M1 vs M2 Benelli

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

M1 vs M2 Benelli

Post by Shooter »

Ricky and I were talking the other day, and he couldn't understand why the little 20s bolt/slide/spring froze up and got sluggish enough, that it wouldn't cycle while trying to get some multiple shots on some Mallards the other morn.
We started talking about the Wolf spring upgrade. I asked, where exactly does it go?? He said it goes on the Mag tube. His is an M2 by the way. I said, that's where my Stoeger spring is, but my M1 spring is in the stock, and has a rod that sticks out the back of the bolt and mates with a cup, and the spring is behind the cup, going backwards into the stock.
Well, we both learned something about the differences in the two that day. All this time, I thought the only difference was a half pound, and a little different forearm.
Yep, the other day I fell in the swamp and dunked Little Nelli. Brought it home and cleaned it, didn't realize I needed to take the stock off too.
Guess some water got in the stock spring and froze the morn it was 24 degrees. Mallards came in, got one shot, and,... CLICK.
Looked, and bolt was half open. Oh well, learned something that day. Don't drop your gun in the water!!!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
SANY0001 (5).JPG
SANY0002 (5).JPG
SANY0003 (5).JPG
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: M1 vs M2 Benelli

Post by soiltester »

And don't leave it on yer' pond/ flooded timber seat, while you go and relieve yer'self, or your retriever may knock into the drink also :violent1:
Like my buddy said, I always wondered what a Benelli sounded like, going under water and now I know. Just like I thought. blub, blub, blub blub :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

M1 vs M2 Benelli

Post by killerstump »

Mmmmm donutsssssss mmmmmm reesessssssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I may have read your post wrong Tommy, but the Wolf spring goes in the rod you have pictured on the M2. Not the mag tube. Still fairly certain there is hardly difference in m1 and m2 except for choke system and cosmetic differences.
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

el diablo wrote:I may have read your post wrong Tommy, but the Wolf spring goes in the rod you have pictured on the M2. Not the mag tube. Still fairly certain there is hardly difference in m1 and m2 except for choke system and cosmetic differences.
And a Crio barrel. The M2 has a stainless recoil spring as well. I've had to change out several M1's and SBE's recoil springs. I replaced them all with a Surecycle. I also change the magazine spring with a Surecyle while I'm at it.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

I'm having a hard time following your post.

The magazine spring just pushes the shells towards the bolt to be reloaded. The spring in the stock (the recoil spring) drives the bolt forward. They perform totally different functions. I don't know about the M1 or M2 but I am sure the mag spring does not work the bolt on either.

The recoil spring is the weak link in the Benelli action. I have an SBE and it gets wet all the time while waterfowling with no problem...most of the time. Trouble comes when the gun gets wet with the action open, like after you shoot 3 times. Then the bolt is locked back and the recoil spring has no seal because it is compressed. Water could get in the tube that houses the recoil spring.

This happened to me once when I tripped in the river after shooting 3 times. I had to take the stock off and unscrew the recoil spring from the gun. Then I had to remover the spring from the tube to clean everything. Not an easy process and it required heating the tube with a torch to loosen the bolt that kept the spring in. There is a youtube on the procedure.

I got my SBE back up and running for the season, but went with the stainless steel one afterwards. Now I am more careful what I do with my SBE when the bolt is open...mostly close it right away even if more shells aren't handy.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

el diablo wrote:I may have read your post wrong Tommy, but the Wolf spring goes in the rod you have pictured on the M2. Not the mag tube. Still fairly certain there is hardly difference in m1 and m2 except for choke system and cosmetic differences.
No Derrick, you did not misread my post. Maybe I misunderstood Ricky. I have only seen two M2s with my own eyes.
Yours and Rickys, and never taken apart though. Hoping Ricky will chime in here and straighten this out.

And for those of you that has never seen an inertia driven system that uses a return spring on the Mag tube,... here it is open and closed.
Attachments
SANY0005 (6).JPG
SANY0004 (4).JPG
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Sorry Tommy ! I misunderstood you when we were talking about the Wolf spring which is the recoil spring that goes in the stock. The very first pic you posted is where it goes. Like stated by Treerooster the bolt on the end of the tube has to be heated to remove the factory spring & replaced with the Wolf spring. Sorry for the confusion ! :thumbup:
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

M1 vs M2 Benelli

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

They call it the wolf spring because if your finger is in the bolt it will eat it like a wolf!!

Best money I spent well other then buying a Benelli of course

The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

M1 vs M2 Benelli

Post by drenalinld »

Yep. Recoil spring in stock. Spring light enough for 2-3/4" bird loads is not fast enough for wing shooting and is too easy to disengage resulting in Benelli click. Wolf spring added, problem solved. I have never experienced this with SBE or II with the freezing. Got me wet many times in freezing temps.
turkey_slayer

M1 vs M2 Benelli

Post by turkey_slayer »

I have an m2 and theres 4 m1's in the family. Only difference I can see is m1 has metal trigger guard and uses mobil instead of crio chokes. I had a good pic somewhere with a m1 and m2 laying side by side
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I know the M 1 is a half pound lighter also. I weighed mine and El Diablo's a few years back on digitals. Seems like I weighed VA's too.
It must have something to do with the Rubber added in the stock of the M 2.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well, heated the tube up yesterday and took the bolt out. Sure enough, the metal plunger which holds the spring and has the cup on the other side was all crudded up and still had a little moisture in it.
Fixin to take care of that. Don't know whether to use gun oil, or Gunslick grease in it, when I put it back together.
Gonna stretch the spring a fuzz too, should give it a touch more Uumph.
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

I've never opened a SBE or M1 up that didn't have rust in it.
Rick-618

Post by Rick-618 »

You do not want to gob that thing with grease. The best bet is to replace with a Sure Cycle. Powder residue and other debris will get in there, add moisture to the mix and it will slow cycle. Failure to breakdown and clean that spring and tube assy and it will rust. Wolf makes springs for both the mag tube and the recoil tube, I've only used them in the mag tube.

It's a failing on the original design that they used steel parts on a waterfowl gun that when told about the reps said the surecycle was unnecessary, yet that concept of stainless tube and spring is what the M2 and SBE2 came out with.

The few of M2's that I have had apart were the same as the M1 and SBE with the recoil spring in the stock, the Stoeger may have the spring around the mag tube.

And for anyone that tries to take that tube off the receiver there is a locktite/glue that will resist with a vengeance attempts to remove it. A little heat and a sharp hit with a hammer will break it free.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... d1422.aspx
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

M1 vs M2 Benelli

Post by slickyboyboo »

Tommy, you need you a SureCycle system, they are way better than factory. I got some buddies that all they do is duck hunt, and they all run SureCycle, without issue.

http://www.surecycle.com/index.php/sure ... nl-02.html

Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!

Return to “Gun Talk”