which o/u

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
willie

which o/u

Post by willie »

i am getting ready to get in the market for a 20 gauge o/u.i am not going to say money is no object but i do want a good quality o/u but not a fancy showcase gun my wants are as follows:
1. 20 gauge
2. 24-26" barrel (26 is the longest) but prefer 24"
3. must have selection choice on which barrel i want to shoot (this is a must)
4.don't prefer a remington
5. 6.5# weight or lighter if possible
6. able to shoot 2 3/4 or 3" shells
7. screw in chokes

i would like your suggestion on experience with a particular brand o/u (one u are glad u got). i am going to make a turkey gun only out of it.
thanks for any suggestions
willie
BrowningGuy88

Re: which o/u

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Stevens 555 or a Browning Citori Micro
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

If you can find a CZ Mallard, that’d be near the top of my list. Double triggers really are the way to go on a turkey gun. If not, I’d probably take a hard look at the Stevens. Any Browning. I wouldn’t be scared of the Yildiz either.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Whatever you get, be sure the barrels were well regulated before you buy it or it comes with a warranty whereby the regulation will be corrected. If you can find a Cynergy Feather and can be sure it hits where it oughta, that'd be about top of the heap for a lightweight and little better quality gun.

Easy answer is a Yildiz Youth model. Of the three YIldiz O/Us I have bought, one was off far enough it needed correction. It was spot on after work under warranty. Their idea of a youth length stock isn't very short. Putting a thick recoil pad on would make it standard length for most.
willie

Post by willie »

i like brownings but wanted light gun if possible.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

BEC7B6F0-E6A6-4A04-A52F-CED69E41E9BA.jpeg
I have a Savage Stevens 555 20ga, and it's one of my favorite turkey guns!!! At 5.5 lbs it a joy to carry also, and the barrels are regulated super close!!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

2Shooter wrote: April 9th, 2018, 9:22 pm BEC7B6F0-E6A6-4A04-A52F-CED69E41E9BA.jpegI have a Savage Stevens 555 20ga, and it's one of my favorite turkey guns!!! At 5.5 lbs it a joy to carry also, and the barrels are regulated super close!!!
thats a sharp lil gun!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Thanks Brice
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Aww, be traditional and go with a sxs gun. My Yildiz weighs 5-6, has 24" barrels, and shoots both of them to the exact same POI. And I only had to spend about $1000 and 100 hours of work to get it to do that. :)

KS

Post by KS »

do they still make yildiz sxs
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: April 11th, 2018, 9:44 am Aww, be traditional and go with a sxs gun. My Yildiz weighs 5-6, has 24" barrels, and shoots both of them to the exact same POI. And I only had to spend about $1000 and 100 hours of work to get it to do that. :)

Awesome turkey killing machine you have there preacher!!! :thumbup:
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: April 11th, 2018, 9:44 am Aww, be traditional and go with a sxs gun. My Yildiz weighs 5-6, has 24" barrels, and shoots both of them to the exact same POI. And I only had to spend about $1000 and 100 hours of work to get it to do that. :)

I totally agree! Although, I do think you’re the whole reason I was skeptical of a SxS :lol: Glad ol Doc Holliday was around to twist my arm and talk me into it ;) I’ve really enjoyed mine, and it took some guidance, but I did not have nearly as much trouble getting mine lined out, as you did. Always liked your gun though! Pretty slick setup.
poorcountrypreacher

The CZ that Doc uses is a little heavier and it's easier to get it to shoot straight. I have a 202 CZ that shot ok right out of the box. Yildiz still makes a sxs, but Academy quit carrying them. I don't think even CZ offers a DT model now. May have to go the o/u route these days.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Yes sir, I shoot the same one as Doc. I added sights, but the barrels were very well regulated. And yes, unfortunately, the Bobwhite has been discontinued. I believe the “Sharp Tail” is now their current model. No more double triggers....which I feel is a great advantage in the turkey woods.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I want one but I'm scared....I would end up with one that the barrels would be 2 foot off each other and I know it...LOL
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

There's a 28ga Bobwhite on gunbroker for $700. There's also a 5# Cynergy Feather 20ga on there, but it has 28" barrels.
willie

Post by willie »

2shooter what did u do to get it regulated.i am getting shy now of getting a o/u or double barrel cause i am so picky about poi and if it was off i would be sending gun back and forth and back and forth to gun manufacturers.what % of o/u are shooting off if u had to guess.i don't want to open a can of worms.
thanks
willie
poorcountrypreacher

willie wrote: April 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm 2shooter what did u do to get it regulated.i am getting shy now of getting a o/u or double barrel cause i am so picky about poi and if it was off i would be sending gun back and forth and back and forth to gun manufacturers.what % of o/u are shooting off if u had to guess.i don't want to open a can of worms.
thanks
willie
I've been hunting and haven't been able to read any the last few days.

Let me try to clear something up about 2 barrel guns and their regulation - most of the decent ones will shoot just fine with the ammunition for which they are intended. My Yildiz would center both barrels with field loads; that's how they built it. A heavy waterfowl gun, like some Winchester 21 models, should center turkey loads just fine. Where we run into problems is shooting heavy turkey loads through a lightweight field gun - that's not how it was designed.

The problem with almost every sxs gun I've tested is that the right barrel will shoot to the right and the left barrel shoots left. 2 barrel guns are designed with convergence to account for recoil. The barrels are not parallel; they are further apart at the breech than the muzzle. Gunmakers use a certain amount of convergence to account for the recoil, and if they do it right, both barrels shoot to the same place. It is impossible to make a 2 barrel gun that shoots all loads to the same poi. Physics just doesn't allow it. A heavier gun should have less of a problem with this, and results might be close enough for using any shell, but there will always be some difference in poi with different loads.

SXS guns will have l/r issues, and o/u guns will have up/down issues. The easiest way to move the poi is to file the very end of the choke. If you want to move the pattern down, file the bottom half of the choke. When the wad exits, the chamfer will pull it down and make the gun shoot lower. I've talked with several guys on here who have moved their poi successfully using this method. I've also talked with one guy who was not able to make an o/u gun usable, but it was shooting off to the side and that was a flaw in the way the gun was made. It usually isn't hard to move a pattern several inches at 40 yards.

I think the best way to set up a 2 barrel gun is to put a turkey choke in one barrel and let it shoot wherever it will, and use it for your main barrel. Then put a more open choke in the other barrel and adjust it as necessary to shoot to the same spot. My CZ would do this with no adjustment needed, but all the others I've tested would not. Adjustment can be as simple as using a different shell. My Yildiz would center a certain factory lead turkey load; you might be able to find a load for your open barrel that will work fine. For some reason, most guns have trouble with TSS more than anything. Even 1.25 oz loads would be off. I don't understand that, but it happened.

I filed 2 chokes for the Yildiz and got it to center both barrels with the same TSS load, but I wasn't satisfied with the pattern of the tight barrel. I used it a couple of years that way, but wanted something better. I finally settled on a flush Carlson .585 choke, and it does 260-300 using #9. I've found that very effective as the main barrel. I put an eccentric choke in the open barrel, filed on it a little, and it now shoots to the same poi as the other barrel. I load it with #10 without buffer, and it gives me a much wider pattern at close range. I shot the gobbler above at 19 yards with the #10s.

So don't be afraid of a 2 barrel gun. I think it's the best setup for turkey hunting. Just realize that you are taking a chance on the really cheap Turkish guns, and they may have issues that go beyond those you should expect.

I have had a good season in AL. I have gotten 4 and still looking for a volunteer to be #5. Good hunting to all.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

willie wrote: April 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm 2shooter what did u do to get it regulated.i am getting shy now of getting a o/u or double barrel cause i am so picky about poi and if it was off i would be sending gun back and forth and back and forth to gun manufacturers.what % of o/u are shooting off if u had to guess.i don't want to open a can of worms.
thanks
willie
It came out of the box shooting both barrels poa/poi. I’ve got a ATI Cavalry.410 o/u that the bottom barrel shot 7-8 inches higher than the top barrel. Using preachers choke filing method I got it shooting both barrels poa/poi!!! Steve
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Don't you all think that they all could send a gun out to the public that should at least be close!!!
poorcountrypreacher

devastator wrote: April 14th, 2018, 5:57 pm Don't you all think that they all could send a gun out to the public that should at least be close!!!
Of course they should, and I have found that most of them are. But again, the key thing to understand is that they have to regulate them for one type of ammunition, and that is usually a field load. So we take a 20 gauge gun that is made to center one ounce loads, and run 1.75 oz loads, and we get problems. They are usually solvable, but expect that most guns will have them.

Of course, some guns are just poorly made and won't center anything. I have a Spanish sxs that has way too much barrel convergence. The left barrel shot way to the right, and the right barrel way to the left. It did that with field loads, so I had hopes that it might center TSS. It wouldn't, and the guy who put it together must have been drunk that day. I filed the chokes and made it center TSS, and carry it for my backup turkey gun. I'm sure every previous owner of that gun had some frustrating days with it.

If you own a sxs gun, spend some time patterning different loads and you will see what I mean.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

For clarity in this discussion, I have never tried to make a sxs (or O/U for that matter) shoot both barrels to same POA/POI. In every one I’ve put together or helped on the goal was to have one barrel shoot “on” at 40 and the other at 20. In the 15 or so that I have done, all have worked except the O/U’s and one SxS (not CZ). This has been true over 20, 28, and now .410. If I wanted same POA/POI I would shoot a single barrel like Hal’s Ithaca 😜 or WW’s franchi. Hate to see that CZ has quit importing the Bob. I agree w/ WW the double triggers are ideal in Turkey hunting. Glad I bought extras!
NRA Benefactor Life Member
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

BTW the Ruger Red Label makes a sweet turkey gun in 20 or 28 gauge. Just beware that bottom barrel shoots about 8” low if you set the top to shoot “on” at 40. Dad loves the CZ Mallard (also shoots bottom barrel about 8” low).
NRA Benefactor Life Member
poorcountrypreacher

Doc, thanks for adding to the discussion. You have probably done more than anyone around to get folks turkey hunting with sxs guns, and the way you set them up makes sense. I'd consider lead for my open barrel if there were any way to get it to shoot close to the same poi as the tight tss barrel, but it would probably not be possible.

With the tss, if it is on at 20 then it's gonna be on at 40, or at least close enough that it won't matter for hunting purposes. The whole point of 2 barrels for me is to have one tight pattern and one wide pattern. I am not really concerned about using a cheap shell for the closer shots. I went to pay my dues last week for a club I'm in and the president, who doesn't turkey hunt, pointed out that I was spending $300 per turkey on just dues. I told him I didn't need reminders like that. 😀

So shooting #10 and a different choke accomplishes the same thing as a lead load at close range, but it still has a killing pattern all the way to 40. I wouldn't really wanna shoot a turkey at 40 with it; I don't think I could avoid putting a lot of shot in his body. But if I ever needed to finish a cripple, I'd much rather be able to kill him and put some shot in his body than to let him get away.

Who would have believed 10 years ago that hunters would be using #10 shot for turkey hunting? I have finished my AL limit - shot 3 with the tight barrel and 2 with the open barrel. I don't think having 2 barrel choices was the difference in killing or not killing any of them, but I felt a little less anxious about the close shots knowing that I had a lot more room for aiming error. This last one kind of surprised me and came up clucking at me, but he was on a mission to go somewhere and walked by quickly at 20 yards. I shot him as he went through an opening, and he had shot from the base of his neck to the top of his head, but didn't have a single pellet in his body. The tight barrel will do the same to one at 40.

In most situations, having an open barrel is probably not gonna really make any difference. If you have it on him, you get him, if you don't you miss. But there could be an instance someday when it's the difference between a kill and a miss. Tinkering with my gun is just part of the fun. Good hunting to all.

Return to “Gun Talk”