Opinions - Cerakote or Dip

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I'm about to send my 870 Youth out for a makeover. It's going to get one of the following:

1. Patriot Brown on all metal and Original Bottomland dip on stocks

2. Patriot Brown on all metal and Black Dove Customs version of bottomland on the stocks

3. Black Dove Customs full camo Cerakote. Either bottomland version or striped camo.

4. Complete Bottomland hydro dip

What would y'all do? It's going out in a week. I just can't decide what I want! Thanks for all the opinions!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Opinions - Cerakote or Dip

Post by GLS »

Or you could spend $50 on a "shake and spray" kit from Duracoat. Gil
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

Bottomland dip forsure I love the old school look
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I love the Cerakote tiger stripe I got from black doves. It was way more than I wanted to spend, but it looks great and has held up awesome.
If I had to do it all over again, I would just have got all the metal done in black. I wouldn't dip one.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I like my mossy oak obsession, I believe it's called, that I just got back on my Mossberg 500.
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Depends on who does the dip I think they hold up pretty well.

I'm going on two years with one that looks like it was done yesterday..Another one I had dipped was a joke.

I have gun parts cerakote but never a whole gun.

I will say if you get a half done dip you will notice places like where the barrel goes into the receiver it will start to crack peel etc

If you go dipped choose a dipper wisely

Good luck !!

Sent from somewhere deep in West By God
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Cerakote is tougher than a dip, but it too does scratch. I had my 870 Youth CKd several years back as it was a rust nightmare. It's held up very well and I no longer have rust issues, but after 3 hard seasons I'm starting to see the bead blasted metal appear in high wear areas or some scratched areas. Coaters want you to believe CK is like diamonds and some get offended if you claim otherwise, but I've had 6 guns CKd and it wears. It's tough no doubt compared to others, but in the end it's merely a coating and will come off in contact areas. Not that it answers your question, but thought you ought to know before spending the money.

Back to the question, I like the contrast of the CK metal and the dipped plastic.

This is my 870 Youth with RTHWDs stocks and Patriot Brown metal:
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

I agree - Cerakote wears and scratches. I can't say that it's much better than a quality dip except for color options...
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Thanks guys!

Right now I'm leaning to doing the metal in patriot brown and leaving the stocks alone. If I decide to do them later, I will.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Since you didn't ask, here's my diy Duracoat. ;)
Gil
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I'm going to have my SBE done soon. I've decided on Patriot brown CK on the barrel and receiver. I'm going to duracote the synthetic black myself. And I have a buddy who is going to do Gun-Kote (black) on the trigger guard and exposed pirtion of the bolt. I'm going to call it "tri-coated" when people ask to make them think its a real thing, but really I'm just indecisive.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

GLS wrote:Since you didn't ask, here's my diy Duracoat. ;)
Gil

I've always been a fan of your builds! My gunsmith is actually after me to let him do a duracoat job on this gun, but I guess I don't know how it compares to Cerakote honestly. I just see a lot more Cerakote guns out there, so I've kind of set my kind on that.

So how does Duracoat hold up?
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

On my AL 48 I want to have it dipped or something. Would you guys do the wood? I personally don't care if wood is covered wouldn't bother mea bit. It's gonna be a turkey killed not hide out in a safe
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you note where the action hits the forearm, there is some paint chipping. I dropped the damn action onto my porcelain tiled kitchen floor and it slightly bent the metal. The finish is not indestructible, but it is tough. I have some scratches, but nothing serious. I've also used rattle-can paint which is not quite as tough, but wears pretty well and is repairable. Duracoat is a two-part epoxy. The sprayer combines the two parts for application. As long as it cures without handling for a month, it will be at its most durable. The kit contains all that one needs, including abrasive pads to rough the surface and degreaser. Rattle-can paint should also cure for several weeks before handling. With both Duracoat and Rattle-cans, surface preparation is paramount. Gil
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

If you can find someone that uses KG GunKote use them. I have 3 done with it. My dedicated buck shot gun rides barrel on the dash board. 6 years and almost can't see any wear. Real rough riding truck on rough roads. It's the toughest stuff I have seen.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I'm a huge fan of MO Bottomland, so my answer will always be a fill dip in that!
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Do both, get it dipped, and have clear matte cerakote applied over it. Utah Hydrographics does this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!

Return to “Gun Talk”