help with my M2

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

help with my M2

Post by drenalinld »

So my M2 shoots high and left with extended turkey chokes and turkey loads. It was probably 18" left and 12" high shooting factory beads with Carlson, Sumtoy and IC chokes. This was the case with factory HW 7's as well as handloaded TSS. I corrected this at 40 yards with a set of adjustable fiber optic sights. So I was thinking if I had to make such a big correction to get pattern centered at 40 it would not be centered at short distance. I shot a progression and this is what is looked like. This progression was shot before I had the pattern adjusted all the way to center at 40.

10 yards. low and right.

20 yards. Slightly left.

30 yards. Slightly high and left.

40 yards. I can't find the pattern but it was higher and more left. I had to move sights even further to get it centered at 40. This means it is even more low and right at 10. How does one deal with this?? I don't think an FFIII will help with this issue.

I need to try the factory full and see if it shoots POA.

Any suggestions?
RapscallionVermilion

help with my M2

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

I think an FFIII, or any other optic, would help a lot. If you zero for 40 you shouldn't be off by more than an inch or so for close range. The line of site of the FF3 is still going to be very close to the end of the barrel and any line from that to the target.
DC1.

Re: help with my M2

Post by DC1. »

Have you changed the stock shims?
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Carlson 575 did well in mine as did factory full and factory modified.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

So what did Benelli say they'd do for you if it doesn't fall within the specs?
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I really don't know how to help you but I had a similar problem with a 887 bone collector Remington. I really liked that gun but straight out of box it shot 12" low at 40. I sent it back to Remington they said they fixed it but they didn't. Ended up trading it in on a 935 Mossberg at whittakers gun shop. 935 has worked flawlessly for me. Love that gun.
I shoot factory bead sights cause ive never been to keen on mounting any kind of optics on a shotgun for turkey. Me personally dont think a shotgun should shoot that much off. I know some of you guys have been at it longer than me but I think a shotgun should shoot pretty close poi to poa. I think you should contact benelli. :thumbup:
Good luck with it hope it turns out in your favor.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

help with my M2

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Benelli won't do anything...They will tell you it's fine.

I'm would assume you started at 10 or so yards and got the pattern centered up, the slowly got further away with your shots?

That's how I do mine.

What adjustable sights did you buy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

help with my M2

Post by drenalinld »

TrueGlo pro series magnum gobble dot sights.

Benelli said if it was 2" or more off on windage at 20 yards with factory full they would replace barrel and/or whatever needed to get it in spec.

In this pic you can see how far to the right my rear dots are to get on at 40. Left dot is almost in center of vent rib.

WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

help with my M2

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Looks like any sight set up on a Benelli..Little tip move that rear sight back as far as you can and when you adjust the sliding part to go down you can gain a little bit where rip slopes down.

If you send it back keep us posted I'd be interested in hearing what they do.

Also shims have never seemed to help me.I run Z shims in both my m2s

At the end of the day it's pretty sad we spend $1300 on a gun and it won't hit where you aim,but yet a $250 mossberg does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

help with my M2

Post by drenalinld »

Not convinced it's the gun yet. Will let you know after I shoot it with factory full.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

drenalinld wrote:Not convinced it's the gun yet. Will let you know after I shoot it with factory full.

Off of sand Bags ! :thumbup:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I can't understand why it is to the right at 10, and then to the left on all others. Weird!!!
Up and down is pretty common in shotguns, but being right and then left???? :dontknow:
My Stoeger shot a foot low when new with dove loads and handloaded turkey loads. I put it in a press with a mic, and gradually bent it til it came dead on.
K9Doc

Post by K9Doc »

Been there with a 11-87. Sold it
USMC0331

Post by USMC0331 »

I have owned several Benelli shotguns. Upland Super 90 ,M1,M2,Super Black Eagle, and the Nova. Only the Nova shot POA/POI with factory chokes and does pretty good with the Rhino, Comp-n- Choke, Sumtoy,Kicks and Undertaker. As for the rest of the Benelli shotguns you will have to use either a adjustable sight or a red dot. As someone posted earlier, I contacted Benelli , sent two back and when they came back they were not any better. I love the feel and the simplicity of how the Benelli works and easily maintained but it is not my first choice for a turkey weapon due to the fact I had the same issues you did. If you can deal with adjustable sights or red dot you are good to go. It's just a shame a $1300 + shotgun does not shoot closer to POA/POI. Makes me think in order to get their " Turkey gun" they have the Performance shop SBEII that is close to $3000.00 and you got it , a red dot is installed.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

DC1. wrote:Have you changed the stock shims?
I have not changed the stock shims. I could see this changing things if I was wing shooting but propped solid on a knee sitting in a lounger with fiber optic sights on a gun I am skeptical this would change anything.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Shooter wrote:I can't understand why it is to the right at 10, and then to the left on all others. Weird!!!
Up and down is pretty common in shotguns, but being right and then left???? :dontknow:
My Stoeger shot a foot low when new with dove loads and handloaded turkey loads. I put it in a press with a mic, and gradually bent it til it came dead on.

I have tried to sort this out in my feeble mind. There are only two explanations to me that would throw off windage. One is a bent barrel and the other is choke alignment. This is a crude drawing of how I view it with the sights. Tell me what you think. Only way I can make sense of right at short distance then getting more left.

RapscallionVermilion

help with my M2

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Yep, one or the other. It is often possible to detect a bent barrel by looking through it at a light source. You'll see rings that skew to one side.

Return to “Gun Talk”