What turkey gun?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Fizz

What turkey gun?

Post by Fizz »

In the market for a new turkey gun. Probably 20 gauge.
Sold my 3,5 auto gold a few years ago. I dont think there's a need to carry 3.5" anymore.
Guns I'm thinking about are Benelli m2 20g, Winchester spx 3 20g. I like the pistol grip. I dont like the cantilever on the longbeards version.
In 12 gauge I like the Benelli Vinci with a pistol grip.
Is there any advantage with a 3" 12 over a 3" 20 other then pellet count?
What are the thoughts out there.
taylorjones20

Re: What turkey gun?

Post by taylorjones20 »

20ga M2
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

12 gauge vs 20 gauge is a common discussion as well as 28 gauge and .410. Bottom line is, if you shoot TSS, they are all deadly and can be effective with smaller loads than with conventional lead or HTL. There are small 12 gauge loads the same size as 20 gauge loads and some like them because the loads are simpler. You see amazing patterns out of every gauge, so you need to go with what you are comfortable with. I loaded 2 3/4" shells for both 12 and 20 this year. I planned to kill several turkeys with each, but my season didn't work that way. I opted for smaller loads for lighter recoil and lower cost. I'm convinced both can be effective 60 yard guns if you want that. I did kill one bird with both guns and they both did what they were supposed to do, but both kills were 30 yards or less, so any lead load would have done fine.

I say all that to say, I like both 12 and 20. I toyed with the idea of getting a 28, but think the next ime I buy a gun for myself, it will be another 20 gauge. I will likely buy a .410 or 28 gauge for the kids, but I feel 20 gauges are more consistent and don't require a lot of special attention that the smaller gauges would. The 12 would fit the same bill, but weighs just a bit more and kicks a little more in most cases. You will be happy with either.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I bought a 12 gauge SX3 last year on Gunbroker for $600 and love it. I checked then and now for a 20 gauge SX3. There don't ever seem to be deals on the 20 gauges. I like the SX3 over the Benelli because I like gas guns. I've experienced noticably lower recoil in gas guns than recoil operated guns. The 20 gauge I have now, I bought for my kids. It is a Stoeger, so a cheaper version of the Benelli. It patterns fine, and since it is a 20, doesn't kick bad. We also have a Beretta 20 Gauge gas gun the kicks considerably less. It's more of a bird gun than a turkey gun at this point though because it is so pretty. If I were you, I'd get the Winchester in 12 or 20.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I own a m2 20 and a win x3 20 both are very good guns in my opinion. Both killed birds this year. If I was to chose a new gun just for turkey hunting it would be 20ga over the 12ga. 20ga shells cost less, the 20ga kills further than I need it too, 20ga is lighter to carry.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Fizz wrote: June 6th, 2018, 1:54 pm Is there any advantage with a 3" 12 over a 3" 20 other then pellet count?
pellet count mostly
jhogue wrote: June 6th, 2018, 2:55 pm 12 gauge vs 20 gauge is a common discussion
lots of opinions on this and many like a 20 over a 12.
This of course is based on shooting TSS. Really TSS in a 20ga is plenty.
I normally shoot a 12ga and just bought my first 20ga. I'm still not in love with the 20 and lean towards a 12ga 3" 2oz TSS. The recoil of my 870 20 isn't much better than my gas operated 12ga auto.
Go with the gun that feels best to you regardless of gauge.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I have used both. Both will kill to extreme ranges and both can be choked to give nice forgiving hunting patterns or to get laser like patterns.
For twenties I would look into the Sa20 turkey. Thing is compact, light, and in my experience shoots straight. Also comes drilled and tapped with a rail. Also save you big money over the Benelli, Franchi, Winchester, etc. Use all the extra dough for tss.
Fizz

Post by Fizz »

Like I said earlier had a 3.5 " 12. 4-5 years ago bought a 20 franchi affinity compact for my girls to use. Shot my last 6 birds with it using federal heavyweights 7. Shoots great. I dont like and never did the like the reach for the triggers on franchi's. Other then that I like the gun.
I'm leaning towards a Benelli m2 20. We'll see, thanks for the input!
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

taylorjones20 wrote: June 6th, 2018, 2:25 pm20ga M2
Love mine
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Pistol grip. I will have a hard time ever using a turkey gun without a pistol grip again. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s not the bomb.
Fizz

Post by Fizz »

SwampDrummin wrote: June 6th, 2018, 11:43 pm Pistol grip. I will have a hard time ever using a turkey gun without a pistol grip again. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s not the bomb.
Yeah the ones with pistol grip that I handled just seem like you can really get in on the gun really well.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

For lead - 12 ga. For TSS - 20ga due to lower weight. A 20 with TSS will outshoot any 12 with lead.

I'm partial to gas operated guns for recoil.

If you choose a 20, I would look at the Weatherby SA-08 if you like a conventional grip or the SA-459 if you like a pistol grip.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Another vote for the M2, they are a little pricey but well worth the money.
boone5252

Post by boone5252 »

To broaden the discussion a little, guns are like women. We all have our different attractions for different "brands and models". And there is one out there for everyone to be pleased with. My advice if you want a new gun, go to the big gun shops and handle as many as you can and pick the one that feels right in your hands. Years ago, I would have said go to gun shows to see in person different brands but the gun shows now are half "black rifles" ---which is fine but not for turkey hunters.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Not to hijack thread, but what makes an M2 worth the money? I have had 2 M2 20 gauges and 1 M2 12 gauge. Great feeling gun for sure! Hardly any difference in components from the Franchi Affinity which is hundreds less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3w0auqskDI

Return to “Gun Talk”