bead or scope

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Ozark Ridge Runner

Re: bead or scope

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner »

Delta Point Pro on my M2.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Nikon turkeypro and aimpoint
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

20180323_170048.jpg
Burris FF3 on 20 and 12ga. Sight Mark mini on my 410
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Truglo scope with rifle sights for a backup that are high enough to see in the bottom of the scope if the battery goes dead. Hard to see a gobblers head go down with a bead unless you put it on the wattles. I really like the scope

God Bless, Louis
Bossgobbler

Post by Bossgobbler »

FF2 on 1187 3.5" 12ga
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

old eyes got tired of lining up beads on 21" barrel on 1187, got ff3, makes a world of difference.....
you never know, unless you go

David
chipper

Post by chipper »

I went to a Aimpoint micro H1 last year and wished I would have done it 20 years ago, sure is easier on my older eyes.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

FF II on a Speed Bead mount on my SBE II, bead only on my Stevens single shot. Even though I wear glasses, it's a minor correction. I don't hunt with them on because fogging thoroughly pi$$e$ me off. The red dot rocks.

My Stevens has a fixed modified choke, so birds have to be close. I never missed a turkey with that gun because none were over 30 yards when I shot...I did let quite a few pass that were not slam dunk shots. Some haunt me, some I killed later.

Jim
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Cut N Run wrote: March 25th, 2018, 8:13 am FF II on a Speed Bead mount on my SBE II, bead only on my Stevens single shot. Even though I wear glasses, it's a minor correction. I don't hunt with them on because fogging thoroughly pi$$e$ me off. The red dot rocks.

My Stevens has a fixed modified choke, so birds have to be close. I never missed a turkey with that gun because none were over 30 yards when I shot...I did let quite a few pass that were not slam dunk shots. Some haunt me, some I killed later.

Jim
The best way I have found to cure fogged glasses is to rub a little shaving cream (the old kind like Barbasol) on each side of the lenses and leave it on there for about two minutes then wipe it off, it's a little messy but you don't need to use much and it works great.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Speaking of old eyes: I noticed my red dot on my Yildiz single-shot .410 appeared to be slightly out of round with the vertical diameter slightly longer than the diameter at right angle to the vertical. I looked through the left eye. Perfect. My right eye is most likely astigmatic. Gil
liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

I have Leupold 2x7 NWTF scopes on my 11-87 and my SBEII.
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

I shoot both bead and reflex sight. The latter was never a consideration until I discovered turkey chokes and paired them with LB’s or TSS.
mnhunter2

Post by mnhunter2 »

I've used them all, FF3, fiber optic sight and just finished this yr with a Nikon turkey Pro scope and wouldn't go back for anything. For older eyes i just love the scope.
duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

The guns that shoot where the bead is I use the beads, the rest have red dots.

I keep wanting to buy cooler and more expensive ones but the Bushnell TRS-25's keep working.
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

On my spring gun, Leupold 1X4, and a see-through mount/bead, just in case. Only a bead on my fall gun, I go as light as possible.
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

Bead only ....cannot stand scopes or pistol grip stocks on a shotgun. I do have a 870 SPS turkey that has a 23" rifle sighted barell that works well also. I prefer a even pattern at 35-40 yards max, out of 8 gobblers this spring the farthest was maybe 30 yards so super tight patterns or scopes not needed.I also think the scopes contribute to the "I thought it was 40 but ended up being 60 yard" comments. Your not going to put a bead on a 50-60 yard gobbler and think it's 40 the bead will probably cover the whole bird anyway.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Longspurs wrote: May 8th, 2018, 11:58 am Bead only ....cannot stand scopes or pistol grip stocks on a shotgun. I do have a 870 SPS turkey that has a 23" rifle sighted barell that works well also. I prefer a even pattern at 35-40 yards max, out of 8 gobblers this spring the farthest was maybe 30 yards so super tight patterns or scopes not needed.I also think the scopes contribute to the "I thought it was 40 but ended up being 60 yard" comments. Your not going to put a bead on a 50-60 yard gobbler and think it's 40 the bead will probably cover the whole bird anyway.
Gonna diss scopes and pistol grips in the same post eh? What's your Old Gobbler user name? :D
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

SwampDrummin wrote: May 8th, 2018, 6:23 pm
Longspurs wrote: May 8th, 2018, 11:58 am Bead only ....cannot stand scopes or pistol grip stocks on a shotgun. I do have a 870 SPS turkey that has a 23" rifle sighted barell that works well also. I prefer a even pattern at 35-40 yards max, out of 8 gobblers this spring the farthest was maybe 30 yards so super tight patterns or scopes not needed.I also think the scopes contribute to the "I thought it was 40 but ended up being 60 yard" comments. Your not going to put a bead on a 50-60 yard gobbler and think it's 40 the bead will probably cover the whole bird anyway.
Gonna diss scopes and pistol grips in the same post eh? What's your Old Gobbler user name? :D
My old gobbler username is : Ugothurtfeelings
Some forums I go by : whyUcrying ,you may recognize my username.
batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

2 Venoms and 1 ff3 on my shotguns.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Leupold VX-1 1-4x20mm with the Turkey Plex Reticle. The reticle also acts as a range finder. At 4 power & 40 yards, the head files the circular reticle.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I like to shoot the bead, but only own 1 turkey gun that shoots POA. The rest have Williams fire sights.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
turkey_picker

Post by turkey_picker »

EOTech on both of my guns, love the circle with dot in the center.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

My sbe2 shoots dead on with the beads which I prefer, my 20ga sa20 is off a little and has truglo adjustable iron sights, do not care for them much but they work. Likely go to an optic next year.
big6

Post by big6 »

Red dots on all my turkey guns.

Return to “Gun Talk”