Thin wall Tru-Choke and TSS?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Jamey

Thin wall Tru-Choke and TSS?

Post by Jamey »

I have an old wingmaster 28 that I would like to turn into my go-to turkey killer. It had a fixed modified barrel and didn't pattern TSS 9 as good as I would like so after making several calls to different gunsmiths, I had Mike Orlean thread it for Tru-Choke.

I ordered an extended extra full from Trulock and it says "lead only" and looks quite thin so my question is does anyone here have any experience shooting TSS through one of these chokes? The flush mount full choke that I got from Mike also says "lead only". I don't really care if the choke sustains a little damage over time because it is replaceable as needed but there doesn't seem to be much meat in the barrel either so hence my concern.

Am I gonna damage the barrel if I shoot TSS? My thoughts are that it will not due to the small size shot and type of wads used but ...?
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Thin wall Tru-Choke and TSS?

Post by Turkinator »

I have thin wall tru chokes in a double 12ga and have shot tss through them with no damage. Mine are not extended just flush full.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Don’t shoot large Tss shot and don’t shoot huge payloads and you should be fine
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Shoot a few through it, and then see how it screws out. If it got tight, then, no go.
I have a 20 with Slim Lines in it. Seems to be fine, and they are the thinnest.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

Shooter wrote: January 31st, 2019, 2:05 am Shoot a few through it, and then see how it screws out. If it got tight, then, no go.
I have a 20 with Slim Lines in it. Seems to be fine, and they are the thinnest.
What this smart may said.

I have found on the thin chokes that if it is going to swell it will do it with lead, htl or tss. It more the amount of the load and in some the speed of the load that does if not the shot. Now if you run big stuff the size come into play.
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Agree 100 percent with shooting 3 shots or so and seeing how the choke screws out. Like Tommy said, if it is tightening up, leave it alone and do not shoot anymore.

However, I bet you wont have any issues as long as you stay with the small shot sizes that flow well through the chokes. 9s, 9.5s, etc. Also, dont shoot the heavy payloads. I would probably ask Hal for his 1 5/16 ounce load if you dont have it and be happy. Good luck.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Thanks all.
I've got both the 1-1/8 and the 1-5/16 recipes from Hal. Gonna load 9 or 9.5 in them and try both to see if the choke handles them and which patterns best for me. Neither patterned as well as I wanted with the factory mod choke.
William, I was gonna ask you about this at Unicoi but you didn't show up...
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I have a 10 ga single barrel that I had Mike Orlen thread with Tru Choke threads. I then had Sumtoy make me a .685 choke for it, but the way the choke tube is made about 80% of the choke is extended past the end of the barrel. Appears to me that most of the constricting is occurring after the shot passes the threads and end of barrel so that the choke is taking the punishment and not the barrel. I am shooting 2.5 oz of TSS through it with no problems after 25-30 shots of TSS and Federal Heavyweight.

Return to “Gun Talk”