a gun for the kids

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
sevetts

a gun for the kids

Post by sevetts »

I usually just lurk on this site but I'm so sick of the 42 yard bans and policing on the other sight I'm gonna spend more time here. I do not currently load tss only because I have a lifetime supply of 12ga extended 6s, federal 7s and several nitro blends and though I know it's an improvement I'm in good shape ammo wise. I have 3 kids an 8 yr old son, and 2 daughters 6 and 3. I have 3 20ga guns that shoot federal 7s and nitro blends out of. I've got a youth 1300 that is my wife's gun but even with 2 3/4 federal 7s it rocks my son pretty good. Ive got a 26" 1187 with a dot that he can handle the recoil on but it dosent fit him and he dosent shoot it very well. He has been shooting my h and r pump with truglo sights. It dosent fit him and it's heavy but on a cauldwell field pod he can shoot it well. My middle daughter is really wanting to get started and I will have a new gun for them before next season. I'm sorry for the long post but here is my real question. I would love to load them a tss load. I've been lurking on the small bore stuff for a while and was really considering a micro bps 410. I've looked at youth 28s, and I've seen where guys were working on youth 20ga loads but haven't seen any results. I have been leary of getting started because it seems there are always problems getting components. Is there a kids load out there that I wouldn't have to hard a time finding components for. I'm not asking for a load just a guage that wouldn't be hard to get started in. Thanks in advance guys
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: a gun for the kids

Post by Johndoe »

Get started now. I have a load that is a combo of Hal's and Tommy's I believe. It's 1 1/4oz and patterns beautifully. Remington make the youth model with a short stock with spacers to add as the child grows. Place a Rem super full or a Trulock 585 in it and go.

20ga Rem 870 youth model.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I like to use my kids as excuses to buy new shotguns. The next one will probably be a 28 gauge O/U. The Stevens 555, or apparently ATI Cavalry, weigh less than 5 pounds.
Swampchickin234

Post by Swampchickin234 »

I'm new in the game and here's what I did. I originally started for only 28 gauge and a 20. Ive now found myself set up for 20,28,410, and 10. Working on accumulating my 12 stuff too. It's been a blast and it's been frustrating at the same time. I say go for it. My main reason for doing it, you are never reliant on someone else. You never have to wait for seasonal runs of ammo, never have to worry about order forms etc, When you buy your components, they basically come in bulk. Yeah, it's a little money, but in the long run, you buy those components 1 time and load for many many years. Get a pound of powder, order your stuff, and you have personal shells at the convenience of your own time. Watch harbor freight for a 50 buck drill press, and its kind of a 1 and done except for shot......unless your like me, and keep going and going lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sevetts

Post by sevetts »

Swampchickin234 wrote:I'm new in the game and here's what I did. I originally started for only 28 gauge and a 20. Ive now found myself set up for 20,28,410, and 10. Working on accumulating my 12 stuff too. It's been a blast and it's been frustrating at the same time. I say go for it. My main reason for doing it, you are never reliant on someone else. You never have to wait for seasonal runs of ammo, never have to worry about order forms etc, When you buy your components, they basically come in bulk. Yeah, it's a little money, but in the long run, you buy those components 1 time and load for many many years. Get a pound of powder, order your stuff, and you have personal shells at the convenience of your own time. Watch harbor freight for a 50 buck drill press, and its kind of a 1 and done except for shot......unless your like me, and keep going and going lol

I'm all for it, and I have a very supportive wife. I really just want someone to say you shouldn't have a problem finding what ya need. I understand if it was easy everyone would do it. I'm not a new hunter or new to shooting shotguns or reloading(ive got a 218 bee and a 25wssm that i have to load for) but I've never loaded a shotgun shell in my life. I live about 30 miles from nitro ray so it's been easy to shoot his loads and I like using a local business but tss has opened all kinds of possibilities for my kids. I'm sure once I start it will spread. How long did it take ya to get what you needed for your 28ga. Could you find everything you need components wise today?
Swampchickin234

Uhmmm I started early feb and I guess was lucky enough to click buy right then and there. With that being said, I reload 410 and 28 with steel and lead so I already had hulls and wads for them. You need some spacers. Yeah, I'd say you could manage for a 28. If you had s component you just couldn't find I could lend you some.

Swampchickin234

If you need something pm me and if I have it on hand I could hook you up

Swampchickin234

Felt was my nemesis if I remember correctly.

Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

Swampchickin234 wrote:Felt was my nemesis if I remember correctly.

it is mine too :banghead:
sevetts

Post by sevetts »

Thanks so much swampchicken. I appreciate it.
Deom

Post by Deom »

I have just gotten into loading TSS in the past month, as a matter of fact, I'm still waiting on my shot to come in from two guys, so I haven't even loaded one yet. You will find all of the components easy, but like me, you'll find some things are hard to get this time of the year. Most guys will suggest you get a roll crimp for Precision Reloading but they are still out of stock right now, however someone on here was nice enough to let me try out his Ballistic version before I buy it from him. I also had to wait on the buffer to come back into stock that my recipe called for. Other than that, it wasn't too bad, you just have to keep checking to see if it's in stock. One tip I can give you is if you decide you going to get into it, get ahold of a seller of the shot and get on the list ASAP.
sevetts

Post by sevetts »

Deom wrote:I have just gotten into loading TSS in the past month, as a matter of fact, I'm still waiting on my shot to come in from two guys, so I haven't even loaded one yet. You will find all of the components easy, but like me, you'll find some things are hard to get this time of the year. Most guys will suggest you get a roll crimp for Precision Reloading but they are still out of stock right now, however someone on here was nice enough to let me try out his Ballistic version before I buy it from him. I also had to wait on the buffer to come back into stock that my recipe called for. Other than that, it wasn't too bad, you just have to keep checking to see if it's in stock. One tip I can give you is if you decide you going to get into it, get ahold of a seller of the shot and get on the list ASAP.
Thanks for that man, that's what I wanted to hear.

Return to “Gun Talk”