dot 20 years ago, finally went to one 3 hears ago and absolutely love it.
I’ve avoided it for years. I was trying to keep things as simple as possible. As I’ve gained more knowledge of hunting birds. I’ve learned I need more patience in the spot I’m in more than I need to “run and gun”. So, I’m thinking about some new stuff and red dots have come a good ways since I originally started thinking about it. They seem to be more robust. So, holding zero shouldn’t be toooooooo much of a concern. I think I’m going to do it. Spoke with a gentlemen that owns a custom shop here in town that said he’d have zero problems drilling/tapping my reciever for less than $100. I’m anxious to get it done now and get to shooting!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

alphamaxinitout wrote: February 11th, 2019, 7:44 pm Well, upon getting the responses, I think I’ll go for it. Was halfway debating having the receiver drilled/tapped for a rail. AND been looking for a reason to buy a SIG Romeo red dot. Turkey gun is about to be taken up a few notches.

Which Sig Model you looking at?
Mike
alphamaxinitout

ncturkey wrote: February 12th, 2019, 11:21 am
alphamaxinitout wrote: February 11th, 2019, 7:44 pm Well, upon getting the responses, I think I’ll go for it. Was halfway debating having the receiver drilled/tapped for a rail. AND been looking for a reason to buy a SIG Romeo red dot. Turkey gun is about to be taken up a few notches.

Which Sig Model you looking at?
Was looking at the Romeo 5
chipper

Post by chipper »

alphamaxinitout wrote: February 12th, 2019, 9:40 am
chipper wrote: February 12th, 2019, 9:21 am You won't regret it, I wish I would have went to a red dot 20 years ago, finally went to one 3 hears ago and absolutely love it.
I’ve avoided it for years. I was trying to keep things as simple as possible. As I’ve gained more knowledge of hunting birds. I’ve learned I need more patience in the spot I’m in more than I need to “run and gun”. So, I’m thinking about some new stuff and red dots have come a good ways since I originally started thinking about it. They seem to be more robust. So, holding zero shouldn’t be toooooooo much of a concern. I think I’m going to do it. Spoke with a gentlemen that owns a custom shop here in town that said he’d have zero problems drilling/tapping my reciever for less than $100. I’m anxious to get it done now and get to shooting!
I was worried about the ruggedness of a red dot when I first went to one, I bought a Bushnell TRS 25 and sighted in and everything was holding up good. It was mounted to a Aimtech saddle mount , I hunted the 1st year with it and it held zero, after the season I broke down and spent the money on a Aimpoint H1 and had it drilled and tapped and haven't had to worry since. FWIW, that Bushnell has been on my son's 870 with the saddle mount for 2 years with no problems . The red dot has made it so much easier on me because of aging eyes and having to wear bifocals or multi focal contacts . I was having trouble focusing on a rear sight for proper alignment and missed a good bird because of it, especially in the dimly lit woods.
Swamp Hunter

Post by Swamp Hunter »

Like others have said, it's nearly impossible to shoot the bead with the ShurShot stock. Even with rifle sights mine will still slap the snot out of your cheekbone. It's perfect for a Fastfire, red dot, or scope though.
MeadowCreekMounts

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

I had to hold my head sideways to try and use mine. Missed a bird, went home and drilled and tapped it that afternoon.
alphamaxinitout

Was offered an EOTech at a pretty great price from a buddy at work! Now I’m super excited!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Hobbes wrote: February 11th, 2019, 8:53 am I've only got one season with it, but I have not regretted the change.

Do you have to hold your head up to see the red dot?
Mike
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Hobbes wrote: February 11th, 2019, 8:53 am I've only got one season with it, but I have not regretted the change.

Where did you get the mount?
Mike
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I believe I got the saddle from Sun Optics USA. I do not have to raise my head. The sure shot stock positions your head higher, too high for me to comfortably use the factory beads.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

My 870 shot low poi from factory. It required me holding on his head to center pattern on the outstretched neck. When I installed my SureShot it got real low😩. Now I’ve got a set of the tru-glo’s and a session at the range has me dead on! I really like my SureShot and I believe it helps mitigate the recoil as well. My only concern is the durability of the new (tru glo) as opposed to the pretty rugged beads it had- I find myself somewhat crazy trying to be sure it’s not being “ bumped off”....
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Gun Talk”