Going deaf from shooting

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Going deaf from shooting

Post by howl »

Turkeys are the only thing I shoot at without some kind of hearing protection. Also, they didn't talk about it, but one of the ways you lose hearing from shooting is vibration from the gun stock. That's why the loss in my left ear is greater than the right, even though my right ear is pointed more toward the muzzle.

The idea that you can forget sounds and lose the ability to hear them that way was new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7usSqqqWUE
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

!

Post by howl »

And apologies for making your ears ring by posting this. That is one sound I'd like to forget!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Going deaf from shooting

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Waterfowl has killed me hearing, I refuse to wear hearing protection it screws with my calling and can't hear distant birds.

It happens all the time and where all guilty shooting over the guy next to you. You wanna be pissed, then next morning you do to someone else
coconut

Post by coconut »

I have thought about getting some custom ear plugs but the good ones look crazy expensive. Have tried most of the cheap ones and found them to be junk. Even bought a suppressed rifle. Soon as you lower the bullet beyond speed of sound the thing rainbows bullets. Ears still rang with suppressor. I think it has to do with pressure and sound.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Running high rpm hydraulic heavy equipment has helped to my hearings demise. plus all of the stupid shooting I have done . Not just from duck hunting, doves, rifle shooting. But the rapid fire I just burned through 20 round mag for nothing kinda shooting. I don't do that crap no more.. well maybe with LR 22 when the family's together for the 4th :usa:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

howl wrote: August 1st, 2018, 4:18 pm The idea that you can forget sounds and lose the ability to hear them that way was new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7usSqqqWUE
same here
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

My hearing damage is from lots of shooting and too much rock & roll at 11 volume level. Been a fun ride, but losing the ability to hear clearly sucks.

Jim
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

My hearing graph is exactly like that guy's; it goes straight down when it hits high sounds. I don't hear anything but the key striking on the first 7 notes on a piano on the right side. I can hear all of the left side normally.

I think a lot of my loss is just hereditary; every man in my family on both sides has the same issue. I have worn hearing protection when shooting since I was a teenager, but it hasn't helped at all. I don't wear hearing protection when turkey hunting, but that's the only time I shoot without it.

A turkey gobble must be a low pitch sound, as I can still hear them ok. Understanding a woman with a high voice is extremely difficult for me. I spend a lot of time nodding my head when talking to a woman in a crowd of people, having no idea what she is saying. No telling what I might have agreed to over the years.

My Dr has been pushing me to get hearing aids for years, but as long as I can hear gobbling and drumming I am not gonna worry about it. I gave up understanding women long ago, so no reason to waste money on that. I'll just keep nodding and smiling. :)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

What, what'd he say
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation