Benelli M2 decisions to make.

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Well deer season is over and waterfowl season is wrapping up quickly. It is time to over think and tinker with my turkey set up.
I have two things I need help with a decision on.

First is should I have my M2 drilled and tapped :pale: for a 336 base and FF3?
The gun shoots poa, maybe a few inches high which is perfect. I have hunted with the FF3 before and loved the precision and confidence it gives you when you make the shot. I do not like having to worry about bumping it while I am running or crawling through the woods.

Second decision is should I stick with this .562 IC choke? Throws an awesome pattern on paper, but she is tight. Would love to get the 275/275 pattern, but it gets expensive chasing the perfect pattern you want.
Thoughts are appreciated, as of right now I am staying as is.
Here is pattern: 338 in 10" 228 in 20"
Attachments
339 10%22 228 20%22.jpg
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Benelli M2 decisions to make.

Post by gophert »

Yes, I would put a FF on it. I have put my 870 through all kinds of crap an only when I dropped my gun on a rock in a creek directly on the FF did I knock it off. Other than that, I have never had mine get knocked off POA.

I would not mess with the pattern at all. You've got a good 20" number. For sure one of the best 20 ga patterns I've seen.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I am in the exact same boat. Pondering the same things.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

drenalinld wrote:I am in the exact same boat. Pondering the same things.
Send me that m2. You won't need it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

Put a FF3 on it and be done with it.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Can't tell you whether to D/T the gun. Didn't I read that Benelli doesn't recommend it since the alloy receiver is so thin? OTOH, I would not shoot a pattern that tight without a red dot, and I love my FF III. But your eyes are considerably younger than mine. As to the question of choke, I can't believe that the guru of shotgun chokes is asking for advice; you're usually the one giving it. That is one stellar pattern and probably doesn't need any help. I imagine JD will be posting shortly telling you to get a Carlson's .585, and that's probably not bad advice if they make one for that gun.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I have read others stating when they called Benelli and asked them about D/T M2 receiver they did not recommend it. I have also read that some M2's are D/T from the factory. Hmmm
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

drenalinld wrote:I have read others stating when they called Benelli and asked them about D/T M2 receiver they did not recommend it. I have also read that some M2's are D/T from the factory. Hmmm
The M2's that are D/T from the factory are slug guns ! The receiver is thicker therefor ok to D/T. I was told this by a Benelli Rep. :thumbup:
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Spuriosity wrote:Can't tell you whether to D/T the gun. Didn't I read that Benelli doesn't recommend it since the alloy receiver is so thin? OTOH, I would not shoot a pattern that tight without a red dot, and I love my FF III. But your eyes are considerably younger than mine. As to the question of choke, I can't believe that the guru of shotgun chokes is asking for advice; you're usually the one giving it. That is one stellar pattern and probably doesn't need any help. I imagine JD will be posting shortly telling you to get a Carlson's .585, and that's probably not bad advice if they make one for that gun.
It is pretty easy to give advice on what will look good on paper, but sometimes the best paper pattern and best hunting pattern are not the same. The numbers are a little inflated because that shell had some 400 count 9's in it. I think it would be a 300/200 patten with 370 count 9's. I am a little hurt that JD hasn't jumped n with a suggestion yet. :cry:

I think when Benelli warns against the drilling/tapping they are thinking people are going to put on a scope. I can't imagine it would take much metal to hold/support a FF. I was more concerned with some stories I read where gunsmiths had trouble actually getting the holes drilled in the receiver.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

el diablo wrote:
Spuriosity wrote:Can't tell you whether to D/T the gun. Didn't I read that Benelli doesn't recommend it since the alloy receiver is so thin? OTOH, I would not shoot a pattern that tight without a red dot, and I love my FF III. But your eyes are considerably younger than mine. As to the question of choke, I can't believe that the guru of shotgun chokes is asking for advice; you're usually the one giving it. That is one stellar pattern and probably doesn't need any help. I imagine JD will be posting shortly telling you to get a Carlson's .585, and that's probably not bad advice if they make one for that gun.
It is pretty easy to give advice on what will look good on paper, but sometimes the best paper pattern and best hunting pattern are not the same. The numbers are a little inflated because that shell had some 400 count 9's in it. I think it would be a 300/200 patten with 370 count 9's. I am a little hurt that JD hasn't jumped n with a suggestion yet. :cry:

I think when Benelli warns against the drilling/tapping they are thinking people are going to put on a scope. I can't imagine it would take much metal to hold/support a FF. I was more concerned with some stories I read where gunsmiths had trouble actually getting the holes drilled in the receiver.
My good buddy in PA took his M2 to a world class gunsmith . The gunsmith took one look at it said he wouldn't touch it. Said the metal was WAY TOO THIN.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well Chokemeister, as Wes said, can't believe you're asking for advice on chokes!! :toothy7:

My M 1 was D/T already when I bought it, but it was aftermarket. I just put plugs back in.
As for chokes, Ricky tells me the .555 is too tight. I bought a Carlson's flush .575 and never looked back.
I'm getting a consistant 230 in the 10 with straight 8s. Looks pretty much like a strong 15" pattern.

BTW,... Thought you got rid of that M 2??
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Let's put this in perspective. You've got 228 in the 10-20" ring as is - which is almost as many as a 1-1/4 oz load of hevi 6s has in the whole shell. Plus you've probably got another 50 or so outside of the 20". So, though you're not going to be as tight as 336 in the 10" sounds at first blush. So, you ain't too shabby as is.

But with all that excess in the 10", I'd be tempted to see how it looked with something more open.

Did you try the factory full yet? I had a couple guys tell me they liked the factory full best out of that gun...
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Shooter wrote:Well Chokemeister, as Wes said, can't believe you're asking for advice on chokes!! :toothy7:

My M 1 was D/T already when I bought it, but it was aftermarket. I just put plugs back in.
As for chokes, Ricky tells me the .555 is too tight. I bought a Carlson's flush .575 and never looked back.
I'm getting a consistant 230 in the 10 with straight 8s. Looks pretty much like a strong 15" pattern.

BTW,... Thought you got rid of that M 2??
I got rid of the one you saw, got the 21" barrel 12 gauge model, then traded it to get 20 gauge M2 I have now. This one has a 24" barrel.
Trading has been fun, but gonna stick with this one.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

hawglips wrote:Let's put this in perspective. You've got 228 in the 10-20" ring as is - which is almost as many as a 1-1/4 oz load of hevi 6s has in the whole shell. Plus you've probably got another 50 or so outside of the 20". So, though you're not going to be as tight as 336 in the 10" sounds at first blush. So, you ain't too shabby as is.

But with all that excess in the 10", I'd be tempted to see how it looked with something more open.

Did you try the factory full yet? I had a couple guys tell me they liked the factory full best out of that gun...
Haven't tried the factory full. Thinking of trying the Carlson's. Tried the Carlson's and this shell in a Franchi Affinity and it did like 230 in 10" and 200 in 20". Not quite the same gun obviously, but very similar. In IC seems to be very consistent.

I feel like if a fella can wake up from a nap and whack one with plain beads, with sleep in his eye, with a smaller payload, then I should be able to shoot one without aid of a red dot. lol
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

So what other option is there if you recommend not to d&t? I am about to d&t my franchi. There is no speed head for a 20!

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I like shooting the bead if the gun allows. My M2 with the factory full is perfect with the bead. Screw in an IC .555...not so much. I shoot the factory full. That is a beautiful pattern, but I'd hafta try to open it up some.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I love to shoot factory beads. WW, I need to try the factory full. If it is POA=POI, I will shoot it in a heart beat. Bet it would be very nice with the 1-7/8 oz...lol

I just got off the phone with Benelli Technical support. Their specification for warranty is 2" left or right at 20 yards with factory full choke and 7.5 field loads. I will try this first.

Additionally, they assured me drilling and tapping was fine. There is no difference in the D&T'd receivers on the slug guns and the regular M2's. They even now offer an M2 20 turkey special from the custom shop with an FFIII installed.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

killerstump wrote:So what other option is there if you recommend not to d&t? I am about to d&t my franchi. There is no speed head for a 20!

Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Dot Pro Series Sights ! :thumbup:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

el diablo wrote: I feel like if a fella can wake up from a nap and whack one with plain beads, with sleep in his eye, with a smaller payload, then I should be able to shoot one without aid of a red dot. lol
Makes sense to me!

:)
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

I've got 2 M2's 20's that have been drilled and tapped with no problems. One is on it's 5th season.

Return to “Gun Talk”