Considering a Smaller CC Pistol?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

For those of you considering a smaller CC pistol, you might find this of interest http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=773

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
alpha burnt

Re: Considering a Smaller CC Pistol?

Post by alpha burnt »

There are a whole lot of options for small CC pocket pistols now it is almost mind boggling but I have carried a Ruger LCP daily for about 3 1/2 years (can be purchased for $315). I have managed to get used to shooting it fairly well, recoil is not mild like you would think. I load the magazine with PMC ball and Speer Gold Dot alternating because of the penetration tests I have seen. More than 15 yards and it is more of a deterrent than a stopper, not due to ballistics as you may think, due to my accuracy. Really though, when you think about it, when you have a surprise encounter you are more than likely going to be within 15 feet. It has a horrible trigger (LOOOOOOOONG-probably CYA on Rugers part knowing it would be pocket carried) and sights are extremely crude and almost non existent (will not snag on clothing- have got to where I do not look at them when shooting Q targets). The security and comfort of having it if things go south, keeps it in my DeSantis pocket holster. I have debated with myself over the years if it was a good decision based on all of the ones that have followed that have caught my eye. For me, considering the overall weight, the size, the price, reliable function, the fact it does not "print" or show outline in pants and ease of carry- I think that I made the right decision. I am eyeing the Glock 43 or Ruger LC9S Pro for inside the waist carry now...
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

I'd give a browning 1911 .380 a close look if a smaller cc pistol is what you are after. 85% size of a full size 1911. It's a fine pistol.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Alpha

My buddy says he will own a glock 43 he just bought a 42 for his wife a few months ago.

He said I must hold a 43 before I buy one,but I'm sold on the Smith and Wesson shield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Good review, Clark. If I was in the market for a small .380, that is one that I would take a long look at. I own a Kahr P9 and can't say enough good things about it, especially the trigger. Mine is a shooter. I've shot a Ruger LCP...no thanks. Worst trigger I have ever seen, but they sure do carry well.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Shot a Glock 43 a few weeks ago. I really liked it. Not a big pistol guy but damn it was nice. We were both eating the target up. Bought a scope instead tho. Not a pistol guy.
:-)

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

BTW. I carry a pistol in my truck, I'm not an idiot. Just not a pistol guy where I want a bunch of them.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Mikejd

Post by Mikejd »

The Kahr cw380 is a nice little cc. However with the fact that you can get so many 9mm cc guns that are just as small I dont see the need to carry the 380. For one the ammo is tougher to come by it also cost more then the 9mm. Still a nice firearm nonetheless.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I have the PM9, P380 and the LCP. Despite the awful trigger on the LCP, it is my preferred carry. Never had an issue with it cycling. Hard to accept a gun that has to have 200 rounds through it to be considered "reliable" and "broken in". It has a Buffalo Bore HP in the snout followed up by Buffalo Bore FN Cast bullets.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

I personally do not want anything under a 9mm. I know that bullet advancement has done a lot for small calibers, but with all the drugged up people in the streets this is one area I believe in making sure you have what it takes to stop them. Guns are being made small enough that the advantages a gun like a 380 offered are now very minuscule.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I can comfortably carry the LCP in pants pockets, front or back, with the pistol in a Blackhawk 1 pocket holster. I can't do that with the PM9. Wintertime is another matter as the PM9 is fine in a windbreaker pocket. Rather than make excuses not to carry the 9 and leave a pistol at home, the LCP is an easy to carry weapon, and it is far better than nothing in matters of last resort.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

S&W just did another run of the 432PD. Those don't show up on their site. I guess they just do a run when they get a big enough order. Mine should arrive Friday.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I carry a Shield 40 with CT laser. I have carried from a 25 auto to a 5" 1911.

The Shield 40 is perfect in size and power ratio to me.
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Sig P 238 if it is for deep conceal. One advantage is the ability to rack the slide with the safety on. It is very similar to a mini 1911.
Nice article as usual Clark.
allaboutshooting

Thank you all. Lots of good pistols out there now. Manufacturers have really responded to give us choices.

It's really all about what feels the best to us and allows us to carry every day.

The best one is the one that you have in your hand when you need it.

Thanks again,
Clark
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I just bought my daughter a LCR in 9mm, the moon clips will hold 5 rounds and the thing is fun to shoot.
For me, I carry the M&P Shield in 9mm
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
USMC0331

Post by USMC0331 »

Thanks for the information. I have tried to shoot the smaller handguns but I'am not satisfied with my accuracy. I cary the 1911 and the way I grip the 1911 does not work for me on the smaller pistols as I pull to hard at the bottom of the mag well even with extensions and I pull the barrel down which causes my terrible groups. If I was more accurate I would by a smaller pistol, unfortunately a 1911 has ruined me.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Clark, I know we discussed this on the other site that will not be named & I was still up in the air. A buddy has a Ruger LC9 that I really like. The only draw back is that my little finger waves in the wind. Ruger has a small attachment for the bottom of the clip that solves that issue.

I ordered an LC9S with a Crimson Trace laser sight. The striker trigger pull is a lot better than the LC9. I got the laser with the thought in mind that, if I'm ever in a bad situation, I just want to be able to point & shoot & not have to depend on my ability to quickly acquire the iron sights. Even with the laser, the LC9S is small enough for pocket carry.

Since I ordered it, 5 others have also ordered the same gun from my gun guy. It's been 5 weeks already & he has no idea when they'll be available. I stopped by last week & told him that, when I ordered the gun, I wasn't in a real big hurry but now, I WANT MY DAMNED GUN!!!! That got a good laugh from him, the other customers, & myself.

When I get it, I'll put it through it's paces & post a product review.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I have a Taurus LCP.380 that I can stick in my pocket, but that thing is basically for a last resort close quarter situation. I held the Glock43 (9mm) and it felt nice. I have the Glock 33 (.357) and it is nice also, but can be a tad bulky. I usually carry it in the small of my back. I held the S&W MP Shield 40. It felt nice, but was a little bigger than the Glock 43. I really really don't need another handgun, but I really liked that Glock 43....trying to fight off the urge to buy it!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
allaboutshooting

I really really don't need another handgun, but I really liked that Glock 43....trying to fight off the urge to buy it!
I've tried that but it just doesn't seem to work!

This past weekend while we were in Knoxville, I saw an ad in a local paper for some S&W Model 10 square butt, bull barrel revolvers. They hold a dear place in my heart for several reasons. They were trade-ins, holster worn but in excellent operating condition. Unfortunately, t when I called, they were all gone.

That's a gun from a long gone era but I let mine go, foolishly, and have wanted one to replace it ever since.

I'll just have to keep looking.

Thanks,
Clark
Last edited by allaboutshooting on June 30th, 2015, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allaboutshooting

When I get it, I'll put it through it's paces & post a product review.
Look forward to it George.

Thanks,
Clark
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Got a call from my gun guy this afternoon & my new toy, a Ruger LC9S with a Crimson Trace Laser sight was ready for me to pick it up. :cheers: :cheers: Bad thing is, he's closed tomorrow & I won't be able to get to town until Friday. :angry5: :banghead: I'm really looking forward to putting it though it's paces. I'll post a review when I'm done. :wav:
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

:thumbup:
HunterGKS wrote:Got a call from my gun guy this afternoon & my new toy, a Ruger LC9S with a Crimson Trace Laser sight was ready for me to pick it up. :cheers: :cheers: Bad thing is, he's closed tomorrow & I won't be able to get to town until Friday. :angry5: :banghead: I'm really looking forward to putting it though it's paces. I'll post a review when I'm done. :wav:
:thumbup: look forward to your review,been looking at one myself ,at the local shop,DON'T NEED ONE but I want one,before i can't get it!!!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I carry a .380 s&w body guard most of the time. I'm happy with it. A lot of people don't likem but I do.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm.......look no more

Return to “Gun Talk”