Turkey season is over....

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Turkey season is over....

Post by Reloader »

So now it's time to think rifle :D

Just got this back and plan to pillar bed it into a stock soon. Building this for Dad, it's his first custom.

I picked up 500 95grn Partitions, so I hope it likes them...
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkey season is over....

Post by howl »

Looks nice, but I think they put the bolt handle on the wrong side. :dontknow:
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

LOL, can't be having a backwards action around here :D
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome caliber!!! Sweet 700 SA!!! Dad will be proud!!! :thumbup:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Model 7, or 700 action??? Hard to beat!!

Just got two new ones myself to play with. Both are only a few days old.
Model 7 Predator in 22-250, and Model 700 VSF in 220 Swift. Already named the heavy one, "Swifty Morgan".
She's been a sweetie so far. 4K+ velocities with 4064, and 50 grn Noslers, sub half inch.
The 250 is coming around, and giving half inch at 3800, with CFE223.
I'll post a pic tomorrow. Too late and too tired to fool with it now. :mrgreen:

WTG Ronny, looks like you have some potential there!!! :thumbup:
What brand barrel did you go with???
The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Very nice. Great cartridge. Did you go with a fast twist barrel for the heavier bullets? I've read fantastic stuff on the Hornady 105gr. AMax's, but my 1/10" Tikka .243 wouldn't stabilize them (didn't think it would, but just had to try).
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Thanks guys!

Tommy,

It's a Brux #3 8 twist finished at 24" with a 1" shank. Dad is a big fan of Walnut, so he was dead set on it for this build. I picked up a new pull-off CDL stock and will pillar bed it to combat any swelling issues. I'll prob fit the channel and begin pillar bedding next week. I picked up a new VX3 4.5-14x40, Talley Lightweight lows, a black Claw sling, 100 Hdy brass, and 500 95g Partitions to finish it out. Already have plenty of powder and primers to run. I had Tooley do the work, he is top notch.

TB,

I picked 95 NPTs for this one as Dad will only use it for whitetail at moderate ranges. I tried to get him to go 243 for simplicity, but he loves the old 6 Rem and wanted to be different. I picked the twist to shoot heavies, but it wasn't really needed. That said, it's hard to go wrong with a faster twist than needed.

My new 243 T3 SS Lam is also a 10, but it shoots 90-100s just fine and that's what I'll run. I picked up 300 more 95 NPTs for myself to run in it and hoping they'll stack at around 3100. I have the LRD in the Leupie I put on it, so 3100 with that BC will be spot on with the ret if they'll shoot.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

I'm going to try the 100 and 95 NPTs in my Dan Dowling 6-06 as well. I've never tried those two pills in it, but they oughta be a hammer at those speeds.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Cool
Mike
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I love Remington's
Mike
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I got my hands on a like new used Remington Classic .257 Roberts in 1985, which I had converted to .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. I shoot the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over IMR 4350 @ 3,175 fps which is exceptionally accurate in my rifle. I've loaded from 85 gr.-120 gr., but the 100 gr. in my rifle produces the best groups w/ minimal recoil and lethal performance on deer size game. I've owned rifles and reloaded from .378 Weatherby to .221 Remington Fireball and have found that for Whitetails the 25's are all I need and more. The older I get, the more I enjoy tinkering with and shooting the smaller calibers and looking for the "one hole" wonders.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

decoykrvr wrote:I got my hands on a like new used Remington Classic .257 Roberts in 1985, which I had converted to .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. I shoot the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over IMR 4350 @ 3,175 fps which is exceptionally accurate in my rifle. I've loaded from 85 gr.-120 gr., but the 100 gr. in my rifle produces the best groups w/ minimal recoil and lethal performance on deer size game. I've owned rifles and reloaded from .378 Weatherby to .221 Remington Fireball and have found that for Whitetails the 25's are all I need and more. The older I get, the more I enjoy tinkering with and shooting the smaller calibers and looking for the "one hole" wonders.
I hear ya. I still like my various magnums, but the smaller carts sure are fun. I killed some hoss bucks last year with the lowly 6.8SPC. Hardly any recoil and much less noise, it's hard to go wrong.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Easy now!! Lowly 6.8 SPC. HA. I love mine and will keep on doin so. Oh and killin bucks too.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Yule

Post by Yule »

I like the 95g Ballistic Tip. No tracking required....
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Johndoe wrote:Easy now!! Lowly 6.8 SPC. HA. I love mine and will keep on doin so. Oh and killin bucks too.
I hear ya John. That cart is becoming one of my favorites.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've never been heavy recoil sensitive (excluding the larger Weatherby cartridges), but have found that shooting rifles chambered for smaller calibers is not only extremely pleasurable, but, all factors considered, enhances accuracy. When I started shooting a .257 Roberts Improved with low recoil and exceptional accuracy, I started neck shooting whitetails which totally eliminates lost game and even tracking. Several years ago, I had a slightly quartering frontal shot on a nice whitetail buck at @ 90 yards. I shot the buck w/ a 100 gr Nosler Ballistic tip @ 3" from the base of the neck dropping him in his tracks. The bullet had smashed the vertebrae passing through, and while skinning the deer, I recovered the bullet under the hide on the right hindquarter. The Ballistic Tip had mushroomed perfectly and retained 60% of it's original weight. Prior to the introduction of the Ballistic Tips, I had shot a lot of animals w/ the Nosler Partitions and the majority were total pass throughs with very little expansion even when contacting bone.

Return to “Gun Talk”