Why only Burris FF3 and vortex venom?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
dsunday

Why only Burris FF3 and vortex venom?

Post by dsunday »

When looking through recommended red dots, it seems the Burris FF3 and Venom are the only two mentioned. Why not models like Truglo or Vortex Strikerfire that are less expensive?

Also, what is the least complicated mount for an 870youth? Bsquare saddle ?
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Why only Burris FF3 and vortex venom?

Post by Hoobilly »

The main reason for the shorter smaller red dot is that you get a good cheek weld on the stock. Also if the dot was to fail, you can just about use the beed on most setups. Where as the trifle and higher mounted red dots you would have to remove to use.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Call it insurance. These things are tiny pieces put together with screws and glue. I wouldn't spend several dollars per shell sighting in something I wasn't real sure would work real well without trouble.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I only recommend items that I have first hand experience with. And in the case of red dots it's the Vortex Venom.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Also, what is the least complicated mount for an 870youth? Bsquare saddle ?
[/quote]

Sumtoy FF3 mount
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

I have both the FF3, and the Vortex Venom and like both sights!!! But, I like that you have a see through protective cover on the FF3, and you can get a guard for both to protect them. But, the FF3 will allow you to keep the protective cover on while using it mounted in the guard. For the reasons listed I would go with a FF3. But you can't go wrong with either sight!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :cheers:
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

2Shooter wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 5:56 pm Also, what is the least complicated mount for an 870youth? Bsquare saddle ?
Sumtoy FF3 mount
[/quote]

Does it need to be drilled and tapped?
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

An Aimtech Rib Rider seems pretty simple. I have had one for years, but I've never used it so I can't say how well it works. (Bought a cheaper red dot. It broke before I ever shot the gun.)
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

If your shotgun is drilled and tapped you have it made! If not you can drill and tap it or get a saddle mount. The saddle mounts seem to be more apt to work loose or be able to move to me.

I have a Truglo on my Benelli and have shot hundreds of 3" mags through it ...no failures. I have put several Truglo red dot sights on shotguns with zero problems. I drilled and tapped my Benelli and put a weaver style base on with the Truglo on top. The scope is just low enough to see the 700 rifle sights that I have drilled and tapped on the rib through the scope if the battery happens to get left on. It is so far foolproof. I have had a dead battery a couple of times; especially when letting someone use my gun and them forgetting to turn of the scope. You sit down the next morning in the dark and then realize the battery is dead. I have bought a bunch of Truglo's on sale usually at Basspro or some where for $29 or so. I also keep one on hand unless one of my buddies has one go bad which hasn't happened yet; knock on wood!
Do not attach a weaver style base with less than 3 screws and I would recommend 4. Some shotguns that means you need to put extra hole in the base to contact the most meat in the receiver.

God Bless, Louis
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Don,
My opinion on this is on the 870 youth that is not drilled and tapped, is that I would go with an Aimtech saddle mount. And nothing else.......unless having it drilled and tapped. Go with the Aimtech because they use wider picatinny base cross slots than the B-square and I have seen some Vortex Venom bases with wide base attachments that won't fit smaller cross slots without filing. The Aimtech will fit......when others won't. Go with the Aimtech ASM-220 saddle, and use blue loctite. I've never had an issue. Trust me on this one.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

You can have my base or Burris 336 put on for about what saddle mount runs. Both are better ways but saddle works.

Return to “Gun Talk”