Tikka T3 Light?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
hobbes

Tikka T3 Light?

Post by hobbes »

Anyone familiar with a Tikka T3 Light? Any input? A Kimber Montana would be nice, among others, but the Tikka is more in my price range.

I've been carrying a Rem. Model 700 SPF in 7 mm mag that weighs in at 7 5/8 (according to Remington). I've got too much scope on it right now and a bipod with sling. I'm easily packing around 10 lbs. I like the gun and have no intentions of getting rid of it, but would like to put something together that is a little lighter. I've currently got a scope on it that has too much magnification that would be better suited for varmint hunting, but it was a scope that I had at the time. I'm sure I could just replace the scope and make it a lot lighter. The bipod could go, but it's incredible how handy that can be and how much more stable it is than a seperate set of sticks.

I've read quite a few good reports on the T3 light, so am considering one in 7mm mag (I like the round and it's readily available). Maybe a lighter 3x9ish scope and a bipod.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Tikka T3 Light?

Post by Spuriosity »

hobbes wrote:Anyone familiar with a Tikka T3 Light? Any input? A Kimber Montana would be nice, among others, but the Tikka is more in my price range.

I've been carrying a Rem. Model 700 SPF in 7 mm mag that weighs in at 7 5/8 (according to Remington). I've got too much scope on it right now and a bipod with sling. I'm easily packing around 10 lbs. I like the gun and have no intentions of getting rid of it, but would like to put something together that is a little lighter. I've currently got a scope on it that has too much magnification that would be better suited for varmint hunting, but it was a scope that I had at the time. I'm sure I could just replace the scope and make it a lot lighter. The bipod could go, but it's incredible how handy that can be and how much more stable it is than a seperate set of sticks.

I've read quite a few good reports on the T3 light, so am considering one in 7mm mag (I like the round and it's readily available). Maybe a lighter 3x9ish scope and a bipod.
I have two of them, both stainless and synthetic, a 7mm-08 and a 30-06. I couldn't be happier with them. They weigh about 6 lbs empty. The 7mm-08 with a Swaro 3-9 x 36 in lightweight Talley rings weighs 7 lb with sling. The 30-06 with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 40 in Warne steel rings weighs 7.5 lbs with sling. They are a joy to carry and both are capable of sub MOA groups with ammo they like. Mine are the T3s of a few years ago. Tikka now makes the T3x, which I have not seen. It has some notable improvements, one of which that is essential is a functional recoil pad. The older T3s had what amounted to a hard, thin rubber pad. I put Limbsavers on both of mine. The 30-06 kicks like a mule. In fact, Shooter shot it and said it was the hardest kicking 30-06 he had ever shot. So in 7mm mag, you will definitely want to put one on it if you don't get the newer model that comes with one.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I've heard good things about em from a few folks, never actually shot one. If you decide to spend more the Kimber should definitely be on your list. I have an 84L, classic select, that is very lightweight, beautiful, and shoots really well. I think it's right at 7lbs with the 3-10x42 Swarovski on top.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I had a 270 WSM and sold it to Reloader, is was a sure nuff shooter.
I have a 223 and there are no flies on it either. It is a great little gun and is always fun to shoot.
I want a 7-08 in one but not sure what I would do with it, as I already have that cal. covered in spades.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Does it have a plastic gas shroud on the bolt??
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

It looks like the T3 does have a plastic bolt shroud, but the newer T3x had a metal shroud.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

hobbes wrote:It looks like the T3 does have a plastic bolt shroud, but the newer T3x had a metal shroud.
This^^^^^
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I have been around a few and I don't think you could do better for the money. They are just shooters.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse sell the Superlight version that's lighter yet. I would rather sit and hold a Kimber, but I'd rather hunt with and shoot a Tikka. The T3, chambered for a short action cartridge, is a pleasure to run.

Be aware that light guns are harder to shoot well, and even more difficult with a harder recoiling round. You may not feel as comfortable on longer shots or even shorter no-wiggle-room shots with the lighter rig.

7.625 + 0.8125 + 0.1875 = 8 5/8# for the 7mm with a Swarovski 3-9x and Tally or DNZ mounts. I think the Swaro Z3 or a Tikka cost about the same.
Dub

Post by Dub »

Spuriosity wrote:
hobbes wrote:Anyone familiar with a Tikka T3 Light? Any input? A Kimber Montana would be nice, among others, but the Tikka is more in my price range.

I have two of them, both stainless and synthetic, a 7mm-08 and a 30-06. I couldn't be happier with them. They weigh about 6 lbs empty. The 7mm-08 with a Swaro 3-9 x 36 in lightweight Talley rings weighs 7 lb with sling. The 30-06 with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 40 in Warne steel rings weighs 7.5 lbs with sling. They are a joy to carry and both are capable of sub MOA groups with ammo they like. Mine are the T3s of a few years ago. Tikka now makes the T3x, which I have not seen. It has some notable improvements, one of which that is essential is a functional recoil pad. The older T3s had what amounted to a hard, thin rubber pad. I put Limbsavers on both of mine. The 30-06 kicks like a mule. In fact, Shooter shot it and said it was the hardest kicking 30-06 he had ever shot. So in 7mm mag, you will definitely want to put one on it if you don't get the newer model that comes with one.

Glad I read this.

Just got around to mounting a scope on my T3 270WSM.

I notice that the recoil pad is not much in the way of cushioning. I have a Limbsaver pad that I think I will go ahead and put on it before the first range trip.

Glad I read your post, thanks.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

So how do you like your Meopta? Just sold the older Swaro Habicht Nova 3-9x36 I had on the 7mm-08 to get a newer model scope with a larger objective lens for a little better low light capability. I'm leaning toward a Swaro Z3 3-10x42, but am also looking at a Meopta 3.5-10x44. I've heard awfully good things about the Meoptas, and have an older Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that was made by Meopta that I like very much. Cameraland has those Meoptas on sale right now for $350 (reg. $600). That's a heck of a deal. Only thing I like better about the Swaro is the weight, 12.7 oz vs 17 for the Meopta.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Spuriosity wrote:So how do you like your Meopta? Just sold the older Swaro Habicht Nova 3-9x36 I had on the 7mm-08 to get a newer model scope with a larger objective lens for a little better low light capability. I'm leaning toward a Swaro Z3 3-10x42, but am also looking at a Meopta 3.5-10x44. I've heard awfully good things about the Meoptas, and have an older Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that was made by Meopta that I like very much. Cameraland has those Meoptas on sale right now for $350 (reg. $600). That's a heck of a deal. Only thing I like better about the Swaro is the weight, 12.7 oz vs 17 for the Meopta.
Low light you say??? Quit being a cheapskate, and bite the bullet like I did, and get a Loopy VX6, or 3i.
I've seen some for $700, but the 30mm tube and higher powers are a little more.
The low light qualities are incredible.
Looks like $470 on the VX3i.
Dub

Post by Dub »

Spuriosity wrote:So how do you like your Meopta? Just sold the older Swaro Habicht Nova 3-9x36 I had on the 7mm-08 to get a newer model scope with a larger objective lens for a little better low light capability. I'm leaning toward a Swaro Z3 3-10x42, but am also looking at a Meopta 3.5-10x44. I've heard awfully good things about the Meoptas, and have an older Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that was made by Meopta that I like very much. Cameraland has those Meoptas on sale right now for $350 (reg. $600). That's a heck of a deal. Only thing I like better about the Swaro is the weight, 12.7 oz vs 17 for the Meopta.

I like the Meopta really well. My other hunting rifle has a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x50mm on it. I had them both out on the deck the other evening after sunset and was goofing around looking into the shadows and such. Impressive glass.....especially when one considers the sale price I bought it for last year from CameralandNY....same as you stated there. I've never seen as scope in this price range do so well....clarity is there and it's bright glass.

That being said....I'm fairly certain that if I spend premium funds for some upgraded glass on future rifles I will be looking hard at the Leupold VX6. Cabela's was recently running a heck of sale on them for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. The model I want is normally in the $1,400 range.....they had it for $900. German #4 illuminated with CDS turret. It's really hard to evaluate one in the store, even though their store is fairly dark.... I'm hoping that a buddy or two will take the plunge first and I can get some real world intel on them.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

[quote="Shooter"][quote="Spuriosity"]So how do you like your Meopta? Just sold the older Swaro Habicht Nova 3-9x36 I had on the 7mm-08 to get a newer model scope with a larger objective lens for a little better low light capability. I'm leaning toward a Swaro Z3 3-10x42, but am also looking at a Meopta 3.5-10x44. I've heard awfully good things about the Meoptas, and have an older Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that was made by Meopta that I like very much. Cameraland has those Meoptas on sale right now for $350 (reg. $600). That's a heck of a

I'm not sure nearly $900 for a Swaro Z3 could exactly be described as being a cheapskate ;) , but I have heard good things about the VX6. Don't think the glass in the VX 3i is anywhere close to the Swaro. Not sure I need illumination. Seeing the crosshairs of the Swaro #4 reticle during legal shooting hours is not the problem. The real problem is being able to judge antlers in the last few minutes. For that I guess I really need to upgrade my binos, which is the next optics purchase in my future. I have an older Pentax SP 8x43, which was the best bino you could buy for $500 back when I bought them. They do really well til those last few minutes. I think that's where I need to bite the bullet and spend some more coin for Swaros, Leicas, or Zeiss. Although I am hearing really good things about the new Tract Toric binoculars. Tract is a new company started by a couple of ex Nikon execs that sells direct from the factory (Japanese) to the consumer, by-passing the middleman and the accompanying mark-up. Those binos are said to compete very well against alpha glass for around $650.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Dub wrote:

I like the Meopta really well. My other hunting rifle has a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x50mm on it. I had them both out on the deck the other evening after sunset and was goofing around looking into the shadows and such. Impressive glass.....especially when one considers the sale price I bought it for last year from CameralandNY....same as you stated there. I've never seen as scope in this price range do so well....clarity is there and it's bright glass.

That being said....I'm fairly certain that if I spend premium funds for some upgraded glass on future rifles I will be looking hard at the Leupold VX6. Cabela's was recently running a heck of sale on them for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. The model I want is normally in the $1,400 range.....they had it for $900. German #4 illuminated with CDS turret. It's really hard to evaluate one in the store, even though their store is fairly dark.... I'm hoping that a buddy or two will take the plunge first and I can get some real world intel on them.
Thanks for the reply on the Meopta. Never heard of anyone that bought one that wished they hadn't. That scope is a screaming deal at $350. Sorry for getting this post so far afield.
toasty

Post by toasty »

I just picked up a savage lightweight in 6.5 creedmore. Comes in at 5.6lbs. With my talley lightweights and leupold ultralight scope, I am sitting at 6.4lbs right now. I still need to finish load development and it is not "fun" to shoot, but it brings a smile to my face every time I lift it. Should make those 8-10 mile days much easier next fall.

Don't overlook the Kimber 84m hunter. It also comes in at 5.5lbs and only runs about $750 new if you can stand the ugly stock. If I had not found this savage on clearance at almost half that price, I would have got the Kimber.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's a problem with upgrading your scope. You have to upgrade binos at the same time or it'll bug the crap out of you. Well, me, that is.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

toasty wrote:I just picked up a savage lightweight in 6.5 creedmore. Comes in at 5.6lbs. With my talley lightweights and leupold ultralight scope, I am sitting at 6.4lbs right now. I still need to finish load development and it is not "fun" to shoot, but it brings a smile to my face every time I lift it. Should make those 8-10 mile days much easier next fall.

Don't overlook the Kimber 84m hunter. It also comes in at 5.5lbs and only runs about $750 new if you can stand the ugly stock. If I had not found this savage on clearance at almost half that price, I would have got the Kimber.
Yep,our local gunshop had 1 in that model and it was sweet!!The Kimber that is!!
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Spuriosity wrote:
Shooter wrote:
Spuriosity wrote:So how do you like your Meopta? Just sold the older Swaro Habicht Nova 3-9x36 I had on the 7mm-08 to get a newer model scope with a larger objective lens for a little better low light capability. I'm leaning toward a Swaro Z3 3-10x42, but am also looking at a Meopta 3.5-10x44. I've heard awfully good things about the Meoptas, and have an older Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that was made by Meopta that I like very much. Cameraland has those Meoptas on sale right now for $350 (reg. $600). That's a heck of a

I'm not sure nearly $900 for a Swaro Z3 could exactly be described as being a cheapskate ;) , but I have heard good things about the VX6. Don't think the glass in the VX 3i is anywhere close to the Swaro. Not sure I need illumination. Seeing the crosshairs of the Swaro #4 reticle during legal shooting hours is not the problem. The real problem is being able to judge antlers in the last few minutes. For that I guess I really need to upgrade my binos, which is the next optics purchase in my future. I have an older Pentax SP 8x43, which was the best bino you could buy for $500 back when I bought them. They do really well til those last few minutes. I think that's where I need to bite the bullet and spend some more coin for Swaros, Leicas, or Zeiss. Although I am hearing really good things about the new Tract Toric binoculars. Tract is a new company started by a couple of ex Nikon execs that sells direct from the factory (Japanese) to the consumer, by-passing the middleman and the accompanying mark-up. Those binos are said to compete very well against alpha glass for around $650.
Look at Zen Ray bino's, Ronny bought a pair after looking thru mine. I did a side by side with Swaro EL that a buddy of mine has at dusk til dark, I could not see the difference. I ask him what he thought about them, " well if you think I am going to tell you that a $400 pair of bino's is as good as my $2000 pair, your crazy, but they are really, really, close".....
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Yep, Zen-Rays are a screaming value, and a solid choice.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I could have picked up the Tikka t3x in 7mm Mag or 300 WSM last week when my wife said "buy it for Christmas" while I was holding it, $699 and $749. However, I need to hold off and put back some more cash first (I've spent too much everywhere else for Christmas, not to mention a new set of tires that were needed). I've went back and forth with 270 WSM, 300 WSM, or 7RM, but I believe I've settled back onto the 7RM. I think I've also settled onto buying a Leupold 3xi 3.5-10x40 CDS. I see the 3xi for as low as $395. I've also considered a brake to reduce recoil, but I'm not sure that I can stand the increased volume. I can protect my ears at the range, but I don't carry ear protection while hunting.

My Zen-Rays have performed well, but I don't know that their construction is on par with Swaros. They plastic eycup pieces have come off due to poor adhesive and I don't think the glass is as bright as it was when I bought them. I use mine well in the mountains, even carry them while turkey hunting, but I wouldn't put them in the class with a pair of swaro's.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I would not get a muzzle brake unless you can commit to passing on shots when you don't have hearing protection on. Do it once and you'll start letting them walk if you can't. Better yet just learn from the misfortune of others and just don't ever do it. The only thing I'll shoot now without at least those Allen Sound Sensors on is a turkey.

If you haven't, compare the action of the short and regular magnums. The extra support of the bolt by the action makes the short mag Tikkas slicker.
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

I've had a Tikka T3 Lite since 2006. Great gun and I've killed some critters with it over the years. I've also tweaked it a little as well.

Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM
B&C Stock
Aluminum Bolt Shroud
Bolt Spiral Fluted by Kampfeld Customs
Talley Lightweight Rings
Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50
Trigger adjusted to 3 lbs.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

01Foreman400 wrote:I've had a Tikka T3 Lite since 2006. Great gun and I've killed some critters with it over the years. I've also tweaked it a little as well.

Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM
B&C Stock
Aluminum Bolt Shroud
Bolt Spiral Fluted by Kampfeld Customs
Talley Lightweight Rings
Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50
Trigger adjusted to 3 lbs.

nice set up! I like it!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
wvmntnhick

Post by wvmntnhick »

Might I suggest a brighter light? :LMAO:

Return to “Gun Talk”