why 9 over 8 tss?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
-DIRTNAP-

why 9 over 8 tss?

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

8 or 9 TSS. Was wondering why guys shooting 12 gauge with bigger payloads would choose 9 over 8 shot. Wouldn't 8 hit harder and stay together longer at farther range. In a 2 1/2 ounce load you wouldn't think you would lose that much pellet count?
Jamey

Re: why 9 over 8 tss?

Post by Jamey »

IMO 9 is the ultimate TSS shot size and that doesn't change simply because the gauge does. Only exception to that is 10 is possibly better if shooting a 410 in order to keep up the pattern out to 40 which is about the farthest I'd shoot 10's anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

Honestly, after shooting TSS 9s for the last two years, I see no reason to shoot more than 2 ounces or less. I went from shooting 2.25 ounces of 7.5 hevi in a 3.5 inch to 2 ounces of 9s in a 3 inch and I just loaded a few 2.75 inch to test. The 2 ounces of 9s patterns way better and kill way better than the 7.5 hevi did.

Just my opinion and experience, but at the end of the day load, pattern and hunt with what you like.

Best of luck.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I’ve been using 8’s and 9’s and I’ll go with straight 9’s from now on. I’ve killed a couple a long way with both and I haven’t seen an appreciable difference in the two. Pattern wise, the 8’s have a couple more holes than the 9’s, but heck either will kill to 60.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

How far will 9 penetrate enough to kill
Vs
How far will 8 penetrate enough to kill
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

After using TSS for 10 seasons, I'm convinced it doesn't really make any difference. You would have to get to extreme ranges to notice any difference in performance on turkeys.
chipper

Post by chipper »

I started with 8's three years ago, after talking with several on this forum that have shot it lots longer than me I went to a 20 gauge 2 years ago with straight #9 and 9.5's , they are all I will shoot the rest of my turkey hunting days. I still load the few pounds of 8' s I have for my son in law and his dad, I'm a firm believer in the 9's and 9.5's, I've seen 13 gobbler die the last 2 years from 15 to 55 yards and I can't describe how devastating those 9' and 9.5's were on those birds, it's something I think you have to be on the trigger and see to believe, it's like something comes up out of the ground and just sucks the life out of them.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: May 13th, 2018, 7:17 pm After using TSS for 10 seasons, I'm convinced it doesn't really make any difference. You would have to get to extreme ranges to notice any difference in performance on turkeys.
Which leads most to the 20’s or smaller. Both sizes kill a long ways, so you can lighten the payload and still get plenty of lethal pellets.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The only time I load 8's is to duplex with 9's or to zero my guns with straight 8's. And the only reason I duplex is for shells that I gave to a buddy and wanted to get rid of the 8's. What he doesn't know doesn't hurt him and the loads still kill turkeys. ;) I bought the 8's early in the game before the consensus developed that 9's are all one needs. Gil
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

I have a 870 20 also shooting 9 shot . but I like that big payload of 3 1/2 just wondering if it pays to shoot 8 in that 2 1/2 ounce load
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

No need to shoot 8's.
9 will kill them way further than a person should be shooting. Why would you want the thinner pattern with 8's.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

-DIRTNAP- wrote: May 13th, 2018, 8:22 pm I have a 870 20 also shooting 9 shot . but I like that big payload of 3 1/2 just wondering if it pays to shoot 8 in that 2 1/2 ounce load
If you were consistently shooting at turkeys at 80+ yards then I would tell you to shoot 8's, if your shots were at normal ranges (25 to 50 yards, give or take 15 to 20 yards) I would say shoot 9's. I personally shoot 9.5's and I can tell you that they have way more range than what most people will (should) need.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Jstocks wrote: May 13th, 2018, 8:42 pm No need to shoot 8's.
9 will kill them way further than a person should be shooting. Why would you want the thinner pattern with 8's.
I didnt think 9 to 8 would be that much thinner
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

That primarily comes down to total pellet count in your pattern or load. With TSS #8’s, the average pellet count per ounce is 254. With #9’s, it is 362. So with the 2.5 ounce load in question, you are looking at 635 pellets on average per load with 8’s, vs 905 with 9’s. That’s going to be noticeable in your patten density, even if the 8’s hold together a little better with your set up. The 8’s are still likely to produce a better pattern than any load you would hunt turkeys with using any other shot size and density, (because the 8’s have a higher pellet count per ounce than all the traditionally used shot sizes including HW 7’s and lead 6’s) but it still won’t stand up mathematically to the pattern of the 9’s.

I’m pretty new to the game myself, and am happy with what my 9’s do. I’ve toyed with trying all different kinds of combinations, but time and the cost of trying different loads has kept me from it thus far. You will be happy either way. Hal would recommend that you split the difference at the 2.5 ounce load and go with 8.5 for maximum performance (optimizing maximum range with a given shot size, at given muzzle velocity, at the point that statistically you should have adequate penetration and pattern density). Check out this thread to understand much more: https://www.tungstensupershots.com/viewtopic.php?t=139

And here is the pellet count per ounce thread that is also very enlightening: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1682
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I love 8’s. Rather shoot them than 9’s
If it’s open area it gonna work with whatever size shot you have. Really thick nasty stuff I personally don’t think 9’s eats the brush like 8’s does. I don’t need huge pellet counts in the 10 so I will sacrifice pellet counts for fewer pellets for shredder capabilities
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Bustinbeards

Post by Bustinbeards »

hoobilly wrote: May 14th, 2018, 8:09 am I love 8’s. Rather shoot them than 9’s
If it’s open area it gonna work with whatever size shot you have. Really thick nasty stuff I personally don’t think 9’s eats the brush like 8’s does. I don’t need huge pellet counts in the 10 so I will sacrifice pellet counts for fewer pellets for shredder capabilities
My thoughts exactly plus the 8's will break em down even if you don't hit that head.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Ya I'm kinda torn between the two . how does the duplex load do? I see nitro and apex do a 7.5x9 wonder if duplexing is best of both worlds they claim better patterns ?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

There is absolutely no point in duplexing unless you are simply trying to eliminate the 8's (or 9's) from stockpile. How do you know whether or not the 8 or 9 hits the vital? It's a crap shoot. For all but extreme ranges, 9's work day in or day out. A buddy misjudged a bird which crumpled at 60 steps with 9's. The largest of the wingbones was smashed. 9's do a lot more shredding than folks may realize. In McDaniel's first book on turkey hunting, he discussed the efficacy of lead 6's. He made a case that brush deflected more shot than folks realized and he conducted tests which proved his theory. In the shot path are unseen "stick-ups", leaves, etc. that are hit by the pattern. He believed bigger shot was the answer. If all you have are 8's, shoot'em up. Then buy the 9s. Gil
PS: Corrected misstatement about TSS9's weighing as much as lead 5's.
Last edited by GLS on May 14th, 2018, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Nitro is duplexing told me it holds the shot together for tighter patterns I can't confirm this but could that be true?
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

-DIRTNAP- wrote: May 14th, 2018, 12:16 pm Nitro is duplexing told me it holds the shot together for tighter patterns I can't confirm this but could that be true?
I honestly believe that is a sales pitch, I can't see how duplexing shot sizes could possibly keep the shot string together better. If I were to ever load TSS for a 10 gauge I would still use 9.5's as I know from personal experiences what they will do but I'm not looking to kill them at 80 or 90 yards either.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

I agree can't be to many 7.5 in there to get 475 pellet count seems like a lot of 9
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

turkeyinstrut wrote: May 14th, 2018, 12:42 pm
-DIRTNAP- wrote: May 14th, 2018, 12:16 pm Nitro is duplexing told me it holds the shot together for tighter patterns I can't confirm this but could that be true?
I honestly believe that is a sales pitch, I can't see how duplexing shot sizes could possibly keep the shot string together better. If I were to ever load TSS for a 10 gauge I would still use 9.5's as I know from personal experiences what they will do but I'm not looking to kill them at 80 or 90 yards either.
I believe it is because several states require at least some pellets in the shell to be 7.5 or larger and this allows them to sell to more hunters.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Just shoot 8-1/2’s :lol:
That’s actually what I started with.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Lol makes sense
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I like nines in 28ga and under. 8s & 7.5 in 20ga and 12ga. With the patterns I can get w/7.5s, I see no advantage to go with smaller shot in 20ga and 12ga. In fact the larger shot does better in thick cover and will aid in putting a bird down if a misplaced shot happens. The reality of it is, most of our kills can be made with lead. The advantage of tss come into play with the 40-60 yard shots, and in 28 & 410s.

Return to “Gun Talk”