Best Holographic or Reflex Sight?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
BeardBuster

Best Holographic or Reflex Sight?

Post by BeardBuster »

I'm going to a 20 gauge this year with TSS and need your recommendations on the best sight to get. I have an Eotech on my 12 gauge that I really like but I would prefer something with a little less bulk. I know a lot of folks like the Burris FFIII but is it really the best small reflex sight? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Best Holographic or Reflex Sight?

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I think the Docter sights are pretty legit......I'm a bead guy though.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
USMC0331

Post by USMC0331 »

FFIII are pretty good. Aimpoint and Trijicon are top of the line.
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

I was looking hard the Trijicon adjustable LED RM06 (3.25 MOA) sight and then I started reading about some problems that several have had with the sight basically shutting down after shooting. I know Trijicon has a good reputation but I don't want those kind of problems.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

In my opinion the best is the Trijicon RMR-04 that does not use a battery and therefore can't fail to light up however it is hard to go wrong with the FF2.

If I were purchasing another FF it would be the 2 rather than the 3 due to the simplicity of the slide switch over the push button. Much less likely to fail. I am speaking from experience on this.
USMC0331

Post by USMC0331 »

No sight will be 100% perfect. Aimpoint and Trijicon are very close. Look at the new low mount Trijicon MRO optic. It has outstanding glass and is extremely well built. Battery life on the Aimpoint is second to no one, Not sure on the Trijicon MRO but I believe it is between 3 and 5 years.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Aimpoint is my choice.. Never had a failure and the battery lasts for years, not weeks. They are pricey, but you only have to pay for them once!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

Which Aimpoint model would you recommend?
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I have a 7000, 9000 and a mini H1. The 7000 is out of production, I believe. I would go with the 9000sc. They are crazy tough and just plain work, every time.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

I've got a Trijicon Reflex 2 sight on my gun. Bought it used in 09 or 10 I think (maybe earlier?) and it was several years old when I got it. Never failed me yet. No on/off, no batteries dying, and no adjusting for light intensity (never had a problem not seeing the dot, even when aiming near a low but bright morning sun). I think there is a small nuclear reactor in there that powers it. :D

I called Trijicon and gave them the serial number. They said it should last until about 2019 or 20, maybe longer. Said I would notice it dimming and it wouldn't just suddenly go off. They can recharge the sight when needed, at least that's what they said about a year ago when I called them, but it would cost about $150 to do that and that was at a year ago prices.

The sight sits a bit high on the gun for my liking, but I can deal with that for the convenience of not having to turn the sight on or off or worry about batteries. After several weeks of early mornings I can turn into a space cadet and am sure I would forget to turn it on some morning at the moment of truth. I put a Beartooth comb raising kit on my stock so I can get my cheek snug on the stock and still see the sight.

Trijicon's Reflex 2 is a great sight. Its held up well in rain and snow and all the crap I put my gun through. Its such a good sight I am sure they quit making it. :D
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Hard to say what is a "best" sight. It depends on your needs and pocket book. I've had Aimpoints, Burris, Trijicon and Docter. All have done the job intended with no problems. The Aimpoint was an early military grade that sat on my long gone Benelli SBE. The Trijicon Reflexes, early models, sit on my 835 and Ithaca TS. Those three sights are definitely bigger and bulkier,weighing more than the Docter, the RMR and Burris FFIII's. I used the slip on neoprene sleeve with inserts to raise the comb for the Trijicons. A less glamorous way would have been to electrical tape longitudinally split pipe insulators to sit on top of the stock to raise the comb. It's now gotten to the point that one could put the Burris, Docter, or Trijicon RMR in a bag and draw any of the one out randomly and hunt to my heart's content for a long time with the luck of the draw. I started using red dots in 1998 when my eyes had trouble with beads and rifle sights in low light. Gil
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I have a RMR 07 on a Glock pistol. It is a new rig, but the sight seems to be very nice so far. Can't say about battery life, although they told me one year life expectancy, or so. It is much smaller than the traditional Aimpoint, and has a much better profile than the Aimpoint Mini's. That would be a viable option. You probably would want the RMR06 for the smaller dot size.
outlaw

Post by outlaw »

i got a vortex viper and love it i also have 2 leopold reflex deltapoints which im selling one of those nothing to put it on :turkeywave: :old_glory:
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Here is the Aimpoint 9000sc. Built like a tank and 5 year continuous battery life. $375-$400
Attachments
aimpoint.JPG
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

That's what I'm talkin' about!
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Aimpoint 9000sc - Fully waterproof, 5 year battery, feels indestructible.

I've had three prior red dots, two mid-line reflex sights and an expensive scope style. I did alot of hard, hard hunting with them. They were great....until they failed. The first one ate batteries like it was going out of style. The last one would wobble in and out of alignment. :shock: The third one, the scope style had water issues that I lived with until my gun failed. I finally decided to man up and do it right with my new rig.

I did a lot of research, read as many forum posts as I could, and the Aimpoint stood out above any other. It's not cheap, but the learning curve on sights isn't cheap either (believe me, the emotional cost is a heavy toll).

Gar commander said it best when he said it is built like a tank. A tank is whatcha want when you go after Mr. Longbeard. :struttin:
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

thanks everyone...tough decision. Aimpoint sounds like the real deal.

Return to “Gun Talk”