Want to get my daughter shooting

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
aristico

Want to get my daughter shooting

Post by aristico »

Looking to start my daughter on a shotgun. Maybe even have her take a turkey this year if she feel comfortable. Im looking at getting her a 28 or 20 in a youth model. Was wondering if i should look forthe 28 wih tss or go with a 20 and the hevi shot reduced recoil loads? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Want to get my daughter shooting

Post by gophert »

I started my daughter off with the 20 ga. Especially if you are going to load TSS, you can just load a low recoil shell and it will be fine. Stick with a pretty basic choke in the .575 range.

I would also let her practice with some bird shot then get you some Fed Heavyweight #7 2-3/4 shells for hunting. They will bust one out to about 30 yards. As she gets older she will appreciate you getting her the 20 ga.

Not knowing how old she is, spend some money on a good portable blind until she learns how to sit still. Remember, your job is to make her as successful as possible early on so she will fall in love with the sport. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

20 ga., she will be growing and the 20 ga, should fit her for years to come
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

I would go with the Yildiz .410 single shot with 13/16 oz of TSS 9's. The gun only weighs 3.3 lbs, and patterens well too!!Image[/[URL=http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/steve ... m.jpg.html]Image
Splittoe

Post by Splittoe »

I opted for 20 gauge 870. http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vie ... 16&t=13900

We practice with the Winchester low recoil low noise skeet loads. They are like shooting a .22.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Having a daughter thats probably a wee bit younger than yours, she's just not quite there yet this season, I have thought about this, But I have not done it, so others may have more experience and a load already. A youth 20 gauge with a 3/4 oz. load of TSS #9s would be the ticket. A 3/4 oz. load of 9's will have a equal to or a tad more pellets in it than a 1 1/8 oz. load of lead #6's.... Of course, this load wont be one that you can stretch on out there like a 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 load, but thats not of any concern starting out. But what you do get is shell thats capable of the same "pattern type perforce" of a standard factory 1oz-1 1/4 oz. lead load, but with better penetration, and baby fart recoil.

My youth model 870 given to me by my grandfather is going into its 18th season in a few weeks... Ive got 12 ga. 870, 1100s, 48Al,390s, and few O/Us... never found any reason to change it up in the turkey woods, not even the 12 1/2" LOP stock.

Gas Autos also shave off a ton of recoil as well, Im not the biggest fan of handing a young' un an auto shotgun, but if there is a 20 ga. out there with a magazine cut off lever on the left side of the receiver like the older Beretta sporting 390's or A5's... you virtually turn it into a single shot and keep the recoil reduction.
aristico

Post by aristico »

Thanks for the info..she is 10 years old but isnt slight of build. Im looking at the shotgun in this link

http://www.mossberg.com/product/510-you ... eld-50497/

Thoughts? I figure by the time she outgrows this one i have some 20's of my own she can use and this one can be passed along to her younger sister who is 8.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

I would not start her on a Mossberg. They have the most perceived recoil of any 20ga I've shot. I've heard even the Mossberg 410 has a good bit of perceived recoil for a 410.

I bought a Mossberg Bantam 20 and 870 Youth 20 for my kids and after shooting, the Mossberg had to go. The 870 managed recoil far better. The 870 Youth also comes with stock shims for them to grow into it even as an adult. A gas auto has even less recoil than the 870, but I prefer to start kids off with a pump or single. That said, an auto can be used as a single to help with recoil, then utilized as they grow. The Wby SA-08 20ga comes in a Compact Youth model with shorter LOP stock. You can buy an adult stock to use when they get older.

My BIL also bought the gun you have linked for my nephew and they had me shoot it last year right before season. The thing kicked like a mule to me with lead turkey loads, much like a 3" 12ga. He just wanted a wiggle room pattern for up close. Sad thing was the gun shot so high, I had to drop to a modified choke to even make it usable. The factory sights didn't have enough adjustment, not even close. With a mod an lead #5 the pattern would spread enough to work out to about 25yds tops. He didn't have enough time to buy an optic at that point, so I just told him to keep it closer than 25 if they got on a bird. The Bantam I bought shot really high as well, but I had an optic on it, so it wasn't a big deal.
aristico

Post by aristico »

Thanks for that piece of info...
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Ron, be curious to know what load you were shooting out of the Mossy. Have not found perceived recoil the issue. If anything, the gun is lighter than the 870 which would make actual recoil more, but to quantify it in foot pounds would require use of any recoil calculator online. My SB also had stock shims as well as a certificate for a reduced cost adult stock when needed. Gil
Spurhunter

Post by Spurhunter »

The Mossberg 20 ga. youth as already stated has substantial recoil. I know my friend bought one for his son and I shot it and it is not very youth friendly.

I started my son's out on a Remington 870 20ga youth. It was a special addition at the time of purchase and came with a beautiful laminated stock. I paired it with a Jellyhead choke tube,hevi-shot #6's and put tru-glo sights on it. It is a turkey slaying boom stick! When my youngest son was ready to start hunting and use the gun his LOP was shorter than the stock would accommodate so I purchased a Remington compact stock which as most of you know has spacers, it also came with an R3 recoil pad. It worked out great and it has slain many a turkey. I re-installed the original laminated stock. It has been a great firearm.

BTW - when first patterning I was using light field loads just to let them get used to the feel of the gun and not create a recoil shy hunter.
Harrington's Hunting & Outdoor Products LLC

Preserving Hunting Memories for a Lifetime

View my products at:
http://www.Etsy.com - HarringtonOutdoor's

http://www.Ebay.com - Gobblergetter

NWTF Member
NRA Member
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

As many know I don't like the mossys either but still set up one or two per year. They also seem to kick a little harder as Ronny says although I have not done any scientific study.
The first youth shotgun I built, I built specifically because I don't feel like it's fair to a child to call a turkey into range that an adult would shoot every day yet the child could not. To limit a small child to a 25 yard shot and pattern just does not seem productive to me. Get the 20 youth and use one of the light TSS loads that Hal has and it will be good to 40 or 45 yards in case the bird doesn't make it to 25 yards.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

40 yard pattern from a shotgun I set up last years 1 1/4oz. Light recoil

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Return to “Gun Talk”