star Dot question

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

star Dot question

Post by Hoobilly »

Last I heard.. star dot was out of business.
Were they bought out?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
firedup

Re: star Dot question

Post by firedup »

Not sure about being bought out or what happened. I think the originals were made by Colonial Arms. Then Highland Sports made a version of it, or that is the story on the net. The originals are highly sought after. Glad I got mine back in the day. They are really outstanding chokes in the 835's. That I know for sure... :thumbup:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

thanks for the info..

I am wanting to buy a star dot for a Remington and Mossberg 835/935 etc
or at least borrow to pattern test for a couple days

firedup

Post by firedup »

You will need 2. I am thinking the thread pattern for Rem and 835 are different. check ebay. there was quite a few on there a while back. some affordable. the 835 choke was over $200 :shock:
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I have one for a Remington 870. I hadn't heard they were real sought after. I would part with it, haven't used it in years.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Tail Feathers wrote:I have one for a Remington 870. I hadn't heard they were real sought after. I would part with it, haven't used it in years.
how much? I can paypal or money order you funds

Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

PM sent back to you hoobilly.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
TheLionsFan

Post by TheLionsFan »

firedup wrote:Not sure about being bought out or what happened. I think the originals were made by Colonial Arms. Then Highland Sports made a version of it, or that is the story on the net. The originals are highly sought after. Glad I got mine back in the day. They are really outstanding chokes in the 835's. That I know for sure... :thumbup:

My buddies call me pathetic because I know more about the Star Dot choke tube "legend" than the back of my own hand..

Anyway. they didnt get bought out. Colonial Arms had the design for Highlander Sports and made the chokes for them until Highlander wasnt paying up. So Colonial Arms and Highlander basically "separated". Then PTC Technologies took the Star Dot name and paid Colonial Arms to make the same choke, however (and I have more to look into on this detail), I believe the PTC "Star Dot" has 1 or 2 more ports in the choke than the Highlander one. PTC doesnt exist anymore, or at least nothing to do with choke tubes anyway. However, Colonial Arms still is in business and makes basically the same exact choke as the original Star Dot, which is a .676 constriction. Surprisingly, I havent heard of any pattern numbers on the Colonial .676.

Will the PTC and Highlander pattern the same? Im willing to bet they're identical. However, if you really want the TRUE Star Dot 835 choke, the Highlander Sports Star Dot is the "original".

On a related note, some will say too that if you find one that has a knurled end you know you have a Highlander, where if you have a straight end you have the PTC version. This is incorrect. Highlander put out both. Must have been a chance in machinery or something, who knows.

Hey...this is my first post by the way.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

All this Stardot craziness started because Reloader shot a couple of 500+ patterns with 2 1/4 oz of Hevishot back in 2008 or 2009. :mrgreen:
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

TheLionsFan wrote:
firedup wrote:Not sure about being bought out or what happened. I think the originals were made by Colonial Arms. Then Highland Sports made a version of it, or that is the story on the net. The originals are highly sought after. Glad I got mine back in the day. They are really outstanding chokes in the 835's. That I know for sure... :thumbup:

My buddies call me pathetic because I know more about the Star Dot choke tube "legend" than the back of my own hand..

Anyway. they didnt get bought out. Colonial Arms had the design for Highlander Sports and made the chokes for them until Highlander wasnt paying up. So Colonial Arms and Highlander basically "separated". Then PTC Technologies took the Star Dot name and paid Colonial Arms to make the same choke, however (and I have more to look into on this detail), I believe the PTC "Star Dot" has 1 or 2 more ports in the choke than the Highlander one. PTC doesnt exist anymore, or at least nothing to do with choke tubes anyway. However, Colonial Arms still is in business and makes basically the same exact choke as the original Star Dot, which is a .676 constriction. Surprisingly, I havent heard of any pattern numbers on the Colonial .676.

Will the PTC and Highlander pattern the same? Im willing to bet they're identical. However, if you really want the TRUE Star Dot 835 choke, the Highlander Sports Star Dot is the "original".

On a related note, some will say too that if you find one that has a knurled end you know you have a Highlander, where if you have a straight end you have the PTC version. This is incorrect. Highlander put out both. Must have been a chance in machinery or something, who knows.

Hey...this is my first post by the way.
welcome to Gobblernation! and thanks for the info :thumbup:

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

slickyboyboo wrote:All this Stardot craziness started because Reloader shot a couple of 500+ patterns with 2 1/4 oz of Hevishot back in 2008 or 2009. :mrgreen:
and I believe that was with the one I sold him.. I had bought one at Walmart and then bought another tube and liked how it patterned with Hevishot better than the Stardot.

slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

hoobilly wrote:
slickyboyboo wrote:All this Stardot craziness started because Reloader shot a couple of 500+ patterns with 2 1/4 oz of Hevishot back in 2008 or 2009. :mrgreen:
and I believe that was with the one I sold him.. I had bought one at Walmart and then bought another tube and liked how it patterned with Hevishot better than the Stardot.
I just know one thing, it was a dang shooter, that's for sure! I had one for my 870, and it didn't pattern the 2 1/4 oz load the best, but it produced the best pattern I ever had out of a 2 7/16 oz. That said, the 2 7/16 oz could never hang with the 2 1/4 oz patterns.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Man that was back in the good ol days. Now I have to shoot this TSS crap out of a wimpy 20 ga.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

gophert wrote:
Man that was back in the good ol days. Now I have to shoot this TSS crap out of a wimpy 20 ga.

I bought that choke on red tag sale at Walmart many years ago for about $5 or so IIRC. It just sat around as my old 835 is pretty unreliable, then one day I gave it a shot with Hevi and a legend was born lol. I still have that old choke and keep it incase I want to see ridiculous numbers with hevi or tss(it shot tss amazingly well too).

I also have another cheap original SD for winchoke threads that shoots really good in my old 1300s. I also have one for my SX3 and SX2 that shoots over 500 with hevi as well. Dad also uses an old SD in his Browning Gold with the old white H13 6s for pretty crazy results.

Had one in Remchoke that was hohum in my guns, but a buddy bought the 870 turkey a couple years ago and it shot really well for him with cheap Rem #5 lead of all things. I gave it to him and he loves the thing.

I'm with Tim though, I shoot wimpy 20ga guns these days. Have a pile of dang good shooting 12s I need to trip eventually, just no market it seems.
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

My dads got one for his 835. Havent tried any TSS through it yet, but that might change this spring.

Return to “Gun Talk”