Adding screw in choke

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
coconut

Adding screw in choke

Post by coconut »

If you are installing screw in choke to a fixed choke barrel does it matter how the fixed choke barrel is choked?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Adding screw in choke

Post by Hoobilly »

It should not matter. What does matter is inside diameter and choke thread type you want to have installed

I have used Carlson’s to have tubes installed. Namely my Ithaca 37 that had a cut down barrel and I further cut down to 21”

I measured it and told the guy at Carlson’s I thought remchoke would work. He was skeptical as they had never found a Ithaca barrel bore that would work. I told him if remchoke wouldn’t work to just send the barrel back lol
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I don't think it matters what choke the gun is as long as the OD of the barrel is large enough to accept a screw in choke, if the OD isn't large enough it will leave the barrel too thin after it has been drilled and tapped. Maybe Sumtoy or someone that does that kind of work chime in that knows a little more about it.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

It is all about the outside diameter.
Most older barrels from Remington take tru choke (not thin wall tru choke) Browning that the tru choke. Winchester and Moss take the win/rem.
With every one worrying about the weight of guns now companies have gone to what I call bell bottom pants. You look down barrel they swell out at the end to fit chokes in.
Now a lot of times the when you thread they do better. With some of the mass produced gun now we see a lot of off center.
Last edited by SumToy on January 1st, 2018, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Sumtoy, any ideas how the old fixed chokes were added to barrels like model 12 or browning superposed? Did they put medal dowl in the barrel and hammer on it or was it cut in there?
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

I dont really know. I know the M12 was one of the best over the counter guns when it came to patterns.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I have an older H&R 10 ga single barrel with a 32 inch barrel and .720 fixed full choke. I sent it off and had it threaded, but was told Tru Choke was my only option due to outside diameter. I then had Sumtoy make me a custom choke to fit it and am very pleased with it, although if I ever decided to sell it I feel like the Tru Choke would be a deal breaker to some buyers because it just isn't popular. Looking back, I think I could have experimented with some TSS shells and gotten the performance I was looking for without all the trouble and expense. Am loading TSS 9 for it now and putting up 453 in a pre drawn 10 inch circle at 40 with the Sumtoy .685. I think if I had tried TSS first I would have gotten 300+ and would have just left it alone.

Return to “Gun Talk”