Scope mount for 1187 20ga

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
tarheelkid

Scope mount for 1187 20ga

Post by tarheelkid »

I just picked up a new 1187 20ga and put a shurshot stock on it. With just the stock it ran fine with field loads. I then put on the Saddle mount made by Remington for an 1187 and had all sorts of problems.

First the channel for the bolt handle wasn't milled wide enough so I had to open it up with a file. Then when I tightened the mount up enough that it wouldn't move, the action was bound up and won't eject shells. I tried it with one and 2 shims (evidently it's supposed to fit both the 12 and 20 ga). Are all saddle mounts this big of a pain? Do I have any other options or are the aimtech, b-sqaure, or weaver saddle mounts any better?
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Scope mount for 1187 20ga

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I assume it's not drilled and tapped? If not, then I would get it done. I have never had saddle mount.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
FloppinTom

Post by FloppinTom »

I run B-square saddles on 870 and 1100 in 20 and 16 ga with no problems. Never heard of one that fits both 12 and 20. They really arent close in size. 12ga fits 16 and 12ga. 20ga fits 20 and 28ga.
Get there early, stay late, sit still and don't use weather as an excuse to stay home.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

I had my 1187 20 drilled and tapped. I bought a saddle mount also and luckily I didn't waist my time with it because of the fit. They do make a rib mount but I'm not sure who makes it. I might have seen it on amazon.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I second the tapping and drilling, that'd be my 1st choice. However I've used the B-Square saddle mounts on my Remington's before over the years, and never had an issue. The mount I had on my 12ga 870 would fit my 1100 20ga. Now that 1100 was a very older model so I'm not sure about newer Remington 20's, but that one did fit on both 12's and 20's. The box didn't say that or advertise it, i just tried it on my own and it fit and worked perfectly. The one thing I liked about the B-Square mount was that it sat up high enough off my vented rib, so I could still look down the barrel and use my bead if need be.

My neighbor owns a fab shop, and he has a lot stuff at his house as well, including drill press. I bought the drill bit and tap set online for less than $15 with shipping. And believe it or not that was the hardest part, ordering the set and getting them here. So if you know anyone at a fab shop or with access to a drill press, I'd buy the set and tapp and drill it yourself, that eliminates any and all problems you may have.
Pass the biscuits!!
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

I'd skip the saddle mount. I never have liked those things, but did have decent luck with one I put on an 870 for a relative. I made that one shorter and lighter though, so maybe it helped a bit due to less mass.

My buddy put one on his boy's 1187 20ga and started having trouble with zero before they left for TX last week. His boy had already killed one bird here at home, but he was having zero problems before the TX trip and found the saddle was shifting slightly. He got lucky and was able to call in a favor to a smith that drilled and tapped the same day. Most smiths have a pretty good back log.

You can get a gun drilled and tapped for about the same price as a saddle, so it's a no brainer.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

I agree with the drill and tap as the best option, but if there are other considerations against that, this rail mount has worked very well for me.
It is the B-Square Universal Cantilever. One aspect of the cantilever mount that I didn't think about in advance, but now appreciate very much, is the ability to quickly bore sight the scope. I fly with this gun and it is really nice to be able to check the scope against the barrel image that I know is right after all that jostling.

Return to “Gun Talk”