NEF pardnar shotgun

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Longspurs

NEF pardnar shotgun

Post by Longspurs »

I have a NEF singleshot 12 gauge fixed modified choke. Anyone know of a gunsmith that could thread the barell for choke tubes, ideally without cutting any length from barell I'll probably shoot TSS #9s and would prefer a flush fit choke tube. Not sure if the NEF barrels are thick enough for choke installs maybe someone has experience with this
Sloppy_Snood

Re: NEF pardnar shotgun

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Pretty simple: buy a caliper and measure the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle. Then measure the wall thickness of the barrel at the muzzle.

Once you have your measurements, you can evaluate what choke system is possible for installation on your barrel.

General O.D. Measurements will tell you much.

12 gauge RemChoke choke tube threading requires minimum 0.855" barrel o.d. at the muzzle

12 gauge standard Invector, Accu-Choke, Win Choke choke tube threading (different names for the identical threading) requires minimum 0.845" barrel o.d. at the muzzle

12 gauge Tru Choke threading requires minimum 0.825" barrel o.d. at the muzzle

12 gauge Briley Thin Wall and Invector Plus choke tubes require an even larger barrel o.d. but in all honesty, barrels need to be measured on an individual basis (note: most barrels (that were not originally Invector Plus threaded barrels) CANNOT be threaded for Invector Plus chokes due to too small of an o.d. This roughly translates to: "Hey Bobby!... there ain't enough 'meat' on this barrel to thread it...")

Prices vary by gunsmithing company but they range from $50 to $200 per barrel (just threading the barrel; choke tubes are generally additional charges).

Recommendations? (in no particular order)

Ithaca Gunworks (world class gunsmith Denny Tubbs)
Briley Manufacturing
Colonial Arms
TruLock Chokes
Johnny's Shotgun Chokes & Forcing Cones

Call any of these service providers and they most likely can tell you whether or not your particular NEF is a candidate for screw in choke tube installation and what choke threading system options you have. I suggest you speak to a gunsmith at Briley. They are always helpful in my experiences.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Longspurs

Re: NEF pardnar shotgun

Post by Longspurs »

Thanks

Return to “Gun Talk”